PDA

View Full Version : yaw effect when Wing taken damage

Enofinu
11-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Why doesnt P47 try to turn automatically at the damaged wing ?? all the other planes (not sure about P40) tend to roll at damaged wing side. Why doesnt P47 have this effect????

i think it should be there too, no matter how hard you hit it, it always flies like in rail http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

and should planes take such much that kinda "roll DM" when hitted with machine guns? i think cannons should only make that kinda damage with explosive ammo, cos they reshape wing quite alot wiht one bang. what you guys think about this??

VW-IceFire
11-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Unless 3.01 changed something, the P-47 has this effect same as any other.

You just have to hit it harder before it really becomes noticeable. The 47 is a very tough plane, one of the toughest of the war, if it can fly through barns and come back with bricks in the engine cowling it can take a few MG's and fly alright just the same.

Chuck_Older
11-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Enofinu-

You talk about reshaping a wing, but you have trouble understanding how machine gun holes could effect the lift generated by the wing.

Consider the area of the hole made, for one thing. many small holes can have the same effective size as one large hole.

Also consider that lift is generated by the way air flows over the wing. Things as small as trim tabs can alter the way the wing works. The addition of things to wings doesn't surprise you, when they alter the characteristics: things like flaps, or a trim tab, or a slat or spoilers, why should the reduction in area come as a surprise in terms of the wing losing effectiveness? Simply because the holes themsleves are small?

DangerForward
11-25-2004, 04:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enofinu:
Why doesnt P47 try to turn automatically at the damaged wing ?? all the other planes (not sure about P40) tend to roll at damaged wing side. Why doesnt P47 have this effect????

i think it should be there too, no matter how hard you hit it, it always flies like in rail http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

and should planes take such much that kinda "roll DM" when hitted with machine guns? i think cannons should only make that kinda damage with explosive ammo, cos they reshape wing quite alot wiht one bang. what you guys think about this?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the 190D9 has a reversal of stick forces type of damage that happens when the wing is hit, so I think it's on many planes.

Enofinu
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
2 hits with 30mm on wing, isnt that enought? and i bet cannon He ammo does much more bad to flyability than mg, cos plane skin panels fly apart from plane. that should affect MUCH more than few holes from mgun.

NorrisMcWhirter
11-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
The 47 is a very tough plane, one of the toughest of the war, if it can fly through barns and come back with bricks in the engine cowling it can take a few MG's and fly alright just the same.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 190 was also known to be a tough aircraft used for ground attack and heavy bomber interception in preference to the 109.

However, even very slight wing damage causes quite a reduction in top speed of the 190 + it takes on an even sharper stall profile and quite a significant yaw.

While I'm not suggesting that the 190 is as tough as the P-47 (according to anecdotal pilot accounts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ), I do feel that the 190 comes out very badly in this regard and that the P47 comes off more lightly.

Cheers,
Norris