PDA

View Full Version : PERSONAL reviews.******POSSIBLE SPOILERS****

FrozenFire550
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, seeing as how many of us are disappointed with the gaming website reviews. We should wait for all of our peers to tell us what THEY think of the game. WE all have a lot in common. WE have waited so long for the game, and I'm sure WE will love it.

Sadly, I have to wait until tomorrow until my store gets it. But I will be sure to post my first-impressions for those of you Europeans who have to wait longer. I'm sure many of us will be posting detailed things for the forum.

Seeing as how this game is turning out to be a "Love it or hate it" case(Supposedly), we can just stick together and love it within our little forum :]

So i'm asking any lucky person who got the game today...please take time from playing it, and tell us what you think of it.

***spoiler tags added

Dark_zip
11-13-2007, 02:50 PM
COUCHZOMBIE!!!! WE need YOU! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Dark_zip
11-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Ill save the day!

lets keep the "i got the game!" to one (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/6091076706) thread, thank you.

MasterNeilson
11-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Dark_zip:
COUCHZOMBIE!!!! WE need YOU! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

LMAO Dark_zip, LMAO.

FrozenFire550
11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
My thread has nothing to do with "OMG I GOT TEH GAEMZ!!"

I'm asking people to not lose all hope in the game, and wait until we have some personal reviews.

CouchZombie
11-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Dark_zip:
COUCHZOMBIE!!!! WE need YOU! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif yea, this is a bit different then bragging about getting the game, and i very open to the forum members having a unified thread, to tell how they would rate the game compared to the gametrailers, igns and gamespots of the web.

NECESARY_EVIL
11-13-2007, 03:08 PM
OUCH!

SJCHS_Ghost
11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Its sorta funny how all the reviews talk about the same points, free running, combat, ect. but come out of wiht with wildly different conclusions.

membernametaken
11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
*reserved for when I play the game and can post a review*

AirRon_2K7
11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
*Reserved 'cos I rock, and 'cos I will review this game at a later date...*

nucka
11-16-2007, 11:34 PM
I didn't have much hope for the game after I saw the first demonstration. It was extremely clunky. The Game Informer article had me very excited, but my hype died and decayed moreso with each new video demonstration, and I've hardly followed it since e307, so please don't accuse me of being overhyped or having any unrealized expecations, such as it not being "the ultimate stealth game" or "the first truly next-gen game". That being said, this is my review.

To start with, the game is gorgeous. Beautiful. It's quite clear that years of painstaking attention to detail were invested into the visuals, especially the city and the way Alteir interacts with it. The hub is quite lovely at a passing glance, and Alteir's movements are shockingly seamless. The kills are also highly stylized and impressive, from Alteir's pouncing maneuver to his brutal counterattacks. Some of the high points from which you are able to view the city can truly leave you breathless and unwilling to venture into the grimy pits of hustle and bustle below. One complaint is the occassional pop-in and slowdown in the 360 version, which I hear is worse on PS3. Not a big issue, but definitely very annoying. Also, the animations for standout NPCs, such as beggars, drunks, and monks, aren't especially convincing, almost stooping to the level of the obvious automation present in many Rockstar games. Regardless, as far as graphics technology, this game is second only to Crysis and Call of Duty 4. The artistic side of the visuals primarily strive for realism, so even though it's no Bioshock in that respect, the style is so perfectly realized through the visual presentation that it really doesn't need to be compared to the imaginative designs of other recent games.

The voice acting is spot-on, save for Alteir's actor. Let's not kid ourselves; no, it's not the accent. Ubisoft has a decent excuse for that. The issue with the voiceover for Alteir is that it is so forced and so unconvincing, and really detracts from the grace of his character. Silent, he is an incredibly admirable, fiercely insinctive and intelligent warrior, but as soon as he opens his mouth, he's as likeable as any Final Fantasy 10 character. The music is likeable and fitting, but also scarce, which wouldn't be a problem if the atmospheric sounds weren't so lacking, and this really hampers the livelihood of the city itself. A convincing city street would feature far more interaction between NPCs and massive amounts of idle chatter specific to individuals, and while I certainly don't expect any game to parellel real life, given the game's other technical feats I think that Ubisoft could have pulled it off. You'll hear comments from townsfolk but not nearly enough to convince you that they aren't just a bunch muted drones, and while there are vast amounts of character models for the random crowd NPCs and they function rather well as a moving group of people, they never really seem to have any purpose in life or awareness of each other aside from their deliberate avoidance of collision with other NPCs. It's not until Alteir does something outrageous that they seem anything but mere cattle. The ambitious crowd stealth mechanic certainly works, the crowd itself would have been far more convincing as lobotomy patients in a mental ward.

The guard AI also took a severe blow in fitting with the game's mechanics. You can easily avoid guards by hiding in one of the game's many deliberately placed hiding points, and while it's great to not have to sit and wait through two 99-second alert phases, the guards are too easily discouraged to give the "chase" element of the game the tension it needs. Worse yet, as soon as the alert phase ends, the guards forget Alteir's crimes altogether. Perhaps if the combat weren't as easy as it is, the gameplay would have some final thread of hope, but alas, foes rarely attack in full force and resemble the AI of classic arcade beat-em-ups, attacking one at a time and watching their allies fall under the brutality of Alteir's superior fighting skills, often as the result of their apparent lack of any training whatsoever. While this combat system isn't exactly broken, it detracts from the overall experience because, even moreso than the chase sequences, it offensively undermines the intelligence of the gameplayer. Immersion is an important factor in gaming, and in sacrificing it for the sake of creating merely functional gameplay, Ubisoft has successfully obliterated what little enjoyability there is to be found in the real meat of Assassin's Creed's. The most fun many of you will get out of this game is easiliy in the exhilirating acrobatics, but they do not play heavily into the progression of the game itself and, much like Grand Theft Auto 3, your excitement at the unprecedented freedom will eventually wear off before you must suck it up and explore what the game is really trying to offer you, except in this case, it's really not much. It's depressing to see that for all the effort that went into bringing the interaction with the city to life, so little went into the interactions with the NPCs.

The cinematics, like the graphics, are often striking. Some of the in-game cutscenes are truly on par with the most epic of films, and watching them from the crowd's perspective is a very nice touch. The story itself is very hit-or-miss and the sci-fi element may or may not play to Ubi's advantage in the future (no pun intended) iterations of AC, but here it seems to exist only to give the game length and complicate its plot for the sake of seeming intelligent, unique, or innovative. This backstory certainly works, but it's ultimately unecessary, and many gamers would probably prefer that this effort were channeled into the real meat of Assassin's Creed. The game also becomes very tiresome before its anticlimactic ending thanks to having every element introduced within the opening hours. Every assassination mission is fundamentally identical with little surface variation, but if you don't mind monotony and can get around the massive shortcomings of the gameplay, I recommend picking it up.

There is no multiplayer to speak of, but good or bad, Assassin's Creed wasn't really designed with multiplayer in mind, and that's alright. Perhaps there will be downloadable content in the future, but no one is expecting much yet.

Assassin's Creed is at times an incredible and revolutionary game, and at others a big flop. I'm not sure as to exactly why Ubi wasn't able to fully realize the unprecedented ambition of Assassin's Creed, but I can't say I blame them. The elements that excel, truly excel, and the elements that fail do so by design. These piss-poor components seem to have been thrown together with less care than haste, perhaps out of fear for how long it would take for this game to live up to its full potential, or for a lack of resources, but who the hell knows? Regardless, it seems impossible that with the dedication it took to design the world of Assassin's Creed that these same designers aspired so low when creating the equally important inhabitants of that world. Despite my sympathy, I can't excuse the overall mediocrity. Sometimes unmatched, sometimes unbelievably stupid, Assassin's Creed may be a glimpse into the distant future of great gaming, and I highly recommend it as a rental. With perhaps another year of effort, there's no telling how remarkable this game would have been.

midna1
11-17-2007, 05:51 AM
I was disappointed with the official reviews. AC has amazing emergant gameplay. And its a disservice to the combat system if you just use counters. The combat is great when you mix it up. The key being your positioning and rhythmic heavy/light combos to break the enemy. Just like the original 2D prince of persia by Jordan Mechner. I would have liked a long day/night cycle and SotC Agro style controls for the horses. Also the animation on Agro by Fumito Udea's team cant be beat (the gallop stride pattern in AC seems a bit bouncy) Otherwise I love this game. And you need to turn the hud fully off for the proper game. And Jade Raymond is proper beautiful. Well done.

nucka
11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm watching these videos narrated by Jade Raymond. She's attractive, but so ditzy that I'm suprised no one else has said the same.

JMCA2006
11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey all! just thought i'd do my own personal review of AC for your readin pleasure!

well here goes....

Right from the start Assassins Creed will keep you entertained, with free-running, interrogation, eaves-dropping and of course assassinating.

The story for Assassins Creed is well thought of and will keep you guessing throughout your entire playing experience.

**SPOILERS(highlight to read)**
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">The story centres around a young bartender named Desmond Miles, who has been kidnapped by a pharmacutical organization known as Abstergo, who are trying to find something within the memory of Desmond using a machine named the Animus to read his DNA (which stores memories as a kind of archive.)</span>
**SPOILERS END**

The combat in the game is very well done, with the use of counter kills and 4 different weapons (Long Sword, Short sword, Hidden Blade and Fists) to choose from. You also have some throwing daggers which can be used when you are not in a combat situation.

The games free running animations also work very well, with different animations linking together to help create a smooth feel while you are climbing. Almost every structure is climbable in Assassins Creed, as Altair can grab onto anything that is about 2 inches away out of the wall.

Assassins creed also features some investigation side missions which can involve 1 of 4 things (Pick-Pocketing, Eaves-Dropping, Speaking with an Informer and Interrogation.) The player must complete 3 of these investigation missions before they can go onto the main assassination.

You can also save citizens of the 3 huge cities (Acre, Damscus and Jerusalem) allowing you to aquire a bit of help when being chased by guards or by letting you blend in with a crowd of monks.

The assassinations are also varied as some targets will flee, allowing their guards to take care of you and some will stand and fight, hoping to kill you before you kill them.

The game does have some bugs such as freezing and screen tearing. The screen tearing is hardly noticable while you are running around the cities and the game can get repetetive however you will hardly notice this either as you will be having to much fun free-running across rooftops or fighting countless numbers of guards.

Ratings:

Graphics - 10
Gameplay - 9
Sound - 10

Feel free to ask me any questions and i'll answer them if I can!

midna1
11-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by nucka:
I'm watching these videos narrated by Jade Raymond. She's attractive, but so ditzy that I'm suprised no one else has said the same.

Unfortunately most people who buy the game are quite thick - as demonstrated on the forum. So Jade has to get on their level.... for shame.

AC could only have been produced by an exceptional leader. Someone who could command a team of chauvinist Frenchmen and kick them in the nuts to deliver the game. She's right up there with Miyamoto, Koijima, Itagaki and Cliffy B as an all star ***-kicker. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif And she's proper gorgeous