PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rate question

antifreeze
03-13-2004, 03:38 AM
Can anyone explain this:

I set all video settings to excellent and enter a mission.
Sitting on the runway I get 30fps looking front. I look at the up sky and get 75fps (which is my monitors max refresh rate... coincidence or are they related?). I take off and fly around the airfield and get an average of about 36fps in this particular mission.
I exit the mission and drop all the video settings down to the lowest they will go. I start the same mission again, and get exactly the same frame rates as before!.

I'm confused. I thought I would get a 'maxed-out' 75 fps on lowest settings, or at least a higher average in the 50's or 60's. Does this imply that something other than my video-card is bottle-necking, and therefore impeding my frame rates?

System:
2Ghz Intel CPU
512Mb PC800 RDRAM (PC800 is max supported by the mobo).
GeForce ti4600 128Mb

http://forgotten.battles.pulpo.co.uk/il2logo.gif

antifreeze
03-13-2004, 03:38 AM
Can anyone explain this:

I set all video settings to excellent and enter a mission.
Sitting on the runway I get 30fps looking front. I look at the up sky and get 75fps (which is my monitors max refresh rate... coincidence or are they related?). I take off and fly around the airfield and get an average of about 36fps in this particular mission.
I exit the mission and drop all the video settings down to the lowest they will go. I start the same mission again, and get exactly the same frame rates as before!.

I'm confused. I thought I would get a 'maxed-out' 75 fps on lowest settings, or at least a higher average in the 50's or 60's. Does this imply that something other than my video-card is bottle-necking, and therefore impeding my frame rates?

System:
2Ghz Intel CPU
512Mb PC800 RDRAM (PC800 is max supported by the mobo).
GeForce ti4600 128Mb

HH Quazi
03-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Allot of it has to do with the resolution you are using. Sounds like it is working well from what I've read of your post. You could post a dxdiag on the Community Help forum and ask those guys over ther if they see anything you can change or fix to increase your frame rates. I did and they were a great help. They picked up on several things that helped. Any reply you get from LuckyBoy1 and Steve_v, after you post your dxdiag of course, do whatever they suggest. IMO, they are miracle workers when it came to helping me increase my frame rates. Good Luck! S!

antifreeze
03-13-2004, 05:24 AM
ok... will do. thanks

Spinne_3.-JG51
03-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Your CPU has to pass the polygons data to the video card before the card can render the polygons i.e, your video vard is not the bottle-neck, your cpu is. Your framerates should drop further when you have more stuff flying around since there are more polygons to be worked out by your CPU and passed to the video card for rendering. Try it, and let me know if I'm correct.

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~vk5qa/images/forumsig.jpg

"Come on in, I'll treat you nice! I used to know your father."

von_Albert
03-13-2004, 08:39 AM
It nothing so complex. Everything is working exactly as it should. The reason your max FPS is 75 is because that is the refresh rate of your monitor. The reason they are the same is bacause V Sync is turned on in your Open GL settings. V Sync (Vertical syncronisation)matches the monitor vertical sync rate and prevents "peeling" which makes the looking around the cockpit very smooth.

The down side of using V Sync is that when VERY low to the ground where there are transitions between forest, rivers, lakes and open areas, the rendering is a little slower and you'll see very marginal stuttering even though FPS might show over 30 if you are doing hard rolls, etc.

I still don't know what bothers me more. The very slight stutters, or the peeling in the cockpit. I know it's not too common to spend a lot of time doing hard maneuvering just above the deck while skimming over forests, but I like having everything as smooth as possible.

There is always talk about a high average FPS that I don't find too helpful. That's easy to do...just fly around looking at just the sky. I'm always more concerned about what are people getting for Frame rates in the worst conditions. If those are acceptable, the rest is gravy.

3.2 GHz with an ATI 9800 pro and I still fly with only excellent at 1024 resolution, and 2x Anti Aliasing. Even then, I'll notice slow downs occasionally, but I'm talking about flying about 5 meters above the ground while screaming down "Unter den Linden Stra├če" on my way to buzz the Reichstag. Then I'm getting about 25-30 FPS.