PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at realistic mode heeeelp!

harold x
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
i have been a fan of all olegs flight sims. i have all 3. for the first time ever i tried a campaign in realitic mode. I found it very difficult. i could not determine friendly from enemy.i am about to quit. any help

harold x
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
i have been a fan of all olegs flight sims. i have all 3. for the first time ever i tried a campaign in realitic mode. I found it very difficult. i could not determine friendly from enemy.i am about to quit. any help

Heavy_Weather
02-09-2005, 10:33 AM
if and when you spot an aircraft it might help to use the zoom option to see if you can tell what kinda aircraft it is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

dieg777
02-09-2005, 10:43 AM
If they fire at you they are not friendly
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Other than that look at direction they are flying from- compaire this to bases on maps and front lines
Always assume they are not friendly while you approach them.
If you see tracers check the colours
cant remember all exactly but think German are blue - British red etc

womenfly
02-09-2005, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dieg777:
If they fire at you they are not friendly
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Other than that look at direction they are flying from- compaire this to bases on maps and front lines
Always assume they are not friendly while you approach them.
If you see tracers check the colours
cant remember all exactly but think German are blue - British red etc <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and sometimes they are!

Stiglr
02-09-2005, 01:27 PM
First off, congratulations for taking the challenge. DO NOT GO BACK TO AN 'EASIER' FORM OF FLYING!!!

Second of all, you will simply need adjustment time to be able to tell planes apart. And sometimes, you just won't know until you're close enough. Sometimes not even then. I've been at this a LONG time, and I can remember a LOT of times when I was this close to squeezing the trigger on a friend, and stopped my finger just in the nick of time. I also have fired on a friendly a time or two!!

You will develop this skill, and others, as time goes on. if you make mistakes, apologize profusely, and accept that some guys will be rather sore at you (as they should!) But, accidents will happen, so just move on and keep improving.

The advice others give you about letting your situation dictate your "guesses" about friend or foe is good advice. A plane flying towards you is more likely to be an enemy than one flying parallel to you, as a VERY general rule. Low flying planes near friendly ground forces are more likely to be enemy. Learning the various tracer colors is another.

tjaika1910
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Problem is that AI always know the difference. But try with something easy, Spits, biplanes, FW, I-16, Corsair or whatever thats easy to identify. After a while you can identify a lot be seeing from distance the planes movements, at least with human players.

If you fly against friends you actually identify then on their flying style!

nickdanger3
02-09-2005, 05:07 PM
You could customize your icon settings so that they are something similiar to what you find online at Warclouds.

That is to say there are no ranges or colors given, only aircraft types at about 2 km. I've always this setup was a valid way to be MORE real while working within the limits of computer monitors and non-gamer video cards.

You'll need to modify one of the default files in the IL2 directory, but it's not that hard.

gmot_ka
02-10-2005, 03:27 AM
I was using limited icons for a very long time. 2-3 mothes ago I tried too fly Full Real. It's difficult at the begining but I won't switch back anymore.

Of course in reallity you can identify the planes from much biger distance. The AI knows if you are an enemy or not. .. but for me it feels much more like reall flying and fighting.

Some tips:
-Use the zoom in and out fuction.
-Keep SA. When you fly try too know where your planes are. When you meeet the enemy and hear: 'Enemy at 10o'clock' you will spot them and know they are enemy. (To keep SA during battle is more dificult.)
-Download a static campaing. Eg. "The Blue". Here you are flying Gladiators mostly. The Italian planes are easy to id, because they have two wings of different lenght. There are (almost) allways some things to help you id the planes. Eg. Bf109 have the radiotor in the wing (close to the body(?) of the plane). P40 wings are bendtup a bit (like a streched V).
- Just fly and practice. When you had problems with one mission, just fly it again.
- Use Zoom in and out!

After some time you want regret it.

gmot_ka
02-10-2005, 04:01 AM
Two more tips:
-enable at the beginig external view and icons. Just toggle the icons off by hiting the right button ('E'). When you think you know what plane you see you can verify it.

Also look from outside how your and the enemy planes look. Look at the skin. You can zoom out as far as you want. At the begining it helps a lot. The first thing I do when starting a new campaing is too look at my skin. Is it dark or not?

Have fun.

flyingscampi
02-10-2005, 04:03 PM
It's not very realistic but you can use the lasers to identify enemy planes - russians are the tie fighters and americans are x-wings http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I can't remember where I go this from but someone kindly provided the following information about how to customise the icons:

MP_DOTRANGE

To activate the console, go into the chat window and type "&gt;"

All information entered into the chat window will be treated as console commands until you backspace over the "&gt;" character.

You can also toggle in and out of console mode by pressing Shift-Tab.

There are a number of parameters available for the mp_dotrange command. They are:

FRIENDLY & FOE - applies to friendly or enemy units. To apply the same settings to both sides, omit this parameter.
DOT - Specifies the range at which the dot becomes visible.
NAME - Range at which Pilot name becomes visible.
COLOR - Range at which the icon takes on the army colour.
TYPE - How far the aircraft type information is displayed.
RANGE - Distance at which range information is displayed.
ID - Where the aircraft ID numbers become visible.

This command is case sensitive. "mp_dotrange" must be in lowercase and the parameters are in uppercase. Range is specified in km after each parameter, and I believe that the minimum distance you can specify is 0.05km. The default distances are DOT 16km and all other information 6km.

&gt;mp_dotrange DEFAULT Restore the icons to the default distances.
&gt;mp_dotrange Display the current icon settings in the console.

There is also a way to shortcut these longwinded versions of the mp_dotrange command. In your IL2 directory there a file called rcu. Note that this file has no extension, and after modifying it you need to ensure that notepad hasn't been too helpful and added a .txt extension to it. In this file you can set aliases for long commands you use frequently. An alias is a shorthand version of the command. The default version of the rcu file contains the following text.

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 100

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

I don't know what the first line does. I think the second tells the IL2 console to echo the contents of the chat window. The 3rd activates aliases. The forth tells IL2 how many lines of chat to remember in the game chatlog.

The line @alias a alias sets "a" as a shorthand for "alias". The two following lines use the alias "a" to set "h" as an alias for "history" and "s" as an alias for "show".
If you add the following lines to your rcu. file, you will be able to apply any of the above icon settings with a 3 or 4 character command instead of typing the whole schemozzle quoted above each time you start a game.

@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

With these lines in your rcu. file typing "&gt;tul" in the chat window will activate my version of the icon settings. Typing "&gt;v2ff" will activate the second set of settings mentioned.
Typing "&gt;v1fr" will activate the friendly icon settings in the first scheme, and "&gt;v1fo" will activate the foe settings in the first scheme.

My Settings

DOT 15
NAME 0.005
COLOR 0.005
TYPE (FRIENDLY) 0.005
TYPE (FOE) 1.5
RANGE 0.005
ID 0.005

Bearcat99
02-11-2005, 05:01 AM
This is a part of the beauty of this sim.. when you get good enough at one level you can kick it up a notch and it in effect becomes a whole new sim.

tigertalon
02-11-2005, 05:21 AM
Can you imagine dogfights with same type of aircraft on both sides?

Well, it happened IRL... Germany's invasion on Yugoslavia in april 1941 for example: Bf109E v Bf109E (Yugoslavians at that time had 73 Bf109Es plus some Hurricanes and IK3s of domestic production...) I'm not sure, but maybe it happened Finland vs. Soviets also: Hurri v Hurri...

Anybody maybe knows any more battles in WW2 where similar type of aircraft was involved on both sides (beside captured examples: Finland flew everything they could capture: I15s I16s..., Russians flew 190D9s in 1945...)?

Blue-Lexus
02-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Hang in there it will get better

Sir.Robin-1337
02-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Whether you choose to fly Arcade, or Full Real.. simply be the best pilot in that category.

johnbn
02-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Be lucky.

The more you practice the luckier you get.
(Gary Player)