PDA

View Full Version : OT: The 4x4 Debate Revived

Kaleun1961
02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Not trying to start another contentious exchange, but I have to confess to personal participation in the acquisition of a 4x4 by a family member. My son has been looking for his first vehicle for a while now. This afternoon I went with him to our local Chevy dealer and I helped him work out a deal on a 2007 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 pickup truck. It's not full time four wheel drive, but it can be selected. Where I live in Southern Ontario we can get heavy snow and slippery driving conditions. He wanted a full sized truck and got the extended cab, seating for up to 6 people. 4.8 Litre V-8 Vortec engine; can run on up to 85% ethanol.

I was able to help him by giving him over $1400 I had in GM money on my GM credit card, plus he had $500 in Ring in and Win money, plus they took my Grand Am back off lease early and they make the first two months payment for him as a graduate.

In the interest of safety, viz a viz our recent discussion, it features a "C" clamp to snag the rear bumber of another car in a rear ender to prevent the truck climbing over the car. I sent him through driver training with Young Drivers of Canada when he was first learning to drive. Being a firefighter and constantly seeing his share of carnage on the road, he's a safe and defensive driver.

TheRealPotoroo
02-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Not trying to start another contentious exchange,
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Kaleun1961
02-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Yuk Yuk! Thanks for not taking the bait. In light of my participation in that debate, I felt that the right thing for me to do was confess. Otherwise, I would feel like a gross hypocrite in keeping that secret.

klcarroll
02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Not trying to start another contentious exchange,...........

To quote Winston Churchill; "Although present on the occasion, I have no clear recollection of the events leading up to it."

That's my story, ....and I'm sticking to it!

Bucketlung
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
I must have missed the 4x4 debate.

I think you have to buy a vehicle based on where you live. I live in 4x4 country.

Let the people who live in the sunbelt ride bicycles!

klcarroll
02-16-2007, 11:45 AM
I must have missed the 4x4 debate.

I think you have to buy a vehicle based on where you live. I live in 4x4 country.

The "Great 4x4 Debate" occurred in the thread: "OT What would you put in Room 101?"

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/3821031825

Once you read it, you will see that while I agree with your viewpoint, there is little incentive to open that particular discussion again!