PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Card help needed

William66th
05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I just went out and purchased a Nvidia GeForce 6600 AGP 256Meg card. Oringinally I had a 5200 128 meg AGP card of the same brand. My question now is after i installed the card I fired up SH3 and went into a mission and found hardly any difference at all if anything the performance of the card seemed worse then before. Seemed to stutter more then before. Also I would love to switch my screen resolution and see what a difference that makes. I have a week to play with this card before it goes back. My favorite things to do on my computer is of SH3, FS2004, and My nascar games. So dar in fs2004 i have seen improvement but not enough to warrent the cost of the card everything still is blurry.

What is the best card for Sh3 keep in mind that i do NOT have a motherboard that supports PCI express.

I also upgraded the power supply from a wimpy 250Watt to a 500Watt since the card needed the extra power.

My system is a Dell
Windows XP Service pack 1
256 Meg Agp 8x nvidia Geforce 6600
2.80 Pentium 4
1.25 Gig of Ram

Basic specs here maybe someone can help. In ATI the way to go or best to stick to Nvidia chipped cards now.

Thanks for the help as always.
I look forward to joining everyone back out or under the sea.

William66th

Let me know what has been working best

Lochmann1957
05-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Even though you just puchased the card it probably does not have the newest drivers installed.

Hit the Nvidia website and make sure you have the latest version loaded up.

doug.d
05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by William66th:
I just went out and purchased a Nvidia GeForce 6600 AGP 256Meg card. Oringinally I had a 5200 128 meg AGP card of the same brand.
Whilst I'm a little surprised that you haven't seen much improvement over your old card, I'm not at all surprised you're not happy with the 6600. It really is a lead-in-the-pants slouch, get rid of it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Using my recently replaced, 4 year old ATI Radeon 9700 Pro as a benchmark, its way faster than your 6600 and played SH3 very well, but with some stuttering here and there. You at least need the 6600 "GT" version.

To see relative performance of your 6600 against other cards, go to Tom's Hardware AGP VGA charts VII (http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/index.html)
To pick up your old card go to the older charts AGP VGA charts IV (http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/10/04/vga_charts_iv/index.html)

From these charts, choose a card that outperforms my 9700 Pro and you will be much happier with SH3. Personally I'm an ATI fanboy, I just think it does games like SH3 better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mariuszj1939
05-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm also surprised.
I had GF 5200 (128 MB) and now play SHIII on
GF 6600 (256 MB).
There is huge difference especially no more slow downs (with compression time 512 or open fire on ships after attack - external view).

Fish40
05-09-2006, 04:37 AM
Be sure to update ALL DRIVERS!!! That includes Chipset, BIOS, Video, and Sound. Test again, and let us know if it's any better.

William66th
05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm a little confused as to what you mean by updating the drivers. I went to the nvidia site and looked for drivers for this specific card however have not been able to find any. The only drivers showing are the ones that I used for my previous card. I have however seen some drivers that are NOT nvidia made but im not sure if they are such a good idea after all.

As for the improvment in the game, I guess maybe i mislead some of you. Yes there has been SOME improvment to the game such as increased smoothness where it used to jerk around alot. As somebody mentioned before i have seen improvment with fires and things but yet not as much as expected for 2x the previous card video memory. I guess thats why im confused. Acoording to the site that was refrenced above my card doesn't do to well at all in the comparisons. Kind of sad i thought Geforce was top of its game.

So im wondering if anyone here also uses any type of flight simulators such as fs2004 and what card runs both SH3 and the simulators pretty well.

I just assumed by updating video card that everything would be ALOT better then it was before.

The worst in SH3 is when im in a horrible storm i can actually see the ships stop sometimes as the card tries to redraw. Possible causes for this could be refresh rate of screen. Currently i have that set at 75.

Again any help is great

Thanks again
William

TheRealWulfmann
05-09-2006, 08:09 AM
No matter what you use SH3 will have areas that will slow some. Even with a 64bit and PCIx big VC TC at 2048 will slow when it nears a convoy etc.
But, each step up improves things and it really sounds like you need a driver update because the 6600 should show a marked improvement.
I am surprised there are not newer drivers at Nvidea.
Post over at Firing Squad as the tech geeks love to solve these problems. This is where I go to get at the tough questions.
When you find new drivers you need to do an uninstall of your old drivers, not just over write the old ones.
Since I use ATI stuff (up to now) I can not advise where and how on Nvidea but Firing squad can.
Link
http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board?board.id=hardware

Wulfmann

doug.d
05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by William66th:
So im wondering if anyone here also uses any type of flight simulators such as fs2004 and what card runs both SH3 and the simulators pretty well.
Thanks again
William
I ran IL2 FB+AEP+PF, Lock On, SF and CFS3 with the old 9700 Pro, all played well but not perfect. This is a no brainer, take the 6600 back and get something as high up on the charts as your budget allows. Try for something in the top 10.(Pacific Fighters is one of the test games on the charts btw.)

TheRealWulfmann
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I would agree with Lenin22 that the 7600 coming in AGP would be the better bet. The 6800 has had issues with SH3 by many posting here and is driver sensitive more than any other in SH3.

The thing is any AGP card will be half the perfromance for that same model in PCIx and will likely cost a hundred bucks more.
That is the price of a new MoBo by itself so if you sprang for an AMD 3200 for $150.00 and an Asus non SLI MB A8 version you would for about $125.00 more than you are now considering and triple SH3 perfromace over anything you do in AGP at the money you are spending now.
Just a thought.
Wulfmann