PDA

View Full Version : Help with starting diesel engine after submersion

hayduke_
03-27-2005, 07:06 AM
I've looked throught out the forums and can't find anyone having my problem. Sometimes when I surface the sub after doing routine hydrophone checks I can't get the diesels started. I have plenty of crew in the diesel compartment. The only way I've been able to get it started is by switching officers positions. Please help!!!

quillan
03-27-2005, 07:09 AM
It's not a matter of crew numbers, it's a matter of efficiency. At the top of each compartment is a green progress bar. On the engine compartments, it has to be at least so far over for the engines to run. It's possible the men are tired enough that you don't have enough efficiency for the diesels to run. Try switching out some of them with fresh men from quarters and see if it helps.

sjoerd1972
03-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Welcome to da club dude, cant help you with your problem but im sure someone can around here.

horrido1962_
03-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Yes - I've seen this too. I think its because your guys are tired - even tho the compartment is full, the total efficiency of the compartment is not high enough. Try manually putting in a few fresher guys, or like the other person said, add an officer. If you use warrent officers, or specialties, it also helps

rickwalt2
03-27-2005, 08:36 AM
I've had this occur when stopping the engines on the surface. I've tried putting all fresh personal in the engine room but sometimes it dosen't help.

Go to periscope depth and then back to the suface and the engine's will start. If this was a problem with the crew being tired then this shouldn't work.

Rick

Kayotik82
03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Its due to the efficiency bar (green bar) I tend to notice that if you have all seamen operating, it wont be enough to handle the workload. I usually put 1 or 2 officers in there, and another officer who is specialized in operating engines and never have a problem.

vodkaphile
03-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I've had it plenty of times and I can safely say, it's a bug. All you have to do is hit time compression a couple times and they'll start. I thought this was a cool feature at first too but usually just pressing the compression button once starts them instantly i.e. 2x time compression.

BaneSixEcho
03-27-2005, 09:20 AM
It's happened to me more than a few times as well. It's definately not a matter of having a tired crew, they just don't start the engines. The quickest way I've found to get them going again is to order Back Slow and they'll fire right up.

GT182
03-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I had it happened to me leaving Brest on my patrol. Selected "Ahead Slow" but got "Unable to Comply". Had to go into crew and place more crewmen in the engine room. Then all was ok and got underway.

riekl
03-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I've had this to but have a different solution .. if i order back slow the engines start then i kick it to forward. time compression doesnt start them for me in this bug.