PDA

View Full Version : Seafire, Knots or MPH?

WOODY01
05-10-2007, 06:56 AM
I have been putting in a bit of time in the Seafire latly mainly due to the 60Lb rockets and Carrier ability. I noticed tonight the Speedo dial says its reading in MPH, but the indacated speed is in Knots (I have 2 charts on my monitor - Knots to KPH and another MPH to KPH.) I usually run the Speedbar off and so would have never picked it up usually, but tonight it was on in KPH and it was indercating Knots, not MPH. (ie: when the needle was pointing at 180 I was doing 333KPH not 289KPH as it would be if the speedo was indead reading MPH)
Or am I dreaming?

berg417448
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I've seen a photo of a Seafire airspeed indicator somewhere that was calibrated in knots. I've also read about some Gladiators which were transfered to the RN from the RAF and they made note of changing the airspeed indicator to ones which indicated in knots.

WOODY01
05-11-2007, 06:53 AM
This is only a 'bug concern' due to the fact I was avoiding some dogfights because I thought I was going alot slower than I actually was, as I thought it was displaying MPH.

I think Im finally able to manage the ridiculose overheat now I know Im opperating in Knots too.

Philipscdrw
05-11-2007, 12:42 PM
It's still better than the P47, which studiously avoids putting units on any of the gauges!

Cheers for the info, must remember this...

Skoshi Tiger
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
180 Knots is fairly close to 333KM/h (verified by my Kane Mk6B Dead reconing computer). You are not seeing things, your air speed indicator is reading in Knots.

Which is fairly reasonable, in that the Aircraft carrier it would be flying from would probably be reporting it's speed in knots as well, so the pilot would not have to do a conversion when doing piloty things like navigating and such. Always good to keep things standard.