PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card and Video Card for IL2 and PF

IZT
10-24-2004, 08:39 AM
I want to get a 6600GT it fits my budget and i know its a great choice. However does anyone know when the AGP version of this card will appear on the market? I want to upgrade in Nov or Dec, will that be possible?

Also I am planning to get a soundcard. Since i don't want to spend too much on one i just need a card that suits for gaming and not for Pro editing of music files. So i Found the Audigy 2 Value card which is of coz cheaper than the audigy card can anyone tell me the difference between this card and the normal one? Will it provide the performance needed only for gaming, will it be sufficient??

I have a fairly powerful CPU 2.66 GHZ and 1GB of RAM so i think i just need help with these cards. Im ONLI looking for a Vid card and Sound Card

IZT
10-24-2004, 08:39 AM
I want to get a 6600GT it fits my budget and i know its a great choice. However does anyone know when the AGP version of this card will appear on the market? I want to upgrade in Nov or Dec, will that be possible?

Also I am planning to get a soundcard. Since i don't want to spend too much on one i just need a card that suits for gaming and not for Pro editing of music files. So i Found the Audigy 2 Value card which is of coz cheaper than the audigy card can anyone tell me the difference between this card and the normal one? Will it provide the performance needed only for gaming, will it be sufficient??

I have a fairly powerful CPU 2.66 GHZ and 1GB of RAM so i think i just need help with these cards. Im ONLI looking for a Vid card and Sound Card

LuckyBoy1
10-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Upgrading is more complicated than that as it relates to this game. This game is very CPU intensive and a good CPU will be needed to push any video card upgrade. Post this question along with your diagnosis in the Community Help forum and you'll get a better answer.

Marek_Steele
10-24-2004, 12:34 PM
At the time I got my audigy2, it was the "creative audigy 2 bulk" model, wich shared the same drivers as the other models (some oem versions of the live were less functional and needed specific drivers), the only difference from the boxed model was that it's got coloured plastic jacks instead of golden ones and a normal looking firewire port, but hey, at that time the price was almost half. It's the same card as the discontinued audigy 2 (standard) but without better jacks.
Now you have the audigy2 value wich seems to be like mine but without the firewire and midi/gameport, but added 7.1 capability as newer models. Doesn't seem to have the other extras like dts as the zs model, but hey, software dvd players can do it too. In the page they say it supports eax 4.0 etc, so for gaming it will be the same for you as any other audigy 2. Looking at the pcb, some other connections seem to be missing, maybe the extra front panel and internal spdif ones.
Then you have also the ZS model that replaced the normal audigy 2, wich is 7.1 instead of 6.1, and has a built in dts decoder (older model only had dolby), for games if you use up to 6.1 it's the same, as what matters are it's dsound3d capabilities and extensions as eax 3.0 (or 4, but il2 only supports up to 3) that sounds better than vanilla dsound3d.
The upper models will offer you eproms that you'll need for better ASIO latency (and asio 2.0 in more quality options) if you are into sound producing, but anyway, envy chips are much better for that application.

SwingerSpecial
10-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I think the Audigy 2 VE is sufficient if you're only planning on using it for games. Consider the other models if you need Firewire plugs or think about doing MIDI recording.

The Nvidia 6600 series availability in AGP form is a very good question... my guess is for availability "on paper" sometime in December, but the end-of-year shipping disaster & low inventories will push "real" availability to January. NOTE: Don't take this as the ultimate truth, this is just my guesstimate based on how these things have worked out in the past.

If you want to have a hot card for Christmas, then you should be looking for a base model 6800 - yes, it's more money, but are you willing to sit on your money for another 2-3 months before you have your card?

BaldieJr
10-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Just installed an audigy2 VE last. Its a good card. My onboard audio sounded just as good, but it was eating about 15 fps. Not so with audigy2 VE.