PDA

View Full Version : Is the AI in 4.0x to be believed?

MelonheadUK
06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't have any comments yet on the new FM as I've not spent more than 4 hours flying with it, but one thing I have noticed is the change in the AI. I know it's meant to use the new FM now, but to me it feels like it's doing even more things I just can't match. I used to fly my Spitfire IX against an average BF109G6 and win 4 out of 5 encounters, but with the new AI I dropped back to a BF109E4. Then a Fiat CR42. Then an MS406. And still I blackout trying to match its turns, and run out of steam matching its climb rate. Same with a Corsair against an A6M2 - now the Zero's always up with me or above me and it just feels like my plane can't compete. I don't feel like my sudden lack of ability is due to the FM affecting me, I just think fighting the AI always feels like taking the worst plane up against an ace in the best plane. I'm always close to black out and watching manoeuvres I just don't think should be possible.

Any other offline flyers got the feeling they're facing a totally different foe?

MelonheadUK
06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't have any comments yet on the new FM as I've not spent more than 4 hours flying with it, but one thing I have noticed is the change in the AI. I know it's meant to use the new FM now, but to me it feels like it's doing even more things I just can't match. I used to fly my Spitfire IX against an average BF109G6 and win 4 out of 5 encounters, but with the new AI I dropped back to a BF109E4. Then a Fiat CR42. Then an MS406. And still I blackout trying to match its turns, and run out of steam matching its climb rate. Same with a Corsair against an A6M2 - now the Zero's always up with me or above me and it just feels like my plane can't compete. I don't feel like my sudden lack of ability is due to the FM affecting me, I just think fighting the AI always feels like taking the worst plane up against an ace in the best plane. I'm always close to black out and watching manoeuvres I just don't think should be possible.

Any other offline flyers got the feeling they're facing a totally different foe?

Chuck_Older
06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
This is taking up valuable racing time so I'll be breif:

Turn off blackouts and redouts until you get a handle on the new FM. Then you'll know for sure if it's your playing style that had to adapt, or if the AI is 'cheating' even more than usual

Tooz_69GIAP
06-17-2005, 04:13 PM
It sounds like you are not using your aircraft's advantages correctly. If you are fighting CR42s in Spits, why on earth are you attempting to turn with them??

You should extend, climb, and dive on the git!! Same against Zeros, and so on. Use your aircraft's superior speed and to get away from a bad engagement, and turn back in and re-engage on your terms, not the AI.

SeaFireLIV
06-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I`m not seeing this, in fact fighting AI is technically easier, it`s just shooting them that`s hard. Also, AI tend to race away now if they think they have a speed advantage on you. Blackouts only tend to happen to me on the faster aircraft like the LA5s and P39s and still not a problem as long as you prepare for this.

Also, don`t forget your boost on the Spit. I was flying for 3 missions wondering why I couldn`t catch up anything because I forgot my boost control. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

arcadeace
06-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Blackouts aren't much a problem for me either. Really, what Tooz said. You need to exploit speed over the best turners in the sim. You'll never defeat them down low. The AI has the same FM, that means in some respects they're better then before, and in some worse. I find I now can out-turn some a/c I couldn't before and vise verse. Play against a Zero in the P-38L and as long as you're patient you have definite speed BnZ; if necessary even going head-on with greater firepower. Be more careful placing an emphasis on your plane's particular advantages. You're going to be much more a part of your machine. And a reminder, don't forget the elevator trim.

NorrisMcWhirter
06-17-2005, 08:04 PM
I'd say that post 3.04 AI is easier to kill and evade - no longer do you have them hanging onto your 6 until you fly at 1cm off the ground.

Whether it's better or not is debatable. Many ace AI used to be a challenge and good practice for online but now they're a little wimpish.

The other oddity is that, with minor damage, they seem to spiral into the ground with little encouragement.

Ta,
Norris