PDA

View Full Version : One lucky bastard!

Worf101
04-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Due to my son's J.V. Baseball schedule and work I've not been flying like I used to or want to. I was in a coop on Tues. night with the redtails. As usual I was groundpoundin'. My '47's and the '38's had just torn a ton of Axis railstock a new one and we were beat feetin' home. When feet clean I released my chicks to go "huntin'" with the Spits and 51's. I being older and wiser decided to pancake.

Well when you've not been practicin' your landings things can "go awry". I broke off my jugs landing gear and was sitting athwart the tarmac. I got out a lucky strike and watched the rest of show. We had about 4 German Experten Piloten in the game including one with the callsign "U.S. Grant".

I'm sitting on the tarmac, having a smoke and beer when I hear the siren's start to wail. But that's all I hear, no triple A no machine guns no nothin'. I start to get this bad feeling, so I look up and sure as shootin' there'a FW nosing over to put an end to my miserable virtual life. I switched to a chase view of his plane so as to get a better view of my demise when wham!!!!

His plane begins to shudder and his engine stops. He immediately broke off his attack and began to drift to the ground. WTF? We had no AAA, no fighters were within miles and I couldn't move if I wanted to. Still there he was puttin' his unscratched 190 down like a feather. Once he's down this message scrolled across the screen.

"Whoever was in that downed 47 on the runway, you're one lucky bastard. I just ran outta gas!" US Grant.

I fell out laughin' I told him that I was the sittin' duck and reminded him of what my old man use to say.

"Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."

Da Worfster

Worf101
04-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Due to my son's J.V. Baseball schedule and work I've not been flying like I used to or want to. I was in a coop on Tues. night with the redtails. As usual I was groundpoundin'. My '47's and the '38's had just torn a ton of Axis railstock a new one and we were beat feetin' home. When feet clean I released my chicks to go "huntin'" with the Spits and 51's. I being older and wiser decided to pancake.

Well when you've not been practicin' your landings things can "go awry". I broke off my jugs landing gear and was sitting athwart the tarmac. I got out a lucky strike and watched the rest of show. We had about 4 German Experten Piloten in the game including one with the callsign "U.S. Grant".

I'm sitting on the tarmac, having a smoke and beer when I hear the siren's start to wail. But that's all I hear, no triple A no machine guns no nothin'. I start to get this bad feeling, so I look up and sure as shootin' there'a FW nosing over to put an end to my miserable virtual life. I switched to a chase view of his plane so as to get a better view of my demise when wham!!!!

His plane begins to shudder and his engine stops. He immediately broke off his attack and began to drift to the ground. WTF? We had no AAA, no fighters were within miles and I couldn't move if I wanted to. Still there he was puttin' his unscratched 190 down like a feather. Once he's down this message scrolled across the screen.

"Whoever was in that downed 47 on the runway, you're one lucky bastard. I just ran outta gas!" US Grant.

I fell out laughin' I told him that I was the sittin' duck and reminded him of what my old man use to say.

Da Worfster

stalkervision
04-30-2009, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:

Well when you've not been practicin' your landings things can "go awry". I broke off my jugs landing gear and was sitting athwart the tarmac. Well I got out a lucky strike and watched the rest of show. We had about 4 German Experten Piloten in the game including one with the callsign "U.S. Grant".

Well I'm sitting on the tarmac, having a smoke and beer when I hear the siren's start to wail. But that's all I hear, no triple A no machine guns no nothin'. I start to get this bad feeling, so I look up and sure as shootin' there'a FW nosing over to put an end to my miserable virtual life. I switched to a chase view of his plane so as to get a better view of my demise when wham!!!!

Da Worfster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

AllorNothing117
04-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice story, why didn't he shoot you while he was gliding though... I would've, lol.

K_Freddie
04-30-2009, 09:50 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Tell him that he should make sure he fills up his tank - half filling the FW's tank doesn't make that much difference to gameplay, except the classic example above.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

raaaid
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
the force works on misterious ways

if i had been in your case i would expect the remote posibility he crossed my still sight to shoot him down

i never lose hope to win

DKoor
04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllorNothing117:
Nice story, why didn't he shoot you while he was gliding though... I would've, lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wouldn't be in your skin once you crash land in the near vicinity of his angry mechanics/personnel thohttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

OMK_Hand
04-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Marvellous http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good to see you, Worfster.

JarheadEd
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Good story Worf. I'll have to point Grant this way to read up on his claim to infamy. That really doesn't seem like him to make a mistake like that. Grant usually flies red with us in USMCG, and can normally be found in a P-51. Going blue must have made him forget to check his tank. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

RPMcMurphy
04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Entertaining anecdote to say the least. You should be a writer Worf.
Btw I think that guy could have shot you anyway. I wonder why he did'nt.

BAD_GRANT
04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes, well, what to say.

First, let me say that I was playing in another server helping someone test the F-86 and he had unlimited fuel on. My first mistake. Then I hopped in with the 99th and had to fly blue because all the reds were taken up. I was in a 109 instead of a 190 but I can see where one might get those confused when it's bearing down on you.

I had thought about unloading when I glided in, but decided that it wouldn't be right to do so, so I just glided on past. I was actually trying to land next to you to ask for directions but had too much airspeed to touch down and not enough to turn around.

Anway, I know now to check my fuel before take off.

mortoma
04-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Hmmmm....If I were him and on top of you good enough, I would have strafed you anyway. He was probably not close enough to his friendly line to get home. Why not??

But in real life if I were a pilot in WWII I would not have though! Would be pretty stupid to end up a prisoner and the last thing you did was to strafe a pilot in his plane. You'd probably be shot as soon as you landed.

rnzoli
05-01-2009, 12:25 AM
This happens more often than you would think. I have seen 109s running out of fuel in the quick DF missions on the 102nd_COOP server, even with big experts in the pilot seat. Especially when they were on a now-worry-just-for-fun server, where they set 25% fuel for maximum turn performance, and forget or don't intend to change it. It is so funny when the fight changes suddently from me under attach to me trying to avoid ramming the poor glider while I shoot him down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good things to check before flight:
- fuel (plane dependent)
- convergence (gun dependent)
- bomb delay (target dependent)

Worf101
05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Sorry for the plane mix-up Grant. And thanks for comin' in to explain the "other" side of the story. It was/is a funny tale. Also kudos for not blasting me into little gibbets o' goo with that nasty nose canon. Come hang out some more, we'll save a Pony fer ya next time.

Da Worfster

Scolar
05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Please use more slang terms in your posts, it is really helpful to read it that way.