PDA

View Full Version : New PC. Sweet! Or maybe not...

Partic_One
11-20-2004, 02:56 AM
I thought this might be instructive. I have read many posts of woe along the same lines and always saddened by the unfortunate tendency to fire off accusations about badly written code.

Having had a little windfall recently and with my P4 2.66 + 9800Pro system beginning to show its age I decided to buy a new PC. I settled on an AMD 64 3800 to go with a 6800 ultra. Mobo is a gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939.

I had a chap put it all together for me (I'm getting lazy in my old age) and took it home with a fine sense of anticipation, not only to put the new PC through its paces but also to rip into Pacific Fighters which I had not had time to do at that stage.

Ok start her up. Bugger, blue screened. Second time it starts up and I discover that my chap has not installed chip set drivers. No wuccas, on they go, no more blue screening. Easy.

Installed 66.81 nVidia drivers. Aren't I good, checking the readme? Installed FB+AEP+PF... woohoo off we go!!

Or maybe not. Started up a quick mission flying a Corsair version and 3 seconds into it a sound loop and a crash to desktop. Bugger.

Restart and fire up yon Kamikaze track and it plays OK for a bit, and plays smoothly and looks great, I might add, then...

Ok, into the BIOS settings. Where's the AGP aperture size, AGP speed settings and stuff? Bludie heck, I'll have to check the manual! Grrrr. Ah, CTRL+F1 for advanced options, no wuccas!

Mmmmm, what's this overclock page? Is it telling me that it is overclocking the CPU by 200Mhz and the AGP card by 66??!! I don't like the sound if that, so I set BIOS to "Optimised settings". Does this turn off this overclocking stuff that the mobo wants to do by default? Buggered if I know but suddenly the game seems to play all right. Sweet!
Play a few missions. Jeez, this thing is fast! Let's try that Corsair quick mission again. Aaargh! Crash, splutter, blam. Tried playing it again and got error messages that seemed to suggest that the install was corrupt. Well, it was pretty ugly crash, i.e. a full reboot.

So format drive, re-install XP, try the 66.93 video drivers install only FB + AEP (Is it my Pacific Fighters disk at fault?). Start a quick mission.... SPLAT!

Mmmm. Ugly. Very, very ugly.

Acting on a slightly informed hunch I disable the onboard sound and in IL2 set-up select "no sound". Yippee!! Seems to run fine now. Played some career missions and some downloaded custom missions with no sound and no crashes.

Cool, no problems, Bob's me uncle, off I go and buy a Sound blaster Audigy LS (yes, I know but I only have **** speakers...). Install the bugger and off we go... finally.

Left it running on the "bad" corsair quick mission with sound for about an hour while I was busy doing other things. Came back and found the auto pilot still happily flying around... victory!

It's the next day at work, I haven't played since. Check the forums and "Zounds!!" The Patch is out!

Install away, tried the new exe... SPLAT... a very ugly reboot type SPLAT. Oh well, I'd heard it was a but iffy, even if I don't have no cd patch and stuff. So start PF the normal way.

An hour later, flying a Japanese (no abbreviations... he, he) career blasting P400's... happy, happy. Crash.

And another... and another. Oh, lord of go-fast computer hardware, why hast thou forsaken me?

Is it the patch... most people on the forums seem happy... there is that Leadspitter bloke but surely that was a power surge? Mmmmm.

Never give up. Somewhere in the back of what I facetiously call my memory (apologies to Patrick O'Brien) I hear a voice... very faintly at first... dual channel memory... 939 motherboards... DDR400 memory. It thankfully gets loud enough for me to take notice so I swap the two 512Mb sticks around so that I am only using one channel and then, tentatively I switch on my PC. I start up PF. I start my campaign and I fly. And fly. And freaking fly, and freaking, effing bludie well fly and fly and MY GOD THIS GAME IS FANTASTIC! The new splashes, the new water, the new planes!! This unbelievably fast PC!

My point? This is an exceptionally well-written game. It's not perfect but then only my 3800 CPU is. (Yes, I am in love.) If you are having problems there are about a million different things you can try, including the replacement of every bit of hardware in the PC and re-installing Windows and trying different drivers for all that hardware. Also bear in mind that every piece of software that you install may change the run-time layer of your OS (by which I mean the files used when a program runs). We are talking about millions of combinations of dlls and ocx€s and the like. The only approach the will work, time after time, is...

NEVER GIVE UP!

(PS, sorry for the length... long time listener, first time caller http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

SgtBriggs
11-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Partic, this is one or the more entertaining post i have read in awhile. you definetly have a way with words. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif i really liked all the splats. anyways, glad you got that bugger running. sounds like a sweet setup.

one day when i get rich and famous, ill have a fast machine too.

stansdds
11-20-2004, 05:51 AM
It sometimes takes quite a bit of effort to get a new computer to run smoothly, the point is to not give up. I think it is equally important to not rid yourself of your old computer until you know your new one works correctly!

Tully__
11-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Very few shops know how to build a computer with optimal settings that will allow the extemely heavy CPU, graphics, sound and memory loads placed on computers by games without issues. Getting to know how to do just a few basic maintenance/tweaking items as described above is almost essential if you wish to run games that demand high performance smoothly.

VW-IceFire
11-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Hehe...sounds like the guy building it for you did a fine job in putting the system together but not in configuring it.

This system I'm running now was my first built from the ground up computer. I'm sure it won't be my last since I enjoyed the process considerably...but it took some time to learn the ins and outs. I did alot of reading and I configured everything from the BIOS to the OS according to the best practices that I could find out about it. The result is the most stable (touch wood), fastest, smoothest system I have ever had the pleasure to use.

Your right...stick with it. Never give up.

Liquid-Koshed
11-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Great to hear you€ve got your new high spec rig running smoothly, I think the tendency is for people to expect the latest high spec components to just plug & play but as we search for that extra performance well also need to experiment with configuring them more & more the combination of components and software is vast these days, you can spend hours with drivers & such but it€s a great feeling when you get your new rig running smoothly.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keyriced/1Pacific%20fighters%20junkie.JPG