PDA

View Full Version : Remembering

-HH- Beebop
09-10-2007, 10:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/HH_Beebop/Personal/TEARS-9-11-01.jpg

Esel1964
09-10-2007, 10:43 PM
I'll second that wholeheartedly.
God Bless the victims and their families.

A salute to our troops.
http://www.sparkpage.com/troops.htm

leitmotiv
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Grieving has its place, but there is a fine line where it crosses over into self-pity ("why us? sob!"). We should be centered on the jobs at hand, and the superb people doing them. What I remember from 11 Sept is the bravery displayed by so many it is overwhelming: the police and firemen charging into the buildings to save lives, and so many of them dying, Rumsfeld going right to where the airplane hit the Pentagon to help rescue people in the smoke and flames, the people on Flight 93 who made the first counterattack against the terrorists of the war---and paid, Barbara Olson cooly giving full details of the hijackers to her White House counsel husband as the jet heads for the Pentagon---still cool even with the knowledge he had given her of the two other planes smashing into the World Trade Center, and many others. I can't imagine a finer repudiation of the idea of the Islamists that Americans are materialists, are incapable of self-sacrifice, and are hopelessly selfish. The Islamists are experts in mass death, as they prove over and over everywhere they operate. Sept 11 showed that the Yanks know how to overcome death in favor of life.

knightflyte
09-10-2007, 11:39 PM
S!

249th_Maico
09-10-2007, 11:56 PM
This is my Home. My mom watched in horror from our window on the thirtieth floor in Manhattan's midtown. I have been overseas since this happened. I work in support of the U.S. Armed forces Central Command. When this war is over I will come home.

God Bless America.

Bearcat99
09-11-2007, 07:02 AM
I live 15 miles from the Pentagon and I am from NYC... worked in the Wall St. are for 8 years and had contact with my coworkers there until the time I left in 2000. My heart also goes out to the families that didnt get the big support, the ones that are still suffering physical side effects of the toxins they were exposed to, and the ones that are still grieving.

Blutarski2004
09-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Grieving has its place, but there is a fine line where it crosses over into self-pity ("why us? sob!"). We should be centered on the jobs at hand, and the superb people doing them. What I remember from 11 Sept is the bravery displayed by so many it is overwhelming: the police and firemen charging into the buildings to save lives, and so many of them dying, Rumsfeld going right to where the airplane hit the Pentagon to help rescue people in the smoke and flames, the people on Flight 93 who made the first counterattack against the terrorists of the war---and paid, Barbara Olson cooly giving full details of the hijackers to her White House counsel husband as the jet heads for the Pentagon---still cool even with the knowledge he had given her of the two other planes smashing into the World Trade Center, and many others. I can't imagine a finer repudiation of the idea of the Islamists that Americans are materialists, are incapable of self-sacrifice, and are hopelessly selfish. The Islamists are experts in mass death, as they prove over and over everywhere they operate. Sept 11 showed that the Yanks know how to overcome death in favor of life.

..... Well put. It's also worth recalling that the WTC attack is also the single deadliest terrorist attack ever perpetrated upon citizens of Great Britain - over three hundred dead.

Interestingly enough, today is Patriot's Day here in the US. How apropos.

Divine-Wind
09-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Aye. Never forget...

I remember we were in 'Frisco with my grandparents on the way to meet up with my dad in the Middle East when the first plane hit.

slipBall
09-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Very sad day, but the date will never be forgotten

T_O_A_D
09-11-2007, 09:37 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

LEBillfish
09-11-2007, 11:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/Kaytoo/Remember.gif

Jediteo
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
S!

Bremspropeller
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I remember that day as if it was yesterday.
What started as a beautiful sunny and cheerful day (my mom had her 40th birthday that day and we actually were to have a party at home), turned sad and sorrow, when a friend called and told us to switch on TV.

Well, needless to say, the party was over before it really began.
That day really changed my life.

Salute to those who have lost their lives in that tragic and inhuman manner.
Salute to those brave people who grew over themselves to rescue as much people as possible on that fateful day, ignoring the inherent danger of being killed themselves.

What was meant to shake and terrorize America and it's allies only turned out to result into the opposite. The western world has since declared War on Terror to track those down who
hate us and our lifestyle so much that they want to kill us at any price.

There's only one thing left to say to those who hate our values and beliefs:

You declared war on us and you continue to show us what human rights mean to you - nothing.
You're not fighting for what you claim to.
You want to rule the world in terror and fear.
But we won't agree on that.
We will find you, fight you and defeat you.
That may not be today, or tomorrow, but in the end we will succeed.

Swivet
09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I worked 3 blocks from WTC and took the train into jersey from the basement of those buildings everyday, i knew the main mezzanine level very well with it's shops and restaraunts and one of my favorite watering holes was in the beasement called the "Tubes Bar" rightly named after all the subways that connected there. I miss the towers dearly. God bless the firemen and police and emergency crews who all fought to help everyone out alive and for those that were lost we'll always hold you in our hearts.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/Swivet/UsaEagle.gif

Never Forget!!

BrotherVoodoo
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
NEVER FORGET....=SALUTE=

jarink
09-11-2007, 02:28 PM
As I write this, I'm about 3 ft (that's 1 metre to all you folks across the pond) from where I was when a co-worker told me about the first plane hitting the tower. It does seem almost like yesterday, even though so much has changed since then. My thoughts and prayers are still with those who lost loved ones on that fateful day and in the days since.

knightflyte
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Salute to those who fell..... to those that survived.... and to those that continue to strive and make the world better in their own way.

That's the legacy of 9/11. That's the legacy that demonstrates terrorism doesn't work. Celebrating cowardly acts only increases our resolve.

Monterey13
09-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I salute all of my fellow Firefighters and EMS workers that were lost. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I also salute all of the Police Officers lost that day. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I salute all who gave their best do get the job done, and are still dealing with it today. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I feel much pain for all of the others, as well as their families. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Hopefully, nothing like September 11th will ever happen again.

Copperhead311th
09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Yeah...it's one of those moments you just don't forget. like when our parents rememeber where they were when JFK died, or the moon landings.

I was standing in the Deli of the new Super K-Mart on S Blvd in Montgomery. I was glancing over bluprints and lining up work for some of the Electricains under me and thinking...gee a coke would be really good about now. (i was Electrical Foreman on that job. we were wireing the Kitchen area for the new addtion to the store.)

Then i got a call over the Walkie from my boss Jamie. "Hey Copper' come into the k-mart break room."
10/4.
So i walk in and every one (k-mart employess & construction workers) was gatherd around the little tv in there. and as soon as i see the screen the 1st thing i see is a plane cashing into the 1st tower. I knew instantly what had hapend. i was Hurt & angery all at the same time. It would not have been good for if i had been in Bush's shoes that day. I wanted to shoot 1st and ask questions latter. And i wasn't the only one. Luckily some mid eastern countries i was not in his shoes. be cause everything east of Isreal would have been gone in an instant. with the pain and anger in me that day....... yeah i could have pushed the button.

but i remember where i was. the pain & anger, and the horor as i watched on live tv.....sopme ones Brother, husband, son, fother, freind....leap from a building to his death.

And while i've never told enyone this...for moths....and i mean months after.....i would wake up in the middle of the night with a sound in my head. and it wouldn't go away. it was the sound of all those beacons that the firemne were wearing.

VW-IceFire
09-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I was at home having just started undergrad and was prepping to get ready for class. I got a MSN message from a guy I knew in Germany and he said something about a plane and the WTC. I figured it was some sort of language barrier thing and I tried to get on CNN, BBC, CBC, ABC, and any other news site I could find and nobody was responding...thats when I knew something was wrong. Ran down to the TV and I was watching when the second plane hit. Soon as I saw CNN's split panel with the Pentagon and New York showing the big plumes of smoke...thats when I knew things had changed and for the worse.

Like the rest of you...never forget that day ever.

The worst part is for the families affected by the whole thing. Thoughts are with them.

Capt.LoneRanger
09-12-2007, 02:32 AM
A dark day for humanity and it will never be forgotten.

S! to the innocent victims. My prayers are with them, their families and friends.

Waldo.Pepper
09-12-2007, 02:34 AM
I usually don't make a point of posting in threads that mark the death of someone in our community we know, or knew for intensely personal reasons that are inappropriate for here I think.

I have two vivid memories, being woken up at just after 6AM by a phone call from a friend telling me to turn on the TV. The other thing that I remember very vividly was a few days after the day. I was in the backyard trimming trees and such. I made a comment to my Mother in law to listen. There was complete, unusual, silence. She gave me a funny look not understanding what I was getting at. I had to explain to her that we would normally be hearing airplanes. But there were none.

I hope no one begrudges me making two other personal points.

When I was in University, Air India happened. I knew someone on that plane whose absence has left a great hole in my life. September 11th is also my wifes birthday. I have a lot to think about this time of the year. But also a great deal to be thankful for.

woofiedog
09-12-2007, 04:32 AM
My daughter had called me that morning and asked if I was watching the news on the TV. While still talking with her as I switched it on. I couldn't believe my eye's at what was happening. This was just before the second aircraft hit the towers that morning.
I stayed there afterwards watching the TV in almost a trance. It wasn't till after I had finally looked at the clock and saw it was already past noon that I realized the time I had sat there in front of the TV not moving.

Yes it was a Very Sad day for the World indeed.

ploughman
09-12-2007, 05:18 AM
Awful day, made me angry as a snake for months afterwards. I missed the whole thing as I was moving house, when I was signing a document the other person asked if I'd heard about the attacks? They didn't know what had happened but had heard that thousands had been killed. It sounded serious so I popped over the road and into a pub to see if they knew what was going on, they had the news on their TV and there was a shot of the dust cloud that covered lower Manhattan after the towers had come down, I honestly thought an atom bomb had gone off and I was nearly sick.

leitmotiv
09-12-2007, 05:31 AM
I was in California. I was wakened and came out in time to see the second jet crash the towers. My first thought was that the b-----ds figured out a way to make an impression on the American mind---it was pure Hollywood---colossal fireball---like something out of a DIE HARD film.

raaaid
09-12-2007, 05:48 AM
haha i was drunk as hell on a sunny noon with an awesome girl and some friends seeing the plane collide live

fabianfred
09-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by raaaid:
haha i was drunk as hell on a sunny noon with an awesome girl and some friends seeing the plane collide live

A terrible day indeed...... but I have news for you....there were no planes...

joeap
09-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by fabianfred:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:

A terrible day indeed...... but I have news for you....there were no planes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So the passenger lists were made up and American Airlines and United Airlines had the same size fleet on September 12 as they had September 10? You know what will happen now don't you Fred?

leitmotiv
09-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Ignore the anti-semetic loon squad, joeap; they are fools with an agenda. Don't even dignify them with attention.

Worf101
09-12-2007, 08:12 AM
I was working in Albany, my son and his mum were still living in New York City. Ian was attending the Parkside School, Ireta (his mom) was working in the Public School system. I work for the State of New York with the electric and Gas systems for the entire state. I was in my cube typing something inocuous when Norm in the next cube chuckles out:

"Jeeze some idiot just ran into the WTC!! How lost can you get?!!!"

I laughed as well until about 15 minutes later when he said.

"Wow, another one just hit, I guess it ain't no accident."

I grew cold inside. All non-essential personnel were ordered out (since we were in a govt. complex and didn't know the extent of the onslaught against us) but I was required to stay to monitor damage and changes to the Statewaide Electric Grid.

I called down to the Bronx every half hour till I found out that Ian and Ireta had both "walked out" of lower Manhattan until they found working subways and buses. Ireta was govered in "death dust".

Less than a year later they were living here with me.

I salute all those firemen, ems and police who saw the face of death, but went in anyway. I salute those brave souls in those planes and buildings who tried to help others cause I know there were many who perished unsung who tried to help their fellow man.

Da Worfster

jensenpark
09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I was in St John's Newfoundland running a hotel.

We had 38 jets diverted to St John's. People were sent everywhere - churches, army barracks, private homes. We housed and fed 1000 people a day for 3 days...people sleeping in the ballroom, under chairs, under lounge tables, everywhere.

Like always you get the best and worst out of people:

We had old people sleeping on the floor refusing to take a room because "others were in more need" and young couples/Yuppy types screaming and demanding to get better treatment because of this reason or that.

We had several United crews stranded with us. I asked one how they were dealing with the loss of fellow crew. She shrugged and said that there were thousands of staff and she probably didn't know them.

Other poignant memory: after they planes landed - everyone had to sit on the planes for hours while they were all checked out, luggage went through etc. They were then 'processed for ID by various gov't departments. They didn't get to the hotel till around 10pm our time - 1/2 a day almost after landing.
We had a TV set up in the lobby and were showing CNN. Even at this point some had no idea what had happened - and were standing shocked at what was on tv.

Some also b*tched and moaned about the long line and couldn't care less that there were thousands dead.

RK_Achilles
09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
I was still in hight school, sitting in history class. We spent the whole class period, and part of the next, watching the news. It was a strange experience.
Here's to all the people that were lost on that terrible day.

Never forget.

HotelBushranger
09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by joeap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fabianfred:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raaaid:

A terrible day indeed...... but I have news for you....there were no planes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So the passenger lists were made up and American Airlines and United Airlines had the same size fleet on September 12 as they had September 10? You know what will happen now don't you Fred? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he meant to say there we no plane collisions...chill out mate.

B16Enk
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I too will never forget.

The initial report I remember hearing from my wife at home was that an aircraft had hit the WTC, I assumed it was a light aircraft.

The next call (I was at work) brought the true horror of the event to me, and I struggled to find a news site that could shed more light on it for me.

When news of the second, and then the third strike came in I was in shock.

A heartfelt Salute to all who lost on that terrible day, may our resolve never weaken.

DuxCorvan
09-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I was suddenly called to watch the TV by my family. I was watching in awe and astonishment, listening to the reporter talking about some 'accident' with a 'small aircraft' when the second plane crashed. I tell you that, in that fraction of a second, I could clearly see the two engines under the wings. They said: "This is incredible, another small plane has crashed!"

My legs started trembling and I sat. I told my relatives: "That was no small aircraft, and this ain't no accident. This is some incredible terrorist attack, and the consequences of this in the future, I can't tell".

I can't describe the feelings of vertigo and dismay I had when I saw the towers collapse.

I knew then that the years of 'Pax Romana' are coming to an end.

general_kalle
09-12-2007, 09:35 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
S~ to all victims.
RIP

knightflyte
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I got a call from an exgirl friend at around 9:15ish am. I was just getting up and pouring a coffee. I was stunned an ex had called me, until I heard the immediacy in her voice. I turned on the tube.

At that time reports were still widely innacurate because of the speed at which information had been coming forth. I saw the smoke and destruction and I knew. There was no doubt in my mind this was a terror attack. A small plane wouldn't have done that amount of damage. A large plane wouldn't be over the city like that.

I remember Peter Jenning pallidly saying ."This is huge." when the first tower fell.

I remember watching for three days straight....... hoping for miracles. Thankful for what we had as opposed to what COULD have happened.

With the amount of people possibly inside the towers I honestly thought we'd be seeing Nagasaki sized numbers.

Saddened by what was lost..... greatful for what we didn't.

S!

willyvic
09-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I was working as a US Customs Officer assigned to the Oakland Waterfront as the Team Leader of the Contraband Enforcement Team. That morning is vivid in my memory.

The first reports came in as I drank my first cup of coffee at the office. There were only a couple of us there at that time of the morning. We switched on the tube in our makeshift break room and I was mesmerized by the site of the smoking tower on the television. My initial reaction was one of sympathy for those involved in the apparent accident.

As we watched, the second aircraft barreled into the second tower and we stood in absolute stunned silence. It slowly dawned on us that this was far more than the mistaken flight path of a lost airliner. My emotions were in high gear. I felt sorrow. I felt confused. And I was starting to get mad.

I immediately assigned the personnel present to set up a security parimeter around our complex. The gates were locked and guards posted at each entrance. Radio and phone coordination between San Francisco and Oakland International Airports was established. State and local law enforcement was contacted and advised of our posture. And we waited.

An hour or so later all Officers assigned to the waterfront had arrived to work. In another couple of hours the word came down from DC that they needed volunteers to shore up our nations border check points.

Less than 18 hours later myself and twelve of my fellow Officers were on one of our P-3 aircraft being escorted by F-16s on a direct flight from Oakland to Minot, North Dakota. We were dispersed along the northern border to stop and search 100% of all traffic attempting to cross into the United States. We worked a twelve on twelve off for the duration. I ultimatley did three 60 day tours up north during the next year and a half.

The events of September 11, 2001 changed our focus as an agency. It changed the way our nation does it's day to day business. It changed the way the world goes about its daily business. It changed me.

Yes, I remember.

WV

LEXX_Luthor
09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Waldo.Pepper::
....The other thing that I remember very vividly was a few days after the day. I was in the backyard trimming trees and such. I made a comment to my Mother in law to listen. There was complete, unusual, silence. She gave me a funny look not understanding what I was getting at. I had to explain to her that we would normally be hearing airplanes. But there were none.
And no jetliner contrails in the sky for a week, even when lots of autumn September-esque cirrus clouds were present which favours contrail formation. I thought about how contrails are a very recent part of humanoid history, more recent than aircraft, since I think they were first noticed in the early 1920s as aircraft got above maybe 20,000 feets ... hmmm, Oleg set contrails to form at 7k meters in FB.