PDA

View Full Version : 1up review 7/10

nakv
11-13-2007, 02:49 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164320

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Edit:

I'd like to point out that he's an EGM editor.

robert_brownny
11-13-2007, 02:52 AM
well it's PS3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
joking....

Seraph_394
11-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Wow. reading that it felt like he wanted it to fail. What a load of garbage.

MiniAssasin
11-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Seraph_394:
Wow. reading that it felt like he wanted it to fail. What a load of garbage.

where did ya get that from he loved the game

its not going to be as godlike as people on here are making out. it is like anyother game. its gonan have strengths and weaknesses

Seraph_394
11-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Where did i get that from? no one else has has rated it as low as he has, and i'll bet my left arm no one else will. he said so himself he minimized the amount of time he played the game, and he's cynical about assassin's creed probably having a sequel.

That's where i got that from.

MiniAssasin
11-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Seraph_394:
Where did i get that from? no one else has has rated it as low as he has, and i'll bet my left arm no one else will. he said so himself he minimized the amount of time he played the game, and he's cynical about assassin's creed probably having a sequel.

then you cry about anything bad said about the game

i have heard in all reviews so far poeple have siad

its repetative

combat is simple and not at all well done

ai is left to be desired..one said the social stealth button may as well be called the invisible ot anything button. then proceeds to show a video of killing a guard and standing next to the body in social stealth mode while the other guy is walking around the body shouting who did this to you

i have seen clipping, of altair going thru walls during counter kills

--
its all a matter of opinion but these reviewers despite saying these things say its an awesoem breathtaking game that tried to push bounderies but come off short on most

bokeef04
11-13-2007, 03:31 AM
oh no, a game that is repetive, i've never encountered another like it, all games have repetive parts, especially the FPS's

as for combat, would everyone be happy if all the guards attacked at once instantly killing you, making it actually impossible to finish the game

Seraph_394
11-13-2007, 03:33 AM
but none of that has foisted a 7/10 on the game...before now. do you understand me or not? of course all games have problems of there own, but with games like this, its strengths outshine its weaknesses, which is why it will get a 9/10 from most reviewers, and which is also why it doesnt deserve a 7/10.

MiniAssasin
11-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by bokeef04:
oh no, a game that is repetive, i've never encountered another like it, all games have repetive parts, especially the FPS's

as for combat, would everyone be happy if all the guards attacked at once instantly killing you, making it actually impossible to finish the game

i never sid anything here is a bad thing, personally im creaming myself over the game

but reviewers have to be professional and critique the game finding its good points and bad points.

they arent like us fanboys that just see pure awesomeness and nothing can ever be wrong with it

Seraph_394
11-13-2007, 03:40 AM
i repeat, cause you obviously missed it when i posted it. but none of that has foisted a 7/10 on the game...before now. do you understand me or not? of course all games have problems of there own, but with games like this, its strengths outshine its weaknesses, which is why it will get a 9/10 from most reviewers, and which is also why it doesnt deserve a 7/10.

and to your latest post:
it doesn't mean what he said is right, or that he IS being professional about it. I write reviews myself, and even i can tell this game doesn't deserve a 7.

bokeef04
11-13-2007, 03:43 AM
i know MiniAssassin, it just annoys me that people complain about how unrealistic the fighting is, i think it is as realistic as they can make it, without making it impossibly hard, everything i have learned with a sword actually involves basically countering the other person

MiniAssasin
11-13-2007, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by bokeef04:
i know MiniAssassin, it just annoys me that people complain about how unrealistic the fighting is, i think it is as realistic as they can make it, without making it impossibly hard, everything i have learned with a sword actually involves basically countering the other person

yeah im not too worked up about things like this because i tend to make my own mind up about things.

personally the combat is awesome, i love the styule of it, i think everything about the game is a work of art and you can see the effort put into it.

but there are always people that are more negative than others, some end up being reviewers.

one of my bst games this year is tenchuz and it was given 4.0 ratings all over the place. and all the fans love it despite its lack of a storyline.

Royal.Mist
11-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by MiniAssasin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seraph_394:

its repetative

ai is left to be desired..one said the social stealth button may as well be called the invisible ot anything button. then proceeds to show a video of killing a guard and standing next to the body in social stealth mode while the other guy is walking around the body shouting who did this to you

--
its all a matter of opinion but these reviewers despite saying these things say its an awesoem breathtaking game that tried to push bounderies but come off short on most </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And all the fanboys said that this wasn't true. Why do they think they got the randoms on the forums to go playtest? Because fanboys wouldn't say a bad thing about the game.

lunaticpanda101
11-13-2007, 04:18 AM
1Up is a bit stupid though, they only gave Crysis an 8.0 and that game looks amazing, whereas they gave NBA 2K8 an 8.5, so according to them NBA 2K8 is better than Crysis and Assassin's Creed. I dunno about you, but I find that very hard to believe.

DeadCorpseAC
11-13-2007, 05:03 AM
1Up sucks. It's the worst vg site that exists. EGM = the worst magazine.

Exassassin
11-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Royal.Mist:

And all the fanboys said that this wasn't true. Why do they think they got the randoms on the forums to go playtest? Because fanboys wouldn't say a bad thing about the game.

This game has his flaws, but it's not as bad as you make us believe. Sure the combat might be simple, but countering is actually pretty realistic (Pirates of the Caribbean, perhaps?). You are neglecting the fact that Ubisoft did the 1vs1 combat on purpose because you can't counter 3 people at a time. I do agree that the ''Blend'' action is way too strong in this game, and in that part the AI is flawed, but not in the combat AI and definitely not in the chase AI. You've seen clipping in counter animations and nothing more. You are basing your opinion on this 1UP review and you are making your own story twist out of it. Just like MiniAssassin. You guys are talking about repetitive gameplay and yet I know you guys will fail in answering this question: What game isn't repetitive? - Sports games are repetitive because you do the same thing over and over again on the same field. Shooters are repetitive because you keep shooting with the same guns on a few different levels. Every game is repetitive wether you like it or not. Deal with the fact that Ubisoft made a great game which is revolutionary in a lot of ways. Games that are revolutionary always has a few flaws, but the flaws in this game are so minor that it still deserves a 9.0-9.5 and not this 7 from 1up.

MASTEROVERLORD
11-13-2007, 06:45 AM
This is the same crappy site that gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9/10.

With that in mind....who cares what those idiots think? They aren't really credible anymore after giving PD0 that type of score.

saros.exe
11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Who cares about reviews anyway? If you like the idea of the game and you like the vids you like the screens you will get it anyway, right?

EDIT: Btw, that ****** posted a review with spoilers...

AirRon_2K7
11-13-2007, 07:34 AM

its repetative

--
its all a matter of opinion but these reviewers despite saying these things say its an awesoem breathtaking game that tried to push bounderies but come off short on most

Eh? I've read every review around and I can tell you straight away that you've pulled out the negatives from each review. Yahoo doesn't think the combat is repetitive, Yahoo doesn't like the story either.

It seems that you're the opposite of everyone else here, you are just as pissed off when someone reviews the game excellently, than when one of us sees someone review it poorly.

I'm not flaming you I swear, but unless you have played the game then please hold your aggressive tongue, if you HAVE played the game... ermm, then ignore my whole rant > . >

__________________________---

Why do all my posts get cut off >.> nevermind...

After reading the review, gotta say that he didn't really focus on much of the game.. at all. I mean, focusing on the negatives is a perfectly fine strategy, but the fact that he elft out... everything else, is a bit unfair. Especially if there are people that trust 1up as their only source for gaming news ...

nakv
11-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by saros.exe:
Who cares about reviews anyway? If you like the idea of the game and you like the vids you like the screens you will get it anyway, right?

EDIT: Btw, that ****** posted a review with spoilers...

I read it and didn't find anything big spoiled. Still, you're going to have to expect spoilers from reviews especially when they're revealed at the start of the game.

You're anonymous online, but you don't have to be a ****.

dragfindel
11-13-2007, 07:57 AM
review = http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/pie_guy_8/1151538394133.gif
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Coin_Operated_Boy11/lolCats/no-spoilerz-pleez.jpg

i never read their reviews.
and this review is full of spoilerz.
also
and rephrase that cat thing to: no spoilerz plz i wanna play myself.

Dvlos56
11-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by lunaticpanda101:
1Up is a bit stupid though, they only gave Crysis an 8.0 and that game looks amazing

"Game looks amazing" does not MEAN IT HAS TO BE AMAZING. Graphics are not the game, only a part of it, you have sound, cinematics, story, and the most important.. gameplay.

Crysis can look realistic as well, real life, but controls like ****, is a boring shooter, and it deserves praise for its graphics, but deserves to lose points for what it does wrong.

1Up actually justified its score with what it finds wrong with the game. I've seen reviews for games that the reviewer doesn't even mention, or barely mentions key features in the game. If you compare the 1Up review to the GameTrailer review they are surprisingly similar. It's just 1UP didn't get enough free goodies from Ubisoft or something so they got a 7 from 1up, and GT gave them a 9.1 despite harping on the SAME flaws.

gamepro11
11-13-2007, 08:24 AM
they reviwed it 7/10......your kidding right??!?!?!?!

endo23
11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Everyone's getting a little emotional here, but honestly, if you read a lot of reviews online-- and I do-- you come to expect a certain score when a game tries and succeeds in as many categories as Assassin's, or COD4, or Gears of War, or whatever. All of these games have weaknesses, of course, but their level of polish, ambition and the passion that went into creating them outshines the average release (you know, like Timeshift or Tenchu or yet another franchise sports game). So when a reviewer hands out a 7, I expect mediocrity-- like a Spiderman sequel-- and not something like Assassin's that pushes boundaries and occasionally comes up short. It just seems a little harsh.

Another strange thing-- the main knock on Assassin's seems to be the repetitive nature of the missions. In a way, this is like criticizing the developer for delivering too much of a good thing. (In fact, I recall some reviewers knocking Bioshock for being "repetitive" due to its limited number of enemy types, I never got sick of the game.) So if COD4 had a 15 hour campaign instead of a 5 hour one, would we be sick of shooting "infidels"?

In the end, I think people who are excited about Assassin's Creed are going to have a great time playing it. It seems like this reviewer rushed through the campaign-- and most importantly, that he wasn't very good at it. Look at the way he describes running away after assassinations-- as a mad scramble where guards were constantly killing him. Do you think if he actually got to know the cities and planned an escape route this would happen? I highly doubt it, since few other reviewers have mentioned this "flaw". I'm all for varied opinions, but this review feels lazy and perfunctory to me. I don't need the game to score 10s, but at least give it a fair shake.

Raide
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Reviewing can be tough on the writers. They often do not get a huge amount of time to get everything done and they tend to look at games much more critically than normal gamers do. It is their job after all, and many reviews prove this.

Nobody can review a game for you, but having someone's opinion can help to shape your opinion too. Some people just will not get on with the combat, or the free-running elements, but those that dedicate the time to play the game for fun, not for reviews, will get to see what is truly going on inside Assassin's Creed.

Raide
UK Forum Manager