PDA

View Full Version : Does PF allow a jump-ahead?

mnordby
03-12-2006, 12:07 PM
One of the few irritating features of F. Battles is the fact that I have to sit through my squadron's circling and then the long flight to the combat area. With only a 8X time dilation, I'm bored by the time combat starts. Is PF any different in this respect?

Jumoschwanz
03-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Try checking out the Readme files for the sim. That is where you will find all kinds of interesting info, including exactly what you are looking for.

Jumoschwanz

mnordby
03-12-2006, 08:09 PM
I haven't bought PF yet; I'm trying to get info about it before buying, to see whether it's something I want.

I will check the readme for Forgotten Battles on this issue, though, thanks.

steve_v
03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
From the Readme:

Time Skip: This feature allows players to quickly transfer between mission waypoints in cases when flying normally would take too long. When using this feature the 3D render is completely turned off, and only the in-game clock is shown in the bottom left corner of your screen. During time skip the game does fully model all normal AI aspects, such as fuel consumption, pathfinding, etc. In other words, all game processes run as usual, only in accelerated time.
Please note that this feature heavily relies on your machine's processing power, and its general speed will depend on your hardware specs and the number of AI aircraft and other objects in the mission.
No key is assigned to this feature by default. You will need to bind one in the Controls section of the game.

CombatAce_MK2
03-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Mnordby,

What Jumo and Steve mention is also part of IL2 FB and not just PF.
It was released a few patches ago. It is called time skip (as mentioned above) , set it up in controls and have fun.

joeap
03-13-2006, 04:18 AM
NO NO NO, if you have FB/AEP (not merged with PF) you WON'T have time skip. It's only implemented in PF stand alone or FB/AEP/PF merged.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by steve_v:
From the Readme:

Time Skip: This feature allows players to quickly transfer between mission waypoints in cases when flying normally would take too long. This Time Skip feature only goes about as fast as 8x in the game. I wish it would just jump to the next waypoint quickly, but it doesn't. If at 1x Normal speed it would take you 20min to fly to the next waypoint, this 'Time Skip' feature will still take you about 3-4mins of sitting, staring at a blank screen.

Chuck_Older
03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
If timeskip is working slowly, you might need more RAM or video memory. It's faster than 8x on my PC...but it used to be slower

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I have a P4 3.06ghz; 1gig ram; ATI Radeon 9500 Pro/9700 w/128meg. It works pretty good for me. Do you think this rig would run Time Skip slower? How fast would you say Time Skip is for you Chuck? 16x? 32x?

I wish this Time Skip feature would just jump to the next waypoint without counting time. The game knows where the next waypoint is. It knows your speed. It should be able to just move the plane to the next waypoint and set the current time accordingly. Other games do this. I put this in the ReadyRoom Wishlist a few weeks ago.

mortoma
03-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Wild.Bill.Kelso:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
From the Readme:

Time Skip: This feature allows players to quickly transfer between mission waypoints in cases when flying normally would take too long. This Time Skip feature only goes about as fast as 8x in the game. I wish it would just jump to the next waypoint quickly, but it doesn't. If at 1x Normal speed it would take you 20min to fly to the next waypoint, this 'Time Skip' feature will still take you about 3-4mins of sitting, staring at a blank screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have horrific system specs and I timed the "time skip" mode and found it to be about 11X speed!! That is a bit faster than 8X I'm afraid. I built ths PC way back in 2001 and it's only got an old AMD XP-2100 Palamino processor in it. So if time skip goes that fast for me, it should go way faster for those of you with newer, more modern rigs!!! I do have 1 Gig of XMS-2700 ram though. Do you have enough Ram??

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-13-2006, 02:41 PM
As I stated, I have 1 gig of ram. The game runs pretty good on full graphics. I didn't time it with a clock, but it seemed to go about the same as 8x for me. 11x would be about 1second of Time Skip time is = 11seconds of game time. 6 secs = about a minute. I'm not getting that I don't think.

FritzGryphon
03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Try 3rd party speedhack utilities.

Originally designed to cheat in online games, they work exactly like time compression in offline games.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Ok, I just did a test. I was 2:30 into the mission when I hit Time Warp. On my watch, 1 minute went by when I came out of Time Warp. Time Warp had counted up to 10:40. So, it took 1 minute of clock time to warp from 2:30 to 10:40. That's 8mins 10secs. That's about 8 to 1 for me.

Fritz, can you explain how they work? Do they just change the computers clock or something? How do they speed up time warp?

FritzGryphon
03-13-2006, 09:27 PM
I guess that's how it works.

I just remember using a Counterstrike speed hack in offline Forgotten Battles. I could accelerate time up to 30x before it got unstable.

I'd post a link, but I don't remember what program it was. There's a lot of different ones out there.

tagTaken2
03-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
I guess that's how it works.

I just remember using a Counterstrike speed hack in offline Forgotten Battles. I could accelerate time up to 30x before it got unstable.

Not sure what a speed hack is... or if this is a windup... but would like to know more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

My timeskip runs up to 20 or so times faster... but it really depends on how many planes and ships are moving around.

"I wish this Time Skip feature would just jump to the next waypoint without counting time. The game knows where the next waypoint is. It knows your speed. It should be able to just move the plane to the next waypoint and set the current time accordingly. Other games do this. I put this in the ReadyRoom Wishlist a few weeks ago"

I think the reasoning is that all the AI planes/ships have tasks to carry out as well. While you're moving to your next waypoint, they might be sinking your carrier. The actions aren't scripted, so the enemy doesn't just *appear* once you get to a predetermined point. Makes for a much better game (although they will do things like crash on takeoff- meaning you just fly around for the next 30 minutes)

FritzGryphon
03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Never mind the speedhack bit.

I just tried using Speed Gear software for PF, and it doesn't seem to work. The game won't load while the speed hack is running, and it will crash if loaded during play.

I am impressed by MG's anti-hack measures. The downside is you can't get any more than the regular time compression.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Wild.Bill.Kelso, you are talking about the time-accelleration method, which is locked at a max of 8x. TimeSkip is a different function.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-14-2006, 06:50 AM
I know about the Time Accelleration 1x(Normal), 2x, 4x, 8x. I am talking about the Time Skip. You have to map a key for it yourself in the Controls. I only get about 8x max out of it. Last night I flew an SBD Campaign and ended up Time Skipping about 60minutes. That kept me looking at the Black Screen of Bordom for about 12 minutes. Of course at each waypoint it jumped out and I had to check my map and look around, then Time Skip again. I was swearing at my pc! "C'mon you pos, hurry up damn it!!"

hi_stik
03-14-2006, 09:40 AM
I get around this by turning the speed down to 1/4, go do an errand or something, watch TV, or use the facilities, then by the time I'm done, I'm near the target. CONVENIENT

Jumoschwanz
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I always noticed that timeskip worked at the same speed as 8x also, so I never used it, I liked 8x instead because you could SEE what is going on and stop where you want to.

Video ram should have nothing to do with timeskip because it does not display during it's use. So if your computer, through a lack of ram or cpu power, cannot run in 8x smoothly, there is no reason it should be able to complete the calculations for all objects any faster during time-skip, which it seems it certainly is doing, as anything, any small details that goes into time-skip comes out the other end. The only way you could speed things up is to re-map the mission and just delete the boring part where you are just flying over water for god knows how long.