PDA

View Full Version : So if English is the official language of the holy land...

Archabacteria
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Why do all of the higher ranking guards and all the random templars speak some nonsense language? (possibility of offense not considered here, I don't know of any languages that sound like what they're spitting out)

If anyone DOES recognize these languages, some translations would be cool.

ARandomKid
03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I know that the Acre guards sometimes shout out French, because I know French! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (But don't ask me to translate what they're saying, because I'm not THAT good with it plus I haven't memorized the phrases. I could probably give you a rough translation if I weren't so lazy if you REALLY wanted to know that badly, though. >_> )

As for the others, no idea. Also the Acre guards apparently are tri-lingual, knowing English, French, and another language I can't determine that might actually end up just being French I don't recognize.

WNxOmNiCiDe
03-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I know some of the guards in Acre were also speaking German, it may have just been the ones near the docks as "Sibrand" seems to be clearly german...

I don't know the exact translations but I know they said "something something something Dead Man" I assume something along the lines of if we ever find that assassin he is a dead man (torte mann or tote mann, been 5 years since I've taken German)

ARandomKid
03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by WNxOmNiCiDe:
I know some of the guards in Acre were also speaking German, it may have just been the ones near the docks as "Sibrand" seems to be clearly german...

I don't know the exact translations but I know they said "something something something Dead Man" I assume something along the lines of if we ever find that assassin he is a dead man (torte mann or tote mann, been 5 years since I've taken German)

I've heard that, sounds like "I want my dead man" with a Russian accent to me. Something like "I vant my dead mahn>"

Also something sounding similar to "None of my affair". (But then, my ears have been known to hear things like crap. If you ask me what the lyrics are to a song I just heard, for example, I can guarantee you that 90% of the time I will be unable to give you the official lyrics based upon simply hearing said song)

Xanatos2007
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
"You've probably noticed that English is quickly becoming the official language of the Holy Land."
- Lucy Stillman
Problem solved.

shimpaku
03-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I can only assume that you must be referring to AC1. I've picked out some German, French and Arabic (obviously!) and of course, English. I speak a little German but in all honesty I could not make out what was said aside from the fact that it sounded like German. Other than that, it never occurred to me just what they said nor was it of any importance to me. I do however remember that I used very explicit swearing (English) while I fought against them! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

shimpaku
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"You've probably noticed that English is quickly becoming the official language of the Holy Land."
- Lucy Stillman
Problem solved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So said Lucy for the sake of the game. She also told him that he would be able understand all of the languages. Hey.....it's a video "game" and with that comes a lot of ridiculous license.

Strayfe79
03-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Well the Teutonic knights are the ones that speak German, historically speaking they are a Germanic order of knights, some of the others are definately speaking french, some of the Templars were speaking french I know for sure may have been other Acre guards as well, maybe some Hospitaliers. Those were the two main languages I've noticed, besides Arabic

caswallawn_2k7
03-02-2010, 05:00 AM
look up the third crusades, there are loads of different countries taking part in it, so it stands all these people who came from their country would still speak their own language.

itsamea-mario
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
well game wise, i think the reason the majority of the speech is english is because of the translator in the animus as we know. it obviously only translates the main languages, e.g. the native ones, but doeas not translate german, french etc.

ARandomKid
03-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by shimpaku:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"You've probably noticed that English is quickly becoming the official language of the Holy Land."
- Lucy Stillman
Problem solved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So said Lucy for the sake of the game. She also told him that he would be able understand all of the languages. Hey.....it's a video "game" and with that comes a lot of ridiculous license. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TECHNICALLY, Desmond is not us. So he may be able to understand perfectly while we are left in the dark :P

Datashocker
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ARandomKid:

TECHNICALLY, Desmond is not us. So he may be able to understand perfectly while we are left in the dark :P

Thats a good point. He may know a little French, German, ect.