PDA

View Full Version : Why i dont level bomb:

NekoReaperman
04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
I would like nothing more then to fly bombers at 10,000+ feet and drop bombs onto enemy targets, but the problem is

I SUCK AT MATH!

I really dont feel like pulling out IAS/TAS conversion tables (probibly the biggest issue for me), obsessivly playing with trim, inputing all of these onto a computer, and still missing...

The fact is, level bombing is too difficult for the average user to pick up and do... even if they wish they could...

Lodovik
04-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Dunno, I suck at math too, but by practising, using the level stabilizer, learning the bombing tables and optimising my bomb sight controls by trial and error I can now level bomb pretty OK. Not a pickel barrel from 10 000 ft. but OK.
Compared with the overall learning curve of this sim, I'd say level bombing is rather easy to learn. Lots of fun too, when you get the knack of it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

R988z
04-26-2006, 09:49 AM
so dive bomb then, or go in on the deck

thefruitbat
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
you dont need to learn loads of things to be able to do it, you can learn just the speed height and angle of the bombsight that you want to bomb at.

i would really recomend looking at some of the bombing guides on airwarfare here

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm

in spinners there's tables that i found really usefull. I used these to learn to bomb at a couple of different heights that i wanted to use, 3000, 3500, and 4000m in a b25. To be honest i normally bomb at 3000 cause i'm to lazy to climb the extra 1000m http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

So at 3000m, 200mph/320kmh/170kts when the target passes through 39.5 degrees elevation in the bombsight, (as you can only change your sight by 1 degree elevations, you have to release just before your target passes through the sight) drop your bomb and u will hit it everytime with a few practises.

when i was learning i made myself a mission in fmb, bombing a he111 on an runway. It really was satisfying to hit it from 4000m, and still have bombs left.

hope this helps

fruitbat

Platypus_1.JaVA
04-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, Il-2 Maddox should make the bombardier (the guy who does the bomb sight)a seperate crew member. You should be able to activate the autopilot who should keep the aircraft perfectly level at constan speed. Then you can adjust your sight with out worrying about altitudes, speeds and headings. Because that would all have been determined by the briefing that all the flight crew had gotten at the start of the mission. (in real life)

nickdanger3
04-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Use the level bombing guide http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/b25_lbg.htm

It'll get you up to speed pretty quickly.

Crash_Moses
04-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Can opened, worms everywhere...

Level bombing is a blast! (pun intended) And easy once you get the hang of it. As Lodovik and thefruitbat said, ya just gotta practice until you get the hang of it.

It's easier than landing a Val on a carrier, I tell you what...

Set up a practice mission in the FMB, give yourself plenty of distance to line up, come in at about 10,000ft (3000m) and keep trying until you get it right.

The best way to approach a ship is lengthwise but I've gotten to the point where I can set up an approach to a previously unknown target from any angle and get a direct hit 85% to 90% of the time. It just takes a little practice.

Forget about manual bombing to start (especially if you don't like the math!) I've been experimenting with the bombing tables and I think we may need new ones since the last few patches. Working on that too...

1. Set yourself up in the FMB in your plane of choice at 10,000ft and about 20 or 30 miles from the target. Your bombload should be 500 or 1000 pounders. Lighter bombs tend to scatter too much at high altitudes (which is great if you're going after an airfield).

2. Head towards the target. Don't worry about lining up perfectly just yet. Just give yourself plenty of time for adjustment. Climb until you are slightly higher than 10,000ft and hit the level stabalizer. If you're in the B-25 (my personal favorite) it's going to sink if you don't keep your airspeed up. Adjust your throttle and/or prop-pitch until your airspeed settles between 180 and 200 mph. 80% throttle and 85% prop-pitch should do it. At this point the B-25 will still sink slowly. As soon as your altitude is right at 10,000 ft. adjust your elevator trim all the way up. You won't have to worry about your altitude again.

3. Now hop into the bombadier compartment. If you look to your left there is an airspeed indicator. It has two needles. One shows IAS and the other shows TAS. Ignore it. I just wanted y'all to know where it was (that question gets asked a lot). Now, activate your bombsight. You should see numbers and hash marks and all that. If you don't, take your feet off the rudder pedals and wait a few moments. It will pop up when the aircraft stabalizes. Once it does, raise your sight elevation until you can see your target. It most likely won't be centered. Use your rudder trim to move the plane left or right until the target is centered.

4. Adjust your bombsight altitude to 10,000ft. Actually you can do this anytime. I usually adjust it while I'm taxiing to take off. It saves a little time. (BTW: I've picked 10,000ft because I get slightly better accuracy at that altitude. I suspect there are similar sweetspots where altitude and TAS match up perfectly as the bombsight can only be adjusted in set increments)

5. Now comes the tricky part, but guess what? No math! Center your crosshairs on the ship (you should try and set them at the near end of the ship. Your first set of bombs will hit just past that point). Now, enable the automatic bombsight. If the crosshairs creep down you want to adjust your bombsight speed down. If they creep up then adjust the speed up. Once you hit the right speed they should stay centered on the target (you may have to disengage and engage the bombsight several times to get it right where you want it but you can adjust the bombsight speed while the sight is engaged so don't worry about that). NOTE: When set correctly the sight will still creep down slightly. This is normal! It's worse farther away so you'll have to save your final adjustments until you're closer. Just keep disengaging and reengaging the sight until the effect disappears (usually about 20 sec. before the bombs drop).

6. Kaboom! Holy ****! Direct hit! Target destroyed!

I know it looks complicated and I'm a bit wordy (rhymes with nerdy) but level bombing rocks! Keep at it...we need more bomber pilots!!!!

But what about manual bombing you ask? Well, that's a little more complicated and I won't get into it here (at least not until my definitive work on the subject is complete) But Spinners' guide (for which thefruitbat graciously posted the link) is an excellent resource if you want to know more. I think a link to Bombsight Table 2 (a small TSR bombing applet) is there as well.

You do want to know more, don't you????? Don't you!?!?!?!?!

S!