PDA

View Full Version : Random shutdown problem. Please help!

XyZspineZyX
11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Hello Chaps,

Im having a bit of a problem here. Short story: when im playing FB (or anything else) computer shuts down all of a sudden with no warning..just poof. Otherwise any other application runs just fine (video, image editing, movie and music playback) ..no problems at all. This shutdown is purely random and i noticed that there is no time interval. What i suspect, but im not sure of and what somebody to confirm: my mobo is Epox 4G4A with intel chipset and supports only PC2100 type DDR memory (thats what it says in the manual)...i have a 512mb stick PC2700. What the silly thing is that i used to have a 128 stick PC2700 and i had no problems at all. I reinstalled win98, FB, drivers, even made driver updates...nothing /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
What i need to know is:
1) Is this memory related (PC2700 instead of supported PC2100)?
2) Is this because of win98 memory management?
3) Is this because of hardware failure (mobo or ram)?
4) is this because of some faulty settings in bios?
5) Is this because i didnt yet update the bios?
Here is my configuration:
-Mobo Epox 4G4A on intel i845 chipset
-512 DDRAM PC2700 (one module)
-Intel P4 processor at 2.4 Ghz (no overclock)
-Asus GeForce4 Ti 4200/ 128 DDR (no overclock)
-running Windows 98 SE (no updates)

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

*!*

LUFTWAFFE (R) is a copyright of Hermann Goering, (c) 1935. All rights reserved.

XyZspineZyX
11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Hello Chaps,

Im having a bit of a problem here. Short story: when im playing FB (or anything else) computer shuts down all of a sudden with no warning..just poof. Otherwise any other application runs just fine (video, image editing, movie and music playback) ..no problems at all. This shutdown is purely random and i noticed that there is no time interval. What i suspect, but im not sure of and what somebody to confirm: my mobo is Epox 4G4A with intel chipset and supports only PC2100 type DDR memory (thats what it says in the manual)...i have a 512mb stick PC2700. What the silly thing is that i used to have a 128 stick PC2700 and i had no problems at all. I reinstalled win98, FB, drivers, even made driver updates...nothing /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
What i need to know is:
1) Is this memory related (PC2700 instead of supported PC2100)?
2) Is this because of win98 memory management?
3) Is this because of hardware failure (mobo or ram)?
4) is this because of some faulty settings in bios?
5) Is this because i didnt yet update the bios?
Here is my configuration:
-Mobo Epox 4G4A on intel i845 chipset
-512 DDRAM PC2700 (one module)
-Intel P4 processor at 2.4 Ghz (no overclock)
-Asus GeForce4 Ti 4200/ 128 DDR (no overclock)
-running Windows 98 SE (no updates)

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

*!*

LUFTWAFFE (R) is a copyright of Hermann Goering, (c) 1935. All rights reserved.

XyZspineZyX
11-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Have a look at your PSU if your losing power

No1RAAF_Pourshot
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~andycarroll68/CA-15%20Kangaroo.jpg

No1_RAAF

XyZspineZyX
11-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Try the ram in different slots, sometimes that will do it.

Also, Consider Heat. IL2 is a very intensive game. Make sure your case isnt sitting beside a heat duct and check all the fans. They may just need a good ole cleaning.

Check the ram timings in your bios. Set them to 7-3-3-3 and try setting the speed to 133 if you can.

Good luck!

PF-Coastie

<p align="center">http://www.artjunky.com/phantomfighters/images/419x100phantomfighters01.gif (http://www.artjunky.com/phantomfighters/default.asp)

Coasties Place (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/)

XyZspineZyX
11-10-2003, 06:24 PM
I had similar problems, turned out to be one of the updates to XP applied later in the life of the computer. I had to reformat install all of the up dates prior to installing any other programs. I still have some goofy problems that can be atributed to the updates.
Good Luck