PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help

sweetdaddy1954
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Pacific Fighters is my first flight sim game. In fact, it's my first PC game. Now that I've retired from the workforce, I thought it might be an entertaining way to spend some time. However, aside from simple dogfighting, I am unable to do anything with this game. Is there a manual or guide? I sense there is so much more in this game than just dogfighting.

sweetdaddy1954
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Pacific Fighters is my first flight sim game. In fact, it's my first PC game. Now that I've retired from the workforce, I thought it might be an entertaining way to spend some time. However, aside from simple dogfighting, I am unable to do anything with this game. Is there a manual or guide? I sense there is so much more in this game than just dogfighting.

DxyFlyr
05-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Go to this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645) and spend some time perusing Bearcat's links. All you need to know and more.

...and as many have said... "welcome to the addiction"

VW-IceFire
05-11-2007, 08:58 PM
That thread should help. I'll just offer some friendly encouragement. This is a great game/simulator/whatever...its got allot of depth to it and thats the reason you can spend a couple of years mastering all of the different areas to the game (you by no means need to master all of it). Take your time...it will come slowly and then parts will start to become second nature.

Good luck flying!

Zeus-cat
05-11-2007, 09:28 PM
If you need help taking off or landing check out my "Straight From the Farm" campaign mentioned in the thread above.

DxyFlyr
05-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Not sure we've answered your question. Yes there is a guide. Check your disks for pdf's with game info. The manual is a pdf that you'll find in the main IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 game folder on your hard drive. It's just called "Manual.pdf"

What else is there to do with the game? What's your poison? If you're a history buff, you might like building your own missions based on your favorite war stories. Check out the "Full Mission Builder" on the main menu of the game. Lots of maps to choose from-- 200 some odd planes. You can place nearly any object in the game wherever you want, set up ground battles, flights, etc and write up the brief. That pdf manual has a shortish "How To" section on the FMB.

If you'd rather play them than make them, check out the numerous campaigns written by folks in the community. Lot's of good one's out there.

If you're the artistic type, you might like painting and flying your own aircraft skins. Some guys have even produced movies from in-game footage.

The best bang for your buck is online play. That's where the game comes alive for me. Specifically, cooperative play at Hyperlobby. There's nothing better than a big rowdy coop with folks from all over the planet; half of 'em teaming up to meet some objective while the other half are beating all heck to keep you from it. Throw in a cheap set of headphones and Ventrilo or Teamspeak and you can tell that joker flying your wing he's about to get himself killed or you need someone to cover your rear. Whatever. It's all fun.

My problem is finding the time to do all I'd like to do.

buzzsaw1939
05-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Sweetdaddy....Heres a little bit from another (retired noob) some times I feel like I'm to old to be here, but these guys are great, and you can trust them! even when they are slightly wrong about somethong in the real world, they know this sim, and the histoians will make you dizzy, I spent a lot of money on my puter, just so that I could get the most from this game, as I come from the aviation world, I can tell you, it is the most realistic one there is, (in my opinion) I might suggest that if you can, get IL2 1946 then one patch, 4.08, and you will save yourself a lot of headaches, you will have every thing you will ever need, I went through 2 vertions of PF with problems that nobody could relate to, it's much better now! I'm still haveing fun in single missions, like these guys said, it will take time, but I'm loveing it, if I can help with anything that only a noob would understand, give me a shout, I'll get back with my best spelling! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Skycat_2
05-12-2007, 03:10 PM
The first thing you'll have to do in Pacific Fighters (if you haven't already) is define several key commands under your Controls area. These include the tailhook, chocks remove, seat raise and canopy open for the carrier based planes, and the manual landing gear retraction and lowering on the Wildcat. Until you do this, you won't be able to control your plane even for taking off from the carriers (and sometimes from terra firma either).

The single missions that come with Pacific Fighters are very limited in variety, but many of them are training and practice missions where you can land various planes on carrier decks. Practice those, and also try Zeus-cat's training mission pack. That should be linked in the Bearcat99 thread posted above.

You can begin an offline career through the Pilot Career area. Pick a nationality and campaign type, set the difficulty options you want to play under, choose a campaign location and aircraft type, and generate your first mission. If you are successful in each mission -- or if you have instant success enabled under difficulty options -- then you can move on to the next mission by pressing the escape key and accepting the results of the mission you just flew.

Bearcat99
05-13-2007, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sweetdaddy1954:
Pacific Fighters is my first flight sim game. In fact, it's my first PC game. Now that I've retired from the workforce, I thought it might be an entertaining way to spend some time. However, aside from simple dogfighting, I am unable to do anything with this game. Is there a manual or guide? I sense there is so much more in this game than just dogfighting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. I consider what we do more like WWII virtual aerial combat reenactment. I highly recommend that you purchase IL2 46 though. This sim is much more than dogfighting.

As a direct result of dealing with this sim I have become an amateur graphic artist (which began when I learned how to make my own aircraft skins... now I am pretty handy with Photoshop if I must say so myself..), Know much much more about 20th century history than I did a decade ago, I have met people from all over the world, some face to face, made friends that I never would have met if not for this pastime of mine, Learned about ordinance aeronautical engineering, learned how to build and fix my own PCs..(I was on the road to actually doing that... but it was my interest in simming and this sim in particular that kept me using the PC and thus making it very important to me that I not only keep it up and running.. but running well), am learning web design... I made my own website using a wizard .. but hey... 9 years ago I couldn't do that. I have come to meet and fraternize with some of my heroes, see some of the aircraft I used to fantasize about up close and personal and fly them every day in this top notch product.

Some of the campaigns are very good, You might want to get into mission building or skinning, or campaign making. I have been in this sim since 2002..and I have yet to use the DCG.. I am having so much fun with what is available. heck It took me almost 2 years before I stopped using the QMB exclusively...

sweetdaddy1954
05-17-2007, 01:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DxyFlyr:
Go to this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645) and spend some time perusing Bearcat's links. All you need to know and more.

...and as many have said... "welcome to the addiction" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did as instructed and it was simply awesome. Many, many thanks to all who responded to my original post. It's great to see a community where the members are so generous with their time and expertise. You guys are totally awesome and I'm very grateful for all your help.
Thanks again!

sweetdaddy1954
05-17-2007, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
Sweetdaddy....Heres a little bit from another (retired noob) some times I feel like I'm to old to be here, but these guys are great, and you can trust them! even when they are slightly wrong about somethong in the real world, they know this sim, and the histoians will make you dizzy, I spent a lot of money on my puter, just so that I could get the most from this game, as I come from the aviation world, I can tell you, it is the most realistic one there is, (in my opinion) I might suggest that if you can, get IL2 1946 then one patch, 4.08, and you will save yourself a lot of headaches, you will have every thing you will ever need, I went through 2 vertions of PF with problems that nobody could relate to, it's much better now! I'm still haveing fun in single missions, like these guys said, it will take time, but I'm loveing it, if I can help with anything that only a noob would understand, give me a shout, I'll get back with my best spelling! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your help. So IL2 1946 is an entirely different game? Will it merge with Pacific Fighter?

Yellow_Sub
05-17-2007, 02:52 AM
It will not merge with Pacific Fighters.

IL2 1946 is compilation of everything which was produced for the IL2 Forgotten Battles series.
Including:
IL2 Forgotten Battles
Ace Expansion Pack
Pacific Fighters
PE-2 Peshka Addon
Manchuria Addon
1946 Addon

It is a stand alone installation, you could de-install Pacific Fighters then.

buzzsaw1939
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
to say it more simple, its all in there, and so far it works better than the older ones, you will need to load one patch, only takes a few minutes with high speed, while every one else is struggeling with a bunch of patches ( in the right order!) you will be flying!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I was upset that I couldn't control my SBD, in the old one, and nobody could help, because they didn't have that problem, now I'm haveing a ball, jumping between gunner and pilot and getting my butt shot off! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Philipscdrw
05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
"Il2 1946" contains all the Il-2 versions including Pacific Fighters, and installs seperately.

Bearcat99
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
As a side note.. bear in mind that clearly over half of this community is over 30... 1/3 is over 40..... so you arent dealing with a bunch of kids here either.. although you sometimes wouldn't think it.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

buzzsaw1939
05-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks Bearcat.... I think I feel a little better about that now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MAX_theHitman
05-18-2007, 11:04 PM
*bump* for this thread.
Interesting things to read and learn he~re.

Thanks all

Bearcat99
05-21-2007, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buzzsaw1939:
Thanks Bearcat.... I think I feel a little better about that now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7501072845?r=3611072845#3611072845) should give you an idea of what you are getting into.... someone posted it a few months ago. The thread that I linked to within the thread above that I linked.. (does that make sense) is almost 2 years old... so everyone is almost 2 years older... LOL

buzzsaw1939
05-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks bearcat... I really enjoyed that thread, I do sometimes wonder what people look like, being fairly new here, the only name I recognized was Cruislander, of course I figured his personality to be simular to John Bolushi (avatar) I still miss him! It is kind of like talkin through a door to people you can't see, vs, walking in and shakeing hands, It sort of makes it more real! I think it's a great idea to see pics of people that I'm talking to, I wouldn't mind sharing a pic or two, why don't you start another one, I'm sure theres enough noobs in here to make it interesting. Thanks again! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif