PDA

View Full Version : If you could pick one...

Driverman2006
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Driver has had drivable road vehicles in all of their games (and Driv3r had drivable water vehicles too). So, I think Reflections should move on and make ALL modes of transportation operable so we can see the city or cities from all angles.

If I could pick just one though, I would pick the first one (trains, subways, and other railroad vehicles). Trains have a lot in common with the bigger road vehicles like trucks and buses. The only difference is that they run on the tracks and not on the road. I also think that the first option would be the most appropriate type of non-road vehicles. I mean, it's called "Driver", you would drive a train to make it move (I've said that for more than 2 years now). Hell, in England a person who drives a train is called a "Driver" (all the British people I know told me that one). And trains run through the same types of environments as road vehicles. They all run through tunnels, drive over bridges, etc.

What kind of "New" mode of transportation do you want to get your hands on in the next Driver game? If you say $#!+ like "We don't need those kinds of vehicles" or if a flame war breaks out, I WILL report you.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif SERIOUS TRANSPORTATION FREAKS ONLY. And please, post pictures of the "Other" vehicles you wish to see in the next Driver game (if you want). Enjoy the thread!http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Assault_machine
01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
It's a very big question for me to answer, but, yes, I do suppose it would be alright if we were able to drive more than just cars and other automobiles as well as motorbikes. This may be a good time to present a great deal of freedom, especially if it can go with the amount of variety in vehicles that you have to yourself. I do recall myself saying that I only find land vehicles as the right most option, but someday, in a future Driver game, it could be a good idea to move beyond that barrier.

In the end, I really don't mind whether we end up with only land vehicles or something beyond that. It is all upto Reflections. I just hope that the on-foot features and the driving experience will be pushed even further, not only in variety, but also it how polished the gameplay is. After all, those things matter the most. If a game can't be polished enough, there is just not enough reason to play through it. It must be fair, fun, give feedback, and offer feasibility, which are part of the 4F's of GGD (Great Game Design) that I learned about in one of my books about designing video games.

driver_madness
01-05-2008, 03:03 AM
We MUST not get off the ground, particularly with the driver series.
Because if we fall of the road, we're no longer a wheelman running away from the cops and that is what the series is about. High Pursuit car chases.

Not Plane changes, not boat chases, and well not railroad vehicles.
CARS, it's all about driving cars.

Yet, I voted for Trains. Trains are a major part of our driving lives. I have never herd of anyone who has never come across a pair of train tracks being a part of the road.

Particularity in well designed cities. Where they have trains going everywhere, not just the few you have going around in Driver: Parallel Lines and Driv3r.

What's a living city with trains, we can always do without planes and boats. But it's always good to see that they exist, programmers should really waste too much time making them drivable, particularly planes as then city artists have to worry about fully modeling the roofs of buildings.

Unless they were able to design a good enough engine which will only render on the screen which you could possibly see. As I know most games render elements which you don't usually see.

Finally, you also say drivable vehicles.
I believe none of them should be drivable, they should just exist.

But would be good to place a car somewhere on the track, maybe millions of cars in a row and get the train and full speed ahead.

In the end I think we should still truly focus on driving, but it would be good just to have a couple percent dedicated to on-foot, driving trains and maybe planes.

But keep 95% of the gameplay focused on driving and stealing other cars. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JacksonL2007
01-05-2008, 09:18 AM
A list of the driveable modes of transport I'd like to see in the next driver.

Cars
Motorbikes
Push Bikes
Aircraft of all types is a must
Water vehicles, e.g. boats, jet skies etc
Your own two legs
Big cars like trucks, lorrys, tanks, swat vans etc

I'd be ok if we didnt get to drive trains but I'd say we must beable to ride them

InsaneDriver06
01-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Though planes and trains are not the same as automobiles, they would add another dimension of transportation to keep the game from getting stale months later.

I have to admit I wouldn't mind hopping on a train at a station, manually walking down an aisle, sitting down where I want and looking out the window while the great scenery rolls by.

And flying is great, but for Driver? At least one flyable vehicle would be nice to be honest, but only with a cheat code, or once discovered and unlocked.

Boats? Unless they can come up with some awesome stunt ramps, boat tunnels and channels to maneuver through, boats are kind of the dullest form of transportation possible. Just water and more water to avoid. Throw in strategy, like avoid big waves, and boats would be much more exciting to ride. In Driv3r, forget it...

I do agree that missions should be 95% driving cars and sportbikes for fast, intense chases.

JacksonL2007
01-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
Though planes and trains are not the same as automobiles, they would add another dimension of transportation to keep the game from getting stale months later.

I have to admit I wouldn't mind hopping on a train at a station, manually walking down an aisle, sitting down where I want and looking out the window while the great scenery rolls by.

And flying is great, but for Driver? At least one flyable vehicle would be nice to be honest, but only with a cheat code, or once discovered and unlocked.

Boats? Unless they can come up with some awesome stunt ramps, boat tunnels and channels to maneuver through, boats are kind of the dullest form of transportation possible. Just water and more water to avoid. Throw in strategy, like avoid big waves, and boats would be much more exciting to ride. In Driv3r, forget it...

I do agree that missions should be 95% driving cars and sportbikes for fast, intense chases.

I totaly agree but I wish you would stop looking at the gameplay in percentages, If the game requires driving for it to be exciting for that part of the game then go for it, If it requires on-foot the go for it. The gameplay will suffer if you but percentages on time on a certain thing.

Driverman2006
01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
One thing that I love about railroad vehicles more than aircrafts and watercrafts is that there is such a HUGE variety of railroad vehicles in the world. Some examples include:

Steam Locomotives (The LNER Flying Scotsman is a good example)
http://www.birminghamrails.com/images/14._flying_scotsman_passing_sloss_jt.jpg

Diesel Locomotives (The Amtrak Genesis engines are good examples)
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c4/300px-AMTK5-132A_Geno_Dailey.jpg

Electric Locomotives (The Amtrak Acela train is a good example)
http://www.road-scholar.org/road-images/acela.jpg

Trolleys (The San Francisco trolleys are good examples)
http://www.visitortips.com/images/gallery/destinations/usa/california/san_francisco/fullsize/sanfran4.jpg

Subways (The MTA New York Subways are good examples)
http://www.internationalist.org/nyctransit051223ap.jpg

Maintenance trains (the Speno Grinding train is a good example)
http://www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff/r2/speno2.jpg

Hi Railer trucks (This Canadian Pacific Chevy pickup hi railer is a good example)
http://www.trains.com/trn/objects/images/trackside_v6_hi-rail_truck.jpg

So, do you see the variety of railroad vehicles? Pretty massive isn't it? I sure hope Reflections could put at least some diesels and subways in the next Driver game. But I would love it if they could pick a city where you'd see all kinds of these trains and railroad vehicles (and that's also fun to drive road vehicles on too).

InsaneDriver06
01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Those tracked vehicles do look welcoming; fun to ride as a passenger or the operator. Exciting? Not unless you can crank 'em up to 150 mph and over, trying to keep the train on the track around tight turns, smashing into crossing cars, etc.

Viewing the scenery would be cool too. Driv3r's trolleys are the main reason I visit Turkey in the game. Hop in and watch the scenery go by, with a free ride. SF should have offered the same option in Driver 1.

As far as percentages go, it's purpose keeps the Driver series in check with the theme of Driving, not walking around shooting stuff most of the time; I can play Stranglehold for that. Do I want a few on foot missions? Sure, but only if it's up to par with games that are mostly designed as on foot games, like Gears of War or Star Wars Battlefront. Anything below that and we're back into Driver 2/Driv3r/DPL on foot territory; boring on foot gameplay.

Assault_machine
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Of course there are many railroad vehicles. After all, steam locomotives were around much before that of automobiles, so you can at least say that this gave it enough time to develop into even more forms of railroad vehicles. Other than that, I have to agree with all of you guys who said that any railroad vehicles should be implemented into the next Driver game. It is the easiest type of new transportation that can ever make its way into the Driver franchise next, so this should be the next direction. It would be the perfect way to spend one's time as a passenger and to get around the city. Of course the controls would have to be pretty simple (accelerate forward, reverse and go backwards, sound the train, etc.) and these vehicles could only move forward or backwards, but it would still be great to say that a new addition of land vehicles are to be added for the Driver franchise. And yes, a train engineer or the person who rides the train is considered a "driver." I read about that a while back on Wikipedia.

As for the other forms of transportation, it would be the most challenging parts to implement. Maybe the boats would not be the most hard to implement since you were able to drive them in D3 and because the team may know even more on what can be done with them, but the aircraft, for sure, would be the most difficult to make driveable.

I'm hoping that if Reflections is able to come up with a great variety of new ideas and improved, existed ideas for all the kinds of transportation, we should then be able to see them all together. Not only should they function and get destroyed more realisticly than in the GTA games, but they could also be put to use in a more realistic fashion as well (real occupations can be used for each of the vehicles and either being side jobs or careers). I would rather want real careers because it's too much of Rockstar North's style or even of other arcade games' styles to have there be side missions. Also, because it'll feel too much similar to the other games, it will grow repetitive really soon, particularly after having beaten them completely. Instead, driving missions can be used for each of these vehicles, which can allow for even more variety in the missions and it can have short, but still understandable and good storylines to back up each career. The careers' missions along with their storylines should take around 2 hours to complete, in my opinion, especially if there are going to be as much as 5 or several more careers, which would really help the replay value jump up. The undercover mode should be perhaps longer in its missions and storyline, but being good quality. The other careers need to be good too.

Driverman2006
01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Well, actually, trains aren't as easy as you think when it comes to driving. Driving a train is not like driving a train in GTA:SA where it only has 2 buttons. On all trains, they have a throttle, brakes (train and sometimes a locomotive brake), whistle/horn, bell (mainly just on North American trains), reverser/johnson bar, cylinder ***** (steam trains), dynamic brakes (some diesels have them) and others. I hope they make it so that the trains in the next Driver game (if made drivable, which is what I highly support), they make all the controls in the cab operable and seperate from each other. It might take a little while to get used to, but at least it would be original compared to GTA. One thing about GTA:SA with the trains is that people wanted more of a challenge with them, 2 controls on the controller was not enough. CJ would apply/release breaks and use the throttle himself, not the player. I would like to have the controls seperate from each other in all trains in the next Driver game, this will REALLY have an impact on your driving, and you could drive a train at your "Preference" in terms of accelerating and slowing down.

Oh, will GTA IV have drivable trains or subways? I didn't hear them say "Yes" or "No" about that. They did say no about flyable planes though.

Assault_machine
01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh, will GTA IV have drivable trains or subways? I didn't hear them say "Yes" or "No" about that. They did say no about flyable planes though.
I'm positive that GTA IV will have driveable trains and subways. If you remember the first trailer, it was showing a subway, meaning that there is a subway in the game and knowing that Rockstar North loves to expand on the vehicle roster, it could be that they'll include every railroad vehicle in the game as a driveable one.
As for planes, no, they won't be flyable because it would make it seem like 9/11 if a plane was to crash into a building. Also, GTA III didn't have very many planes flyable either because of the many skyscrapers, which didn't fit it right in flying any planes. To me, this sounds like the right direction. Helicopters are much easier to land and are pretty fast as well, so they're perfect for aircraft in GTA IV.

Now that I think more about Driver's direction, I feel that it really only needs land vehicles driveable because Reflections would be doing it out of lines if they considered it right for a cop to fly a plane and helicopter, as well as ride a boat. Gangsters are best suited for this. Infact, I'm quite tired with the many themes that open-ended free-roam games have been taking. If the Driver franchise is to continue with the lame undercover cop storylines and even go with a gangster approach, I assure you that it won't be anything much new, nor amazing.

Having thought it through more now, I believe that Reflections should, just as they did with DPL, shift even more into a different direction with the kind of story and characters as well as the theme for it. Let me think. What kind of a story and theme would be the best fit for the license to do anything and for a unique storyline? I'd have to say that we need to see more games that follow as inspirations of the 007 movies and books. Just think about how much cooler it would be to work for a secret service and have to take down bad guys as well as escape from cops. Not only that, but you'd have the license to kill, to use gadgets & weapons, to use any vehicle you wish, and so much more. This would be a very unique direction for the Driver franchise. It would largely help the story, driving, and on-foot more. However, even by saying this, I don't just want a 007 rip-off, I want its elements to be put to great uses and even for certain things to head into new directions. Also, if you think about it, this would be a perfect story and direction to allow for both a good and bad side, thus allow for many more choices and contrasts between those two sides. Last, but not least, aircraft and watercraft would make a lot of sense to make it into such a unique direction as this one.