PDA

View Full Version : Patch 4.0m

JimmyGrimm
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
This is appearing on ubi.com & HL this evening, and links to unofficial sites are floating around - when is it official?

blairgowrie
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
It will officially be released tomorrow according to CrazyIvan the mod. That was the plan anyway.

ElAurens
06-08-2005, 03:52 PM
The patch was leaked, which has cost 1C quite a bit in bandwidth apparently. Please do not attempt to DL the V4.0 until it is officially released.

I only hope that the actions of a few have not caused the entire community, and Maddox Games, irreperable harm.

JimmyGrimm
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
I would rather wait for the official version , and I am working away for a few days anyway so I guess I can wait anyway, but I was surpised to see it.

AirborneCoyote
06-08-2005, 04:01 PM
I saw all of the links while browsing from a school computer.

Then I come home to this.

Should I keep slamming my head in the door, or wait until tomorrow?

Popey109
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
What a load of BS!!!!! After all the whining about bandwidth the link to IC is still up and working! Who the f*** are they kidding€¦thanks for the patch http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif gona go try it out

whiteladder
06-08-2005, 04:31 PM
I only hope that the actions of a few have not caused the entire community, and Maddox Games, irreperable harm.

You look back through the last ten pages of any of these forums. Then you count the number of threads that contain links to other web sites, I bet if we are all honest none of us have done any of the following before clicking those links:-

Check to see the owner of said web site have given permission for those hyperlinks to be placed.

Given any consideration for the amount of bandwidth we are using on other peoples sites, to download, video, images, sounds... etc

Given any consideration that the data we have transfered may in some way infringe the copyright of someone else.

I would suspect most would have click the link and if it worked, not given a second thought the any of the above.

Now consider this, I believe (and I may be wrong!) that most of us try to be honest law abiding people. If we had clicked those links and got a please enter username and password that would have been the end of our attempts to follow those links.

I`ll by honest I thought it was a legitimate release, when I saw that it was being mirrored at places like CheckSix I was convinced. I was wrong and I haven`t installed or run the patch. My guess is that a lot of people were in the same position as me.

LeadSpitter_
06-08-2005, 04:43 PM
I seen it floating around everywhere.

carguy_
06-08-2005, 05:02 PM
I like your new sig ,spitter!

You`re paranoid though.

Chuck_Older
06-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I could do without the David Hasselhawful part though. Stick Angel Boris or somebody on there

Capt.England
06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
It contains a virus...that should put of many people before the official download...lol! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

DarkBlueMan
06-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey Lead! Is that part of David's undercarriage dangling between his legs or is he happy to see us?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Malik_VII
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by DarkBlueMan:
Hey Lead! Is that part of David's undercarriage dangling between his legs or is he happy to see us?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

lmao http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

badaboom.1
06-08-2005, 06:32 PM
..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif.'KIT.....RETRACT HANGING APPENDAGE....'

altstiff
06-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Micheal, I sense a Spitfire on our six.....

PBNA-Boosher
06-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Waiting for the officialtude. Will probably download it tomorrow as a celebration for having completed my last final exam.

hawgdog2005
06-08-2005, 07:02 PM
patch nice?

Xiolablu3
06-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I dont know why there is all this moaning about people getting the 'unofficial' patch.

It is obviously given out to a lot of different users to test it out.
There is no other way to test it.

If any bad bugs are in it then it will be shown.

Downloading the 'unofficial' patch actually HELPS developers test it without having to pay beta testers. They can then act 'mad' that ppl got hold of it.

Anyone with half a brain knows this

altstiff
06-08-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm a 1/4 short in the 1/2 brain department.

And yes the patch is cool, the new FM is neat....

Tachyon1000
06-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Christ All-frigging Mighty, can't you rubes (UBI, Maddox, whoever) keep the frigging final version of the patch under lock and key until an official release? Whatever!!

marcocomparato
06-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I dont know why there is all this moaning about people getting the 'unofficial' patch.

It is obviously given out to a lot of different users to test it out.
There is no other way to test it.

If any bad bugs are in it then it will be shown.

Downloading the 'unofficial' patch actually HELPS developers test it without having to pay beta testers. They can then act 'mad' that ppl got hold of it.

Anyone with half a brain knows this

this is partially true. a stresstest unofficial release is good for getting any bugs in the obscure hardware/software configuration permutations of a test grid. however, there are two different test teams, and most gamers should understand this.

there is a development test team - usually entry-level programmers that do a very intensive form of back-and-forth with their assigned programmer on assigned bugs (the bugs are what are tracked, not the people. each open issue is assigned a programmer and a tester to resolve or provide a 'will-not-fix', 'cannot-fix', or 'not-a-bug' status. )

then there is a beta test team (cheaply paid after-school punks). they work for the publishing company - not the developers. They are verifying the fixes for all open issues for the publishers. See bro, the testers are actually how the developers and publishers are able to officially and finally prove the deliverables (the essential work order)were provided.

at least thats how we do it in california. its all about the deal and the deliverables.

the regression testers are how the publisher (or Oleg if he is paying for his own support on this title, which would be rare and special) can be able to verify that programmers are doing their job correctly.

Hristo_
06-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Sigh, our half-truth crusadere has outdone himself.

4.0 is Blue side only patch because it fixes a 3 year old bug ?

All this while Red side gets the fastest piston engined fighter in the sim, more potent P-38 and the Tempest (AI only though).

heywooood
06-08-2005, 10:16 PM
it feels pretty good to me....nice clouds.

dont like flying from the right seat though, so all Betty's are off.

Tempest looks pretty cool slicing through the clouds...some of the best flying I've seen - right up until I kill it with my Dora.

sapre
06-08-2005, 11:04 PM
No...No...
Must...Resist...Paaattttccchhh
I...Must...Resist...Until...Its...Official...!

thompet03
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
p38 outrolls 190(at high speeds..sure...) and outturns 109.... oh yes.. what a nice patch..

Spit still hangs on the prop...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Jetbuff
06-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by thompet03:
p38 outrolls 190(at high speeds..sure...) and outturns 109.... oh yes.. what a nice patch..

Spit still hangs on the prop...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
If those are your only two gripes and you grade the whole patch based on them, you need to review your priorities.

F19_Orheim
06-09-2005, 03:22 AM
The whining of the people
The madhouse has begun ...

Old men with their flightchartmaps
Lead us off to war
Sometimes we don€t even know
What we€re fighting for
Whining to the beat of their drum

"Experts" we no longer trust
Told too many lies
The promises they made to us
Were never realised
Hear me now the whine has begun

Nowhere left to turn
No-one left to turn to
Forums raised in anger
We don€t have the answer

carguy_
06-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Very amusing for me seeing ppl laugh at new FM.Like :"New FM is ridiculous!My plane keeps rolling to the left.I tested it in Bf109 no rolling to the left!".

Well at the very moment he hit enter to present me his brilliant opinion I was trying to counter the rolling.In Bf109.

All of you I plz refrain from describing new FM as realistic or arcade.

Wolfred
06-09-2005, 05:55 AM
New clouds and perfect settings, to slow on sli
Old clouds and perfect settings, is tested on a8nsli dlx.bios1008,AMD3500,75gb W.D raptor,1024OCZ-platinium, 2x6800gt´s leadtek,7713beta forceware. water=0 effects=0 + perfect.
Excellent settings water=2 effects=1, new clouds still to slow.
testing my sli rig 1600x1200 85hz

AFJ_Locust
06-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by LeadSpitter_:
I seen it floating around everywhere.

hahaha wtf is flying out of your nose lead ? its a missle lmao!!!

Nice !!!

WOLFMondo
06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by heywooood:

Tempest looks pretty cool slicing through the clouds...some of the best flying I've seen - right up until I kill it with my Dora.

Won't be doing that online yet. I downloaded it earlier and I do like the new FM allot, the 190 really benefits but the Mg151's are like Mk108's now, simply ridiculous.

I just hope this isn't going to be the final version and was some leaked beta.

carguy_
06-09-2005, 08:31 AM
Won't be doing that online yet. I downloaded it earlier and I do like the new FM allot, the 190 really benefits but the Mg151's are like Mk108's now, simply ridiculous.

That`s because MK108 is too weak.Last time I engaged your sig plane it took 5MK108 shells in the very same area(right cockpit-engine) and fell down because of engine faliure.Not like anything fell of the airframe.Firing range 130m.

WOLFMondo
06-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Carguy, I fly 190's more than any other plane and have done for 6 months+, Im more than glad the Mg151's were looked at but now there stupidly powerful now, the make the Hispano's look like 7mm pop guns.

Online and offline are also very different. Agreed sometimes it takes allot of 108's (comparativly) to bring down a plane but I can live with the fact that the visual damage model isn't always the same as the one calculated on the server, or there is packet losss or the ping is high and the visual effects are not always those that acually that are recorded by the server, like ALL online games.

Bremspropeller
06-09-2005, 09:18 AM
You mean that two MG rounds out of five make the gun "stupidly powerful" ? (anti-bomber mixes would mean three MG-rounds out of five)

Does anyone still have those pictures that show the damge caused by a single MG round-hit ?

Think about the following:
You have four 20mm guns blazing a lot more than 10 rounds per second each (we're gonna take 600rpm in order to keep mathematics simple). This adds up to 40 rounds per second.
That would lead up to 16 MG-rounds fired per second (again: at an estimated rate of 600rpm - the 151/20 has 700rpm syncronized {immer guns} and 750rpm unsynchronized {outer guns}).
Estimating that only half of your one-second-bust hits, the target still has to bear eight 20mm MG-rounds. Fired at convergence range, these eight rounds (plus 12 non MG-rounds which are included in this burst, of which at least one out of three is a "normal HE round) easyly rip off any fighter's wing.

Basicly all planes eat too much damage. Reading through pilot-reports I recognized that most planes are said to have gone down trailing a cloud of smoke and fire after eating very short bursts that were fired at them.

WOLFMondo
06-09-2005, 10:14 AM
I was using a D9. I've only flown in the D9 and 38 so far.

Im no allied whiner or Luftwhiner, I fly both sides and I enjoy the planes on both sides. I can objective about this, the D9 is probably my plane of choice right now but I think its ridiculous it can blow the tails of A20's in a short burst over a fraction of a second on target.

Odd how the Hispano is complained about being too good then the 151's are now equal too or better than the Hispano (IMHO) and its now ok to have guns that powerful http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

carguy_
06-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Online and offline are also very different. Agreed sometimes it takes allot of 108's (comparativly) to bring down a plane but I can live with the fact that the visual damage model isn't always the same as the one calculated on the server, or there is packet losss or the ping is high and the visual effects are not always those that acually that are recorded by the server, like ALL online games

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Funny how the packet loss problem is ignored in .303/.50cal threads.Ever thought MK108 has a bigger packet loss problem than MG151/20?That would result in MG151/20 causeing similar damage to MK108 that is supposedly crippled by packet loss problem.

Packet loss problem?So it happens everytime I use German cannons?That would explain why some planes go on and fly happily after 4 engine hits at 37deg angle.

Yuppy!Whining is over!We have a winner!His name is packet loss!

new-fherathras
06-09-2005, 01:18 PM
kn¸dderl¸stersm¸r

Fritz_75
06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
r¸dgr¸dmedfl¸de

NorrisMcWhirter
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
carguy: Haven't you realised? It's not packet loss, you need to learn to shoot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Sorry, I was in 'allied bidet brigade whiner' mode http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The 151/20s are improved but anyone who knows their history 'from the beta patches to 4.0m' knows full well that they've been downgraded significantly. I wonder if Oleg is busily making them even less effective for 4.01? That would, at least, be consistent with previous patches because the red side would have improved aircraft whereas LW will end up with a correctly belted 151/20 that's only as powerful as it was in 3.04m. So what if the Luftwhiners whine...they won't get it fixed before the last ever patch and they'll have to buy BoB, as pompously suggested previously, to get something half decent.

Not just the 151/20 but the FM has been changed, too, so that it feels a hell of a lot closer to 3.04 than it does to the 'tricky' 4.0 early betas. Again, that would be consistent with the historical development of this game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

This whole beta/patch leak fiasco stinks of a public beta irrespective of the comments from the man himself (which I don't buy). It was always going to be tricky to dish out a step-change FM modification so why not part release and judge the general consensus?

To suggest that this patch favours blue is a myth and I expect that to be particularly true of 4.01 when it eventually gets released in October.

Ta,
Norris