PDA

View Full Version : Automatically load mp_dotrange icon settings (How to)

Extreme_One
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
So most people know about adding your icon settings as an alias in the rcu file .... No?

Here's a guide (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=76)

There is also a way to shortcut these longwinded versions of the mp_dotrange command. In your IL2 directory there a file called rcu. Note that this file has no extension, and after modifying it you need to ensure that notepad hasn't been too helpful and added a .txt extension to it. In this file you can set aliases for long commands you use frequently. An alias is a shorthand version of the command. The default version of the rcu file contains the following text.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 100

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show</pre>

I don't know what the first line does. I think the second tells the IL2 console to echo the contents of the chat window. The 3rd activates aliases. The forth tells IL2 how many lines of chat to remember in the game chatlog.

The line @alias a alias sets "a" as a shorthand for "alias". The two following lines use the alias "a" to set "h" as an alias for "history" and "s" as an alias for "show".
If you add the following lines to your rcu. file, you will be able to apply any of the above icon settings with a 3 or 4 character command instead of typing the whole schemozzle quoted above each time you start a game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3</pre>

With these lines in your rcu. file typing ">tul" in the chat window will activate my version of the icon settings. Typing ">v2ff" will activate the second set of settings mentioned.
Typing ">v1fr" will activate the friendly icon settings in the first scheme, and ">v1fo" will activate the foe settings in the first scheme.

Credit to IJ of JG11 for developing the first scheme & vol_lizking for the second.

I hope this helps those of you who may be thinking of experimenting with custom icons.

I wish to thank all of those who have posted on this topic in the past. Most of my knowledge on this topic comes from reading threads in this forum and it was remiss of me not to acknowledge the efforts of the community in sharing their knowledge, enabling me to assemble this guide.
Thank you all,

S!
Tully

But if you always use the same icon settings there is an easy method that means you don't need to enter the command/s every time you load a mission.

First you create a new file in your IL2 directory called icons.rcu (create it in notepad and ensure it doesn't end up with a .txt suffix) and enter your mp_dotrange commands inside. Here is an example:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">mp_dotrange FRIENDLY DOT 15.000 COLOR 0.005 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 6.000 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
mp_dotrange FOE DOT 15.000 COLOR 0.500 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 6.000 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
timeout 60000 file icons.rcu</pre>

The last line makes the file reload roughly every 60 seconds.

Then you add this line to the end of your rcu file:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">@file icons.rcu</pre>

So now every time you start a mission your preferred icon settings are applied automatically.

Extreme_One
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
So most people know about adding your icon settings as an alias in the rcu file .... No?

Here's a guide (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=76)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is also a way to shortcut these longwinded versions of the mp_dotrange command. In your IL2 directory there a file called rcu. Note that this file has no extension, and after modifying it you need to ensure that notepad hasn't been too helpful and added a .txt extension to it. In this file you can set aliases for long commands you use frequently. An alias is a shorthand version of the command. The default version of the rcu file contains the following text.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 100

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show</pre>

I don't know what the first line does. I think the second tells the IL2 console to echo the contents of the chat window. The 3rd activates aliases. The forth tells IL2 how many lines of chat to remember in the game chatlog.

The line @alias a alias sets "a" as a shorthand for "alias". The two following lines use the alias "a" to set "h" as an alias for "history" and "s" as an alias for "show".
If you add the following lines to your rcu. file, you will be able to apply any of the above icon settings with a 3 or 4 character command instead of typing the whole schemozzle quoted above each time you start a game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3</pre>

With these lines in your rcu. file typing "&gt;tul" in the chat window will activate my version of the icon settings. Typing "&gt;v2ff" will activate the second set of settings mentioned.
Typing "&gt;v1fr" will activate the friendly icon settings in the first scheme, and "&gt;v1fo" will activate the foe settings in the first scheme.

Credit to IJ of JG11 for developing the first scheme & vol_lizking for the second.

I hope this helps those of you who may be thinking of experimenting with custom icons.

I wish to thank all of those who have posted on this topic in the past. Most of my knowledge on this topic comes from reading threads in this forum and it was remiss of me not to acknowledge the efforts of the community in sharing their knowledge, enabling me to assemble this guide.
Thank you all,

S!
Tully </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if you always use the same icon settings there is an easy method that means you don't need to enter the command/s every time you load a mission.

First you create a new file in your IL2 directory called icons.rcu (create it in notepad and ensure it doesn't end up with a .txt suffix) and enter your mp_dotrange commands inside. Here is an example:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">mp_dotrange FRIENDLY DOT 15.000 COLOR 0.005 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 6.000 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
mp_dotrange FOE DOT 15.000 COLOR 0.500 RANGE 0.005 TYPE 6.000 ID 0.005 NAME 0.005
timeout 60000 file icons.rcu</pre>

The last line makes the file reload roughly every 60 seconds.

Then you add this line to the end of your rcu file:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">@file icons.rcu</pre>

So now every time you start a mission your preferred icon settings are applied automatically.

thefruitbat
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
cool, i knew about editing the rcu file to use shortcuts in the console, but not about making your own file to load evry time, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

fruitbat

PS check pm's

Bearcat99
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey Simon do you remember the Sturmovik Script Pak site from back in the day? Do you have that stuff?

Extreme_One
10-21-2009, 12:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Hey Simon do you remember the Sturmovik Script Pak site from back in the day? Do you have that stuff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I'm afraid I needed to reinstall FB when I built my new PC so I lost a load of the good old stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

wheelsup_cavu
10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I looked it up on the Internet Archive.
It looked neat but none of the links work. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wheels