PDA

View Full Version : Finally got PF added on with FB/AEP...

SabreF-86
03-10-2005, 11:48 PM
and had several interesting experiences.

First, I tried the P-40B. Taking off from a grass strip sucks. Bouncy bouncy tilt crash. Whats the trick on that??? She starts rocking side to side, until a wingtip digs in and she ground loops. Never did get off the ground.

Second, Carrier landings are amusing, especially if you forget the **** hook. The vision of the barrel of that rear gun turret on Lex coming thru the windscreen is something you aren't likely to forget for a while. Once I remembered to put the hook down, this is easier than landing on dirt (IMHO)

Third, screwing up your takeoff and going into the drink also sucks. Especially if you end up swimming beside the sinking wreck and then pan round just in time to see USS Lexington about to run your sorry butt over. (got a nice track of that!)

Anyway, a bit more practice and I'll be ready for on line.

Sabre

LEXX_Luthor
03-11-2005, 12:16 AM
While your engine warms up, trim elevator DOWN , alot, and wait a bit. It seems like the nose wanting to come up makes the plane start rolling wing during takeoff before the tail lifts off the ground. Dunno, but trimming down first gives me a much more smooth takeoff. Once your tail is lifted up, the roll tendency seems to vanish. I map elevator trim to mouse wheel and I give the wheel a few turns, probably equivalent to...mmm...alot of keyboard trim clicks.

I discovered this method with F2A takeoff from Static Test Runway. This is even worse than P~40B, but trimming down first and I am "okay." Go easy on the rudder, some rudder for correction but not too hard. I just tried your P~40B on the Fighter~1 grass strip on the "Guadacanal" map, taking off facing the ocean, takeoff flaps down, trim down and wait a bit, and off I go.

Also, don't hold the joystick back on these 2 planes during early takeoff. I was doing that without realizing it and it seemed to make things worse until I realized what I was doing. Hold the joystick neutral or forward, but Hope this all helps.

SabreF-86
03-11-2005, 12:39 AM
That makes sense, trying to get the tail up asap. I also like your idea of mapping the trim to the mouse wheel. I have on, and wonder why I never even thought about it. Just to confirm, elevator trim negative means nose down right? Sometimes it seems to be opposite in game. Anyway, I'm going to map that first thing. Great idea.thanks

Sabre

JunkoIfurita
03-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Also a good idea to get your engine up to 100% revs with the brakes on before you start your take-off run. Particularly with the P-40 (all models) it helps you get your tail up FAST. Just be careful with how far you trim...or you might end up with your nose down. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

----

victor51
03-11-2005, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SabreF-86:
Second, Carrier landings are amusing, especially if you forget the **** hook.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had my "wing fold" button mapped next to my tail-hook.Beautiful mission, making my final approach, ... Wait ... Wtf... nice track.

LEXX_Luthor
03-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Ya, elevator trim "down" is you push the top of the mouse wheel away from you...if it works opposite, change your assignment to the other Z axis...plus or minus I forgot.

Yes, and watch engine guages after you power up and let them stabilize before releacing brakes (or chocks).