PDA

View Full Version : arado's persicope!

Haigotron
05-03-2006, 08:21 PM
well,

i see that the periscope will be present on the arado! according to the screenshot on the rrg site(used for shallow dive bombings)

now the question is, will a quick press of the shift + F1 allow the pilot to see with it? is this programmable into the game?

Tooz_69GIAP
05-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I'd take a guess that it may be similar to how they have done the Pe-2, where hitting the key to move to the next station takes you into the bombsite, and the shift+F1 toggles the gunsight. That would make sense with two different types of bombsite in the aircraft, I think.

Haigotron
05-03-2006, 10:00 PM
agreed!

but do you know if it had a seperate bombardier? I know it was pretty advanced at its time, with a sort of guided rocket system it had...

any chance of having a missile as such?

I_JG78_Max
05-04-2006, 02:19 AM
The Ar 234 was a single seater. My guess is that the Periscope will we used with Shift + F1 because it was not only used during dive bombing, but used as gunsight for the fixed 20mm guns in the rear too.

From what i know, the Ar 234 had a rather conventional bombload, so i would be suprised to see a guided missle or something like that. It used rocketpads to take off from shorter tracks. It would be nice to see that modelled, since you already have it in the game with the Me 321 glider "Gigant".

Gruß,

I/JG78_Max

Tooz_69GIAP
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
The B-2 generally didn't have the 20mm cannons in the rear. They were only fitted to one or two aircraft, and found not to work that well as a defensive measure.

And max bombload was 1,500kg carried externally, I believe. It's best defence was it's speed. Almost nothing could catch it in flight. I think only the Me-262 could outpace it. The only problem was the lack of high grade fuels, etc, causing damage to engines, etc. As with the 262, the engines had to be replaced after around 10 hours of use, I believe.

csThor
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
That has nothing to do with fuel quality, Tooz. German Jet engines were designed with low-quality fuel (designation J2, closer to diesel than to high-octane aviation fuel) in mind. What caused the problems was the low quality of the raw material used for key parts (such as the blades of the compressor fan [??]- a real problem of the Jumo 004b). It was simply the lack of necessary high-quality metal that made german jet engines unreliable.

Hongweibing
05-04-2006, 10:43 AM
The Ar-234 actually had an advanced bombsight system (Lofte K7) for high alt bombing that took over the pilot's task. The pilot would physically get the control column out of the way to look through the bombsight!
No guided missiles or bomb, just a 'guided' plane flown automatically through the bombsight.
As long as the target was maintained in the bombsight, the plane would fly itself to the target, change heading if required, adjust speed and release at the right time.

Not sure if this can be modelled in the sim.

cheers

StG2_Schlachter
05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Maybe Haigotron is referring to the Ruhrstahl X-4 guided missile.

But the X-4 was not used on single seater airplanes, since it was to complicated to direct the missile and fly the aircraft at the same time.

p1ngu666
05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
thats pretty much what we have now, just we do it manualy...

csthor is right, the metals they had couldnt stand the heat/pressure etc in the engine for long. the engine is a very simple design, ive seen a couple irl http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Waldo.Pepper
05-04-2006, 12:19 PM
The X4 should/may make an appearance on the Ta-183.

Heliopause
05-04-2006, 03:13 PM
The periscope came to life in order to give the pilot a look at his 6 o'clock position. Later a few Arado's received 20mm canon aimed by means of the periscope. The periscope originally came from a Panzer. It could be switched to look forward, handy when dive bombing.
When the Jumo 004 jet engine went into production ( beginning of 1944 )it's service life was about 10 flight-ours. In may 1945 the jet engines had a life of about 25 flight ours.

Haigotron
05-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Maybe Haigotron is referring to the Ruhrstahl X-4 guided missile.

But the X-4 was not used on single seater airplanes, since it was to complicated to direct the missile and fly the aircraft at the same time.

my mistake, i was reading this book, and it was the He 177 Greif that had a sort of guided missile that it could fire and guide 10 -15 km away....no such thing on the ar tho...sorry

luftluuver
05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Heliopause:
The periscope came to life in order to give the pilot a look at his 6 o'clock position. Later a few Arado's received 20mm canon aimed by means of the periscope. The 20mm cannons were fixed so the only time they could be 'aimed' is if the attacking a/c was at the direct 6 o'clock.

The Monogram-Monarch book on the 234 gives instructions for using the bombsight as well as using the periscope for shallow dive bombing.

Tooz_69GIAP
05-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by csThor:
That has nothing to do with fuel quality, Tooz. German Jet engines were designed with low-quality fuel (designation J2, closer to diesel than to high-octane aviation fuel) in mind. What caused the problems was the low quality of the raw material used for key parts (such as the blades of the compressor fan [??]- a real problem of the Jumo 004b). It was simply the lack of necessary high-quality metal that made german jet engines unreliable.

I stand corrected. Now that my mind is jogged a little, yes, it was a lack of raw materials required for making the high quality alloys that could withstand the kind of temperatures created by the engines. I believe the only place the Germans were really able to obtain the ores was from Sweden (?) so their options were limited, especially as the allies closed in around the Reich.

Mind you, I'm lucky if I get 10 minutes flight time out of a jet, let alone 10 hours! They have a nasty habit of blowing up on me!!!