PDA

View Full Version : EB pulled SH 3

rppmap
07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Does anybody know why Electronics Boutique has removed all copies of SH 3 from it stores. The clerks there had no idea. They said it was recalled.

U-49
07-19-2005, 10:21 AM
No idea, but here in Canada it's not available at Best Buy or Future Shop, either.

jpr21b
07-19-2005, 10:37 AM
I've worked in retail for years, and what usually happens during recalls is not for "defective" goods, but sometimes its for advertising problems on the box (misleading, false, maybe something not saying enough), company name change, etc...

It would be interesting to figure out though exactly why it was recalled, especially if it had to do with legallity.

elaphe
07-19-2005, 10:52 AM
I remember reading that EB was bought out by Gamespot. Perhaps that has something to do with it, as GameSpot (here in NYC) seems to deal almost exclusevely in console game and VERY popular PC games (halflife 2, DOOM3, ect.).

I bought my copy of SHIII in BestBuy not long ago

altstiff
07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Welp, my EB here in Toronto has two copies sitting on the shelf as we speak.

(Shopper's World Danforth, it's a shopper's world, yes it is...)

Stuntcow
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Could not find it on the EBgames website either. So its not just pulled from stores.

AVGWarhawk
07-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Perhaps it has to do with the nasty little StarForce warning lurking on the DVD that they decided the only writing about it was on the back cover in the lower corner no bigger then a pinhead. DOH! I would guess they are buying DVD for those that got burned (no pun intended) after the game was installed. Tsk,tsk, even a pack of cigarettes has ledgible warning label.

jpr21b
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
yes, i thought maybe it could be because of starforce also, however, it would have to be pulled form the store shelves everywhere, not just at EB.

If anyone can confirm it is being pulled from all other stores, then it is most definately a legal issue.

If its not, then it is probably something to do with EB's store heads, i.e. going out of business or something.

MikeJW
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
EB has pulled a lot of PC games lately. My guess is in a couple of months they'll be console only. Oh well, CompUSA is a better at stocking PC games than my local EB anyway.

altstiff
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Like I said I was by an EB today and they had two copy's sitting on the shelf.

The way I see it, it has not been "pulled" as some seem to think it has.

A guy comes in here with one post and this is it. Sours grapes me thinks, and I also think we have all been had.......

Ghostly_Magicia
07-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Hmm, EB up to its old tricks again ? Playing games with the gamers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

fathergod
07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Gamestop sucks. I went to the store in the mall like I usually do and only found 10 PC games! I asked what was up and they said Gamestop is getting out of the PC world because with consoles everyone has the same specs, everyone can play the same game and not have to worry about memory or cpu etc

fizilbert
07-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Here's a novel idea, go to the EB website and email someone in the company and ask them. You should be able to get an "official" answer to whether the game has been pulled and why it has been pulled. Get it straight from the horse's mouth.

GT182
07-19-2005, 06:23 PM
It's a known fact that EB has been getting away from PC games in the last 3 years. The store here has/had only one 2 foot section of shelving, 4 shelves high for them. The rest is all for console games.

I was in the store yesterday and it looked kinda strange like the were getting ready to close the doors. New manager and only one other employee on the floor. A friend that worked there quit last month and went to work at Sears, in the same Mall. I asked what happened and he said, "everyone quit the same day, EB was the pits to work for. Best thing they ever did was quit."

I'll ask my stepdaughter in West Chester Pa. to see if the headquarters is still there and under EB's name.

BTW, EB never had SHIII on the shelf here. I got my copy from Wal-Mart across the street.

przemian1973
07-19-2005, 06:32 PM
And I remember times when I could spend 2 hours in EB talking about the latest multiplayer games in Rainbow Six series or latest feats in Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies or other games that require more brains than any console can ever handle... *tsk* *tsk*... Not to put consoles down, but I swear PC games just feel more demanding (intelect and pc spec wise) and at same time rewarding. At least I got my SH3 copy.

jpr21b
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
well , if you think about it, everyone who wanted to by SH3 pretty much has it already.

I think the sim community is one of the most dedicated, and unfortunately, smallest groups of "gamers" out there.

there really are sadly not enough people out there who want to do math algorithms to kill an enemy. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

AVGWarhawk
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Looks like Ms. Pacman for me on the old sony playstation, well because, everyone else has it. Gee I want to be like everyone else. Blah blah blah. Please, Lord, help us retain highly technical games that require a IQ larger then 60 to be successful. Look at the brightside, SH3 will be a antique that is highly sought after. Ebay here I come.

U-268
07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
EB here in Australia still has SH3 on the shelves. In fact most Computer game retailers are stocking it unless sold out , there are no recalls here. All so isnt it a little late for a recall ,the game has been out for 5 months.

U-49
07-19-2005, 08:27 PM
posted by GT182:It's a known fact that EB has been getting away from PC games in the last 3 years. I don't think it's so much EB Games getting away from PC titles, as much as it is developers and publishers focusing their valuable resources on what is most popular amoungst the majority of gamers, and ultimately most profitable for them: console titles.

EB Games merely reflect this steady trend.

stinkhammer6
07-19-2005, 08:36 PM
I got mine at best buy in down town cleveland, I seen it first at an office max but was a few bucks shy of the final price. I went back and got it at best buy and later was in an EB around the corner, out of curiousity I asked if there was ever made a tactical guide, like doom 3 has etc. They said no and they couldnt order PC games. I asked if they had it and they said no, we get what we are sent. A week later I go in there out of boredom and there was a copy of SH3 right there. They originally told me it wasnt even in their master inventory on their systems computer. And even if they could order games they couldnt get that game for me. Then how did it show up on their shelves DUHHH? But hey, when all else fails, COMPUSA and amazon.com is where you can get games from.

Sgt_Starbuck
07-19-2005, 08:51 PM
It's on Best Buy's and Walmarts website. God help me I work at Best Buy right now. ARGHHH!!!!

Sarge

HeibgesU999
07-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Per unit, a PC game is 3x more profitable than a console game. From a salesman's perspective this seems like a no brainer.

stinkhammer6
07-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the genius world of marketing, makes you wonder how those morons keep their jobs.

fizilbert
07-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Dont forget, EB deals in "used" products as well. There's a chance that the copy of SH3 that you saw on their shelf may have been a copy someone brought to them and sold them as a used game.

I got my copy of SH3 from an EB store a few days after the release of the game. I asked them if they had any more, and they said I had picked up the one and only copy of the game that they got shipped. You believe that? They only ordered 1 copy!

Anyway, I'm starting to think amazon.com is now the way for me to go when buying games.

WhiteKnight77
07-20-2005, 10:35 AM
I would think if it were a Starforce issue, EB would also not sell Splitner Cell: Chaos Theory if they were sent any copies to begin with.

I have started using GoGamer.com to buy games. I picked up SHIII for like $29 less the $1.99 S&H. I saved about $10 from the price of it. If you can catch a particular game on 48 Hour Madness, you could save a few bills.

captsteubie
08-02-2005, 02:43 AM
I bought both SH3 and Pacific Fighters from Amazon.com at the same time in some package deal as I remember. My local EB games in the mall did not have either in stock. I have hardly played Pacific Fighters because I opened SH3 first. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Vindaloo24
08-02-2005, 05:28 AM
Sadly, almost every worker I talked to said the reason there isn't any copy of Silent Hunter 3 coming in is because it was "not popular". Thats what he said, but he said he can always order the game anytime. My 2 cent of course.

Faamecanic
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by AVGWarhawk:
Looks like Ms. Pacman for me on the old sony playstation, well because, everyone else has it. Gee I want to be like everyone else. Blah blah blah. Please, Lord, help us retain highly technical games that require a IQ larger then 60 to be successful. Look at the brightside, SH3 will be a antique that is highly sought after. Ebay here I come.

If you live in USA all you have to do is watch what that ***** of a channel G4 did to TechTv.... I can watch 30 min of G4 before all the kiddie console Bull feeces makes me puke.

At least G4 in Canada still has Leo Laporte in Call for Help...

Faamecanic
08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by U-49:
I don't think it's so much EB Games getting away from PC titles, as much as it is developers and publishers focusing their valuable resources on what is most popular amoungst the majority of gamers, and ultimately most profitable for them: console titles.

Ahem.... *cough* Ubisoft and Ghost Recon2 Abortion *cough*

What...did someone say something?? Not me...

GT182
08-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I just got word today that EB games head office is still in W. Chester, Pa. Quiet aroung there but still there under that name none the less.

Sgt_Starbuck, at least you guys know what your talking about when it comes to pc hardware. 3 guys at at BestBuy in Wilmington, Del helped me out on my Asus P4P 800-E Deluxe motherboard and the type of HDD to use with it. SATA only. Plus they were gamers too BTW. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif The only thing that makes me mad is BestBuy, Circuit City, and even Wal-Mart sell proprietarty computers that are not gamer friendly.

HeibgesU999, I think you mean the opposite of what you said. Console games are more profitable than PC games. That's the big reason EB only carries few pc games nowdays. Plus they no longer carry joysticks and the other hardware that they used to. Same goes for Wal-Mart too.

WhiteKnight77
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Faamecanic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by U-49:
I don't think it's so much EB Games getting away from PC titles, as much as it is developers and publishers focusing their valuable resources on what is most popular amoungst the majority of gamers, and ultimately most profitable for them: console titles.

Ahem.... *cough* Ubisoft and Ghost Recon2 Abortion *cough*

What...did someone say something?? Not me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we really want to go there? I prefer not to get a thread locked with my rants of it. If you knew what I knew, you would be really po'ed.

Faamecanic
08-03-2005, 05:48 AM
White Knight...

I (and my clan) were HUGE Ghost Recon fans..and very disappointed.

PM me (if you can) with the juicy details as we are all curious as to what happened.

Thanks m8..