PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not a fan of AC Revelations

mgmartinec
12-11-2011, 02:01 AM
AC has been one of my favorite series. After playing the first game, I've bought every game since on the day of release. Revelations created a more solid multiplayer experience. However Revelations still seems like a total let down. I guess its just me, but i dont see how any real AC fan could enjoy the single player. The story is not bad at all, but the game mechanics are were this game falls short to me.

The hookblade:
Has some cool new moves, but the weapon doesnt make any sense whatsoever. You cant effectively stab someone with a hunk of metal that has no sharp edge. The hook enables you to climb way to fast, throwing yourself more than a story at a time into the air. It doesnt even look cool.

Tower Defence:
No... Just No. Not even close.

Impossible to counter long weapons?
I dont understand what would motivate ubisoft to take out the ability to counter a long weapon, not even with another long weapon. It seems to me like they just forgot to add it in.

Running tackle move replaced:
Try tackling an enemy like you would in AC Brotherhood and you'll get this terrible animation of Ezio sweeping a guard off his feet with the hook. An animation that wasnt even meant to be used on a moving target, but ubisoft put in on anyways.

No training Simulations:
Anyone who played Ac Brotherhood probably loved going into the training simulations and trying to kill as many guards as they could without taking damage. You wanna try doing this in revelations? Well too bad, they must have forgot to put in in.

Bomb Crafting:
Doesnt really interest me at all although I know I dont speak for everyone. All i need is a smoke bomb every once in a while. Bombs arent really necessary in any situation.

Desmond's Journey?
Am i missing something here? Or do these missions soley consist of walking on a bridge of boxes that poof into thin air in front of you? I get how they want to tell his story and all, but how does this gameplay have anything to do with AC? I played to the third one and lost interest. I'd probably go back and find the one feather i missed in AC II before completing these chores.

Money:
I find it much harder to accumulate enough money to buy landmarks and historical buildings. Even after buying almost all merchants i only get like 7000 every 20 min.

Side Missions:
WTF no assassination side missions? I thought this was assassins creed. Barely ANY side missions for that matter.

Mission replay Armour change:
This actually happened in Brotherhood as well and i thought they would have fixed it by now. Whenever you go back to earlier in the game to get 100% synch, it can only throw on the best armor and weapons in the game instead of your own preference. This especially bothers me because i think the gold armour looks very lame. The funny part is that i never actually purchased it, and yet im forced to wear it for DNA replays.

No Horses?
Another thing ubisoft just forgot to put in the game i guess.

Long range attacks in Link moves:
Probably the coolest move you could do in Brotherhood, incorporating throwing knives and the pistol into you link kills. I cant tell if they took this out entirely or it's just much more difficult due to the difficult enemies.

Fight Club Missions:
Even if you dont take a single hit, you still have only ten seconds to K.O. an enemy before you lose. Next round is another enemy and another ten seconds. Incredibly difficult and even more agrivating than tower defence. Who thought this concept was fun to begin with?

Slower Swimming:
Not really a big issue, but you cant swim fast anymore. I cant see why they took this out.

Much shorter Game:
I used to think that buying a AC game would promise at least a week of no life-ing it up. I finshed this game's missions in like 3 days.

If you love this game than please keep enjoying it. Im just saying how i feel about it.

ProdiGurl
12-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by mgmartinec:
AC has been one of my favorite series. After playing the first game, I've bought every game since on the day of release. Revelations created a more solid multiplayer experience. However Revelations still seems like a total let down. I guess its just me, but i dont see how any real AC fan could enjoy the single player.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Well to each their own but it's Bcuz of alot of things they did that it's very easy to enjoy.
After playing all 3, I personally find that each game has its own charm and uniqueness that I like. The less restrictive missions (and actually more FUN missions), new Recruit system/dens, weapon additions along with the great characters, humor & soundtrack in ACR will have me replaying it often.
</span>

The story is not bad at all, but the game mechanics are were this game falls short to me.

The hookblade:
Has some cool new moves, but the weapon doesnt make any sense whatsoever. You cant effectively stab someone with a hunk of metal that has no sharp edge. The hook enables you to climb way to fast, throwing yourself more than a story at a time into the air. It doesnt even look cool.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I don't care about all the technicalities of the weapon, I care about how it works in my gameplay. My controller fingers were literally sore from all the climbing and reclimbing in previous games. I don't want to spend my entire time being a monkey, trying to get around. I appreciated this element very much - esp. when you consider an older Ezio . . . how many complaints would we hear if he was older AND slow? This tool helped alleviate that issue imo. </span>

Tower Defence:
No... Just No. Not even close.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">A good concept, but I'm not a fan of the delivery of it. </span>

Running tackle move replaced:
Try tackling an enemy like you would in AC Brotherhood and you'll get this terrible animation of Ezio sweeping a guard off his feet with the hook. An animation that wasnt even meant to be used on a moving target, but ubisoft put in on anyways.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">You considered that a terrible animation? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I LOVED watching that.
Plus it was a nice change of pace. (they DO have to change things in AC from one game to the next or else people will complain that it's just a repeat.)</span>

No training Simulations:
Anyone who played Ac Brotherhood probably loved going into the training simulations and trying to kill as many guards as they could without taking damage. You wanna try doing this in revelations? Well too bad, they must have forgot to put in in.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I loved the Training sim too, but it is a little redundant to put it into EVERY AC game - esp. if we're essentially using the same weaponry & system.
Feel free to put ACB back in and train there, that's what I'm doing right now. We really didn't need it again as nice as it was.

It almost sounds as if you wanted a carbon copy of ACII & ACB?
</span>

Bomb Crafting:
Doesnt really interest me at all although I know I dont speak for everyone. All i need is a smoke bomb every once in a while. Bombs arent really necessary in any situation.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I felt this way about them at first too, but the more I started using them, the more I liked them.
In fact, in Brotherhood right now, I stood on a roof WISHING I had a few of my diversion bombs.
I love those things now. It just needed tweaking (like most new additions to games do). </span>

Desmond's Journey?
Am i missing something here? Or do these missions soley consist of walking on a bridge of boxes that poof into thin air in front of you? I get how they want to tell his story and all, but how does this gameplay have anything to do with AC? I played to the third one and lost interest. I'd probably go back and find the one feather i missed in AC II before completing these chores.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Desmond hasn't been my main interest in AC at all so I didn't do any of his missions yet. </span>

Money:
I find it much harder to accumulate enough money to buy landmarks and historical buildings. Even after buying almost all merchants i only get like 7000 every 20 min.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I didn't have this problem at all, in fact, I always end up with too much $$ & nothing to spend it on. But each time you buy a new bldg, it's supposed to increase your income.
Maybe you should try to spend more time doing other missions or finding treasure chests so you accumulate more $ from the bank to buy those things? </span>

Side Missions:
WTF no assassination side missions? I thought this was assassins creed. Barely ANY side missions for that matter.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Yep there were less side jobs - but if you did the Faction missions, & their challenges boards, the Piri Ries events plus the 6 Master Assassin missions, that should keep you pretty well busy for awhile. But yes it was a bit shorter that way.</span>

No Horses?
Another thing ubisoft just forgot to put in the game i guess.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I love the horses too, however, a horse in this Map is useless imo. The streets are narrower and more crowded with people -
it was more efficient in ACB bcuz there was more wide-open landscape with areas more widely spaced apart that took time to get to on foot. That isn't the case in ACR. They really wouldn't be used much unless you like trampling people</span>

Long range attacks in Link moves:
Probably the coolest move you could do in Brotherhood, incorporating throwing knives and the pistol into you link kills. I cant tell if they took this out entirely or it's just much more difficult due to the difficult enemies.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I'm a big fan of the aesthetics of a Kill Streak. It's just downright beautiful, sexy and fun to do.
They didn't take it out entirely, he just uses less of the secondary weapons in a kill streak this time from what I could see. But he did throw them. It wasn't as pronounced in ACR as ACB. </span>

Fight Club Missions:
Even if you dont take a single hit, you still have only ten seconds to K.O. an enemy before you lose. Next round is another enemy and another ten seconds. Incredibly difficult and even more agrivating than tower defence. Who thought this concept was fun to begin with?

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I never did one so I can't speak to that. Another thing to try. </span>

Slower Swimming:
Not really a big issue, but you cant swim fast anymore. I cant see why they took this out.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">It would only be an issue to me if we had missions with alot of swimming or a swimming challenge. I so rarely swam (other than some escaping), that it's a total non issue.</span>

Much shorter Game:
I used to think that buying a AC game would promise at least a week of no life-ing it up. I finshed this game's missions in like 3 days.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I initially played this for I think 10 days - I take alot of time to enjoy AC & repeat parts to absorb the story line that I missed - plus my skill level is medium/normal, so it takes me time to get 100% syncs - plus in some missions I seem to find the longer way to do things.
Later on I see walkthru vids that just breezed in & went a different route that took 1/2 the time & effort. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif But it's all fun. </span>

If you love this game than please keep enjoying it. Im just saying how i feel about it.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks, I will http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
Maybe AC3 will be more of what you want. </span>

eagleforlife1
12-11-2011, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I appreciated this element very much - esp. when you consider an older Ezio . . . how many complaints would we hear if he was older AND slow? This tool helped alleviate that issue imo.

Personally, I would have much preferred this.

ProdiGurl
12-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
I appreciated this element very much - esp. when you consider an older Ezio . . . how many complaints would we hear if he was older AND slow? This tool helped alleviate that issue imo.

Personally, I would have much preferred this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A slow older Ezio that takes alot of time climbing? It's one thing in AC that actually annoys me the longer I play the previous games.

I don't mind it at first when I start, but . . it really gets repetitive and tedious the longer the game continues.
And esp. when being chased in a city, trying to get up onto buildings, he takes awhile & they shoot him & he's back on the ground again.
Frustrating.

Assassin_M
12-11-2011, 06:23 AM
How come no one ever made a "Why I love ACR" Thread ?
I guess people just expect too much..
Im off to create the "Why Im the biggest fan of ACR" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

ProdiGurl
12-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Im off to create the "Why Im the biggest fan of ACR" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Please do http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Ya I felt the same way - I'm fine with people having their opinions, we all have our likes & dislikes but you keep seeing mostly all the negatives... but for what they put out & did in great changes, this is sad to me.

The ones I feel for are the people with bugs that affect their game & make it unplayable or unenjoyable till they get a patch & I read that one's been released.

I've had none & I'm ecstatic with ACR - I don't get it.
Alot of it is stuff that you can just not use or bypass, it's nothing to criticize.

BK-110
12-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Hookblade:
There is a blade within the hookblade. Just think of it as the hook part sliding back, revealing the blade when thrust into the enemy. And I like how climbing looks with the hookblade. It has a great flow to it and it works well.

Den Defense:
I don't think that it's bad, but i personally suck at it.

Countering long weapons:
I don't find that bad. They gave them a unique strength. You can still simply disarm them and I think you can still counter them with the hidden blades.

Running tackle move:
I quite like the new animation...

Training simulations:
I did miss those, as well.

Bombs:
Sure, they aren't necessary. You can say that about a lot of things in the game. It just gives you another way to do things. I personally love using cherry bombs to lure guards.

Desmond's Journey:
I liked those a lot. They had an interesting, mysterious atmosphere and it was a great, surreal way to tell the story. I would probably have preferred some more Assassin's Creed-like gameplay, though this puzzle gameplay wasn't bad, either.

Money:
Hey, people kept complaining that we had too much of it. I would have preferred having a lot, since I don't want to spend too much time on collecting money, but whatever, it's far from game-breaking.

Side missions:
It feels like there are so few because they're much more integrated into the actual story. I did miss faction missions, though.

Mission replay armor change:
It doesn't change the armor in replays in my case. I used the glitch to remove all armor and from what I've replayed it doesn't give me any armor.

Horses:
Horses wouldn't work very well in the game, honestly. Just about all areas in the game are much too dense.

Long range weapons in kill streaks:
I'm pretty sure that still works, though it's probably a bit harder to pull off, due to the slightly more difficult enemies.

Fight club:
Yeah, that sucks in my opinion, as well...

Slower swimming:
I haven't noticed...

Shorter game:
It didn't really feel shorter than Brotherhood, to me.

I certainly love it and I'll keep enjoying it.

joker_jay81
12-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Here's my take on Assassin's Creed Revelations. Being my first ever AC title, I thought the graphics and overall story are good. However, this does very little to make up for the absolutely frustrating control system.

I have come to absolutely DETEST the control system. It's like you can't do ANYTHING! I'm stuck on a mission called "loose lips" and basically you hire some theives to lure guards or the snitch away from the bribes in the chest before killing him...I think that's how it goes. Problem is, and this is one of MANY, I can hire the thieves but they won't lure the target(s) away. The prompts to do this only result in Ezio either commanding them to follow or stay, and then the fight breaks out causing the mission to fail. Because of this and numerous other issues, I will never ever ever ever buy this game or play it again, as much as I would like to because to me, the control system and lack of hints/tips/help (whichever) make this game UNPLAYABLE.

kriegerdesgottes
12-11-2011, 12:18 PM

I don't even think people expect too much but when Ubisoft creats ACI and then ACII and then decides because it wants to make games annually that from now on games are going to be shorter, recycled, rushed, full of glitches, 1 city instead of 4, but then say oh well we are going to balance it out because now it has MP!(which many didn't want in the first place) then yea people become unhappy.

The problem here is that Ubisoft has gone from Revolutionary(AC1) to amazing!(ACII) to better than average (ACB) and then to good (ACR). This is the problem. We only expect that when you make two insanely awesome games to keep making them awesome and not backtrack and ask your consumers to please expect less of your product because you won't have the same development time oh but please continue paying full retail price for it.

Dagio12
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM

DO IT!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

seriously tho, the reason you see more negative feedback than positive is because people that buy a product and are not satisfied are more prone to want to speak out, whereas people that really enjoy the game are well..... playing the game.. and enjoying it. When you order food at a restaurant and you get what you want, hot and fresh, you eat it. You dont usually run up to the managers and cooks and tell everyone great job, keep it up. However, if you get your food and its cold and crappy, you complain. Thats just the way it works. With that considered, you see a lot of negative complaints, but it probably barely scratches the surface compared to people that really enjoy it. At least, thats how I feel.

superstrak
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
one thing that bothers me is the people in acr, they are so aggresive, a bit too imo, just watch this video for example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNWAvkVN7M

eagleforlife1
12-11-2011, 12:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

A slow older Ezio that takes alot of time climbing? It's one thing in AC that actually annoys me the longer I play the previous games.

I don't mind it at first when I start, but . . it really gets repetitive and tedious the longer the game continues.
And esp. when being chased in a city, trying to get up onto buildings, he takes awhile & they shoot him & he's back on the ground again.
Frustrating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it's just a personal opinion. I'm a sucker for realism and the more realistic a game is the more I want to play it. It makes me feel more immersed.

monarcasmoreli
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Where's the love
Too much hate and b!tching

eagleforlife1
12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by monarcasmoreli:
Where's the love
Too much hate and b!tching

I agree I love the game as well. I'm just too lazy to create a thread.

BK-110
12-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by joker_jay81:
Here's my take on Assassin's Creed Revelations. Being my first ever AC title, I thought the graphics and overall story are good. However, this does very little to make up for the absolutely frustrating control system.

I have come to absolutely DETEST the control system. It's like you can't do ANYTHING! I'm stuck on a mission called "loose lips" and basically you hire some theives to lure guards or the snitch away from the bribes in the chest before killing him...I think that's how it goes. Problem is, and this is one of MANY, I can hire the thieves but they won't lure the target(s) away. The prompts to do this only result in Ezio either commanding them to follow or stay, and then the fight breaks out causing the mission to fail. Because of this and numerous other issues, I will never ever ever ever buy this game or play it again, as much as I would like to because to me, the control system and lack of hints/tips/help (whichever) make this game UNPLAYABLE.

Target an enemy in the group you want to lure and press the button, then wait for them to get down there and lure them away. It's easy... I really can't see what's wrong with the controls. They're great, I love them.

ProdiGurl
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

Yeah, it's just a personal opinion. I'm a sucker for realism and the more realistic a game is the more I want to play it. It makes me feel more immersed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm fine with realism, but when climbing is easily 2/3'rds of the game, it gets O L D.
Esp. if you fail or get desynch'd over & over . . it makes for more and more leaping & jumping.

It's fine at the beginning when you're first doing it, but in a long game, it just gets frustrating.

Dagio12
12-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by BK-110:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joker_jay81:

Target an enemy in the group you want to lure and press the button, then wait for them to get down there and lure them away. It's easy... I really can't see what's wrong with the controls. They're great, I love them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i can understand new players jumping into Revelations to be overwhelmed at the controls and how to operate the mechanics. After all, Revelations wasnt really meant for someone who is brand new to the franchise. I think we just find it easy because we are so familiar with the buttons, its like second nature for the most part. Just look at how much problem moving eagle vision from one button to another caused so much hate... lol. ( many are set in there ways.. haha)

ProdiGurl
12-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by SF2themax:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BK-110:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joker_jay81:

Target an enemy in the group you want to lure and press the button, then wait for them to get down there and lure them away. It's easy... I really can't see what's wrong with the controls. They're great, I love them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i can understand new players jumping into Revelations to be overwhelmed at the controls and how to operate the mechanics. After all, Revelations wasnt really meant for someone who is brand new to the franchise. I think we just find it easy because we are so familiar with the buttons, its like second nature for the most part. Just look at how much problem moving eagle vision from one button to another caused so much hate... lol. ( many are set in there ways.. haha) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL exactly. I came in on ACB as my first game and I'm amazed that I didn't bust my tv screen.

If new people are having issues w/ ACR, don't send them to ACB! LOL
AC is a learning curve - plus, it makes a difference if they're coming out of FPS too (like I was).

I came in wanting to slash everyone to death & was very irritated at so much stealth. A mission where I CAN'T kill anyone??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Lots of variables w/ different people. But ACR is alot easier for people new to the AC series, if they can't pick this up...........

eagleforlife1
12-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Yeah, it's just a personal opinion. I'm a sucker for realism and the more realistic a game is the more I want to play it. It makes me feel more immersed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm fine with realism, but when climbing is easily 2/3'rds of the game, it gets O L D.
Esp. if you fail or get desynch'd over & over . . it makes for more and more leaping & jumping.

It's fine at the beginning when you're first doing it, but in a long game, it just gets frustrating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't make a difference to me. I spend my time walking through the streets rather than sprinting across rooftops. The only times that I have used the hookblade is for 100% synch, guild challenges and accidentally.

Black_Widow9
12-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Please post your Feedback here-
AC Revelations: Singleplayer Game feedback. [Do Not Post Spoilers!] (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/3721023169)
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>