PDA

View Full Version : Best Plane!!!!

lukenaskywiper
04-28-2006, 09:32 AM

WOLFMondo
04-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately I'd like to say the Tempest but thats not true. The best single engined fighter in this sim is the FW190 Dora 9. Its got a big box of tricks to pull on any opponent.

Positives:
F4U C- Great at high altitude, tough, excellent firepower, good view.
J2M3 - manouverable, small target.
Tempest - great fire power, excellent low and medium altitude performance, great high speed manouverability, best forward, side and downward view there is. Its a whole heap of late war British fun!

Negatives
F4-U's - To slow at low altitude, allot of trim is needed. terrible rear view, large target.
J2M3 - Its japanese so it burns and falls apart at relativly low speeds.
Tempest - Overheats terribly, benefits to the real aircraft are not in this sim e.g. high cruise speeds, constant trim is needed on the rudder during a range of speed (also incorrect, trim was needed on a changed when power settings were altered), Hispano MkV isn't really as damaging as it should be, terrible rear view, extremely weak DM. J2M3 is probably tougher.

HotelBushranger
04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Word of advice. Don't fly the F4U-C for a loong time. Choose something which is harder to fly, i.e. early 1940/41 stuff, which has a less cannon orientated armament. Fly things like the La-7, 109K-4, Spit +25 and you'll never learn any of the manouvres, technqiues and understanding of energy which you will. May I suggest something like the Spitfire Mk Vb, P-40C or P-40E, Hurricane Mk2b (not C http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif), and mosquito or Ju-88 for twin engined. Beaufighters are late war aircraft, but can be put into earlier for their lack of defensive armament http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GR142_Astro
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
What are you talking about? If you try to DF at all with any Corsair, including the 1C, you'd better know what the heck you are doing. Much more of an experten plane than some of the ones you've mentioned here. Take up the 1C against any contemporaries and your flying better be flawless and your gunnery dead on mixed with a bit of luck as you watch your nose slew all over God's blue sky.

<Rant off>

lukenaskywiper
04-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks!!!

Sorry to say, GR142_Astro, but, as I didnt really understand your post.... Please could you repeat it? (im not english) thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

So... as a beginner in PF, (not in other flying games!!!) you recommend me to take.... which plane??? (I like well armored, and fast turning ones!!! like KI 84 IC) thanks

Fighterduck
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
but..uhm...was the tempest supposed to be a good plane? i mean..yes, the 4 20mm guns are awesome and for ground fighting it's really a good plane...but in dogfight i found it a little.."heavy"..not really fast not really manouvrable,..i dont know. Im not a dogfighter, i like to play bomber and ground attack planes (thats becaue i used the tempest) but when i tried it in the QMB i was a little bit disappointed with it.Meaby i was axpecting too much from it,also because on my book i read that i was capable to fight against Bf wihout "any" trouble.
Just a question...was it supposed to be superior to the Spitfire?

..same things for the Mosquito...heard lots of good thing about this plane..but i found it terrible to fly!And not so effective like the Beaufighter...meaby it's only me

VW-IceFire
04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Fighterduck:
but..uhm...was the tempest supposed to be a good plane? i mean..yes, the 4 20mm guns are awesome and for ground fighting it's really a good plane...but in dogfight i found it a little.."heavy"..not really fast not really manouvrable,..i dont know. Im not a dogfighter, i like to play bomber and ground attack planes (thats becaue i used the tempest) but when i tried it in the QMB i was a little bit disappointed with it.Meaby i was axpecting too much from it,also because on my book i read that i was capable to fight against Bf wihout "any" trouble.

..same things for the Mosquito...heard lots of good thing about this plane..but i found it terrible to fly!And not so effective like the Beaufighter...meaby it's only me
Several things are at work here. First is that the Tempest is a heavier plane so you need to wait for a bit longer for it to accelerate than with a Spitfire or 109. The Tempest is superior than virtually all of the late war 109s at lower altitudes much like the FW190D-9 is superior to most of the 109s at lower altitudes.

Secondly the Tempest we have is basically a mid-1944 variant with a Sabre IIA engine and running at +9lbs of boost. This was not the typical configuration...most of the V-1 chasers were running at +11lbs of boost. Most of the Tempests operating from December 1944 onwards were running at +11lbs of boost. This extra power from the engine (Sabre IIB) and the extra boost (+11lbs) makes the Tempest faster than virtually all but the Mustang Mark III at certain altitiudes. As it stands...the Tempest +9 is already a near match for the FW190D-9 at all altitudes which means that the Tempest is in an elite category of fast low altitude fighers that compare upto the Mustang III, FW190D-9, and La-7.

Part of the other tricky part is that engine management is complex. You need to modify your prop pitch to keep heat under control so you don't get to use the full potential nearly as easily as on a La-7 or D-9. I'm hoping this is somewhat fixed later on...its a little over the top unfortunately.

The Tempest is superior to the Spitfire IX in nearly all respects except for horizontal manuevering and high altitude ops. The Spitfire XIV and Tempest V are a near match with the Tempest being best under 15,000 feet and the Spitfire XIV being better above 20,000 feet.

The Mosquito is a 1942 version with weaker engines than the ones that really made the type famous so its no wonder it doesn't live upto hype.

With a Tempest online in most servers I can fight any opponent in any plane at an even or superior level. Its a superior fighter to most and if flown properly has incredible attack attributes (speed, firepower, visibility, roll and high speed manuever) that puts it into a very high category for fighters.

As for humble beginners starting out...all three are going to be difficult. The J2M3 is probably the most forgiving but I'd say its firepower is the worst of the three (the cannons have a lower muzzle velocity and fire rate) but its still excellent (they all have 4 20mm cannons).

The Corsair is not a forgiving fighter and its very similar in most ways to the Tempest. Not a plane you want to stall in and not a plane you want to engage in alot of turning with. The Tempest and Corsair are very closely matched...they have their quirks but they are probably the most similar. I have more fun in the Tempest personally so I fly that more but the Corsair is a great fighter. With practice...all three are great fighters that you can use to great effect. They are the type of fighter where superior skills will offset you very well against opponents flying what may be construed as better fighters.

jpatrick62
05-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I too, find the Tempest and Corsair to be similar planes. The Tempest is faster at lower alts, but the Corsair is the better turner. The Tempest has better firepower than the 1A Corsair, but the Corsair climbs better.

jolulure
05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
I would like to know which is your favourite plane and why... Ive been comparing all of them, and dont know which one to use!!!

THanks

Crash_Moses
05-01-2006, 01:05 PM
B-25 or SBD! Hands down...

S!

leitmotiv
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I voted for the Tempest not because I'm a Tempest buff but because it is the best fighter of the three listed. My personal favorite of the three is the J2M3 Raiden because it is a wild plane to fly against the American AAF and Navy aircraft. I learned the Maddox flight model by flying the I-153, the I-16, and the LaGG-3s. I found them a good batch of trainers because they were easy and hard all at once. When you think you will never get the hang of it, take up the benevolent, old TB-3!

VW-IceFire
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by jolulure:
I would like to know which is your favourite plane and why... Ive been comparing all of them, and dont know which one to use!!!

THanks
My favourite WWII planes of all time are the Tempest, Typhoon, Spitfire, Corsair, FW190 and Yak. I like them because I like their history...performance considerations aside they all have unique qualities and attributes and they are interesting to me. I find many more WWII fighters interesting as well but those are my top interests at the moment. As to which one is better...thats a hard sell.

The Tempest is my favourite and I can take it into most situations and feel happy in it. Its a beautiful fighter to look at in terms of its agressive profile, it has excellent forward and side visbility in the sim that is virtually unmatched, it has the second or third most powerful arrangement of guns in the game (four Mark V Hispanos can put out a terrifying amount of lead in a short time with devastating results and the weight of fire is matched only by 109s with 3 MK108s and the Me-262).

The Typhoon I enjoy because its the "British FW190". For its time it was big, heavy, powerful, and well armed...the predcessor to the Tempest. It was troublesome but it had character. The Spitfire because its simply a beautiful and well regarded airplane ...a genius of design.

The Corsair because of its unique profile, its high performance design, its troubled history (an interesting subject) and its wide range of use in all theaters.

The FW190 because it was fast, ahead of its time, because it was so easily adapted to different roles, and because it did so well. In game I grew to love the FW190 because of the firepower and the roll rate...and also because it was difficult to fly and not a fighter that everyone relished flying. I excelled under that difficulty and learned quite a bit about air combat tactics and technique.

Finally, I like the Yak series of fighters (1, 3, 7 and 9)...I grew to like them and they have become a favourite. The most well used and numerous Russian built fighter of WWII, the Yak's are everything that the others on my list are not. They were not exceptionally well crafted as fighters, they weren't the highest performing or the heaviest armed, but they were impressive in how robust they were at the front, how they could take cold temperatures and keep going, how they were put together using a combination of techniques that took into account the Soviet Unions lack of available resources and because the Yak's can be made into pretty good fighters with training. If you ever fly a Yak-1 against a Bf109E or F model you'll find a challenging fight against them but the Yak is a scrappy little fighter that you can force to work for you if you work at it.

What can I say....its down to perference. Fly the fighter because you like it, because it interests you, because it gives you something the others don't, and because you want to improve your skills. If you want simply the best fighter you won't find it and even if you do select one of the best, you may not be doing yourself any favours.

EiZ0N
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Just don't put rockets on your Tempest, they slow it down a heck of alot!

At least, that's how it seems to me.

Brain32
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Tempest - Overheats terribly, benefits to the real aircraft are not in this sim e.g. high cruise speeds, constant trim is needed on the rudder during a range of speed (also incorrect, trim was needed on a changed when power settings were altered), Hispano MkV isn't really as damaging as it should be, terrible rear view, extremely weak DM. J2M3 is probably tougher.
I agree with everything except one thing - DM. DM is one thing I'm really happy about, Tempest is really sturdy(and I say that after 500 missions on WC with it).
As for my favourite plane, yes it's definitely a Tempest, but I can't say I'm happy about it in game for reasons stated by WOLFMondo, actually I could live with most of this IF we would get 11lbs on a Sabre2b. MY other favourites are: FW190, BF109, P51, Yak9, F6F, P47, Ki61, P63, P38 aaaaand OK, OK, I actually like the Spitfire a lot just pi$$ed with it a bit http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Flying_Nutzo
05-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fighterduck:

Several things are at work here. First is that the Tempest is a heavier plane so you need to wait for a bit longer for it to accelerate than with a Spitfire or 109. The Tempest is superior than virtually all of the late war 109s at lower altitudes much like the FW190D-9 is superior to most of the 109s at lower altitudes.

Secondly the Tempest we have is basically a mid-1944 variant with a Sabre IIA engine and running at +9lbs of boost. This was not the typical configuration...most of the V-1 chasers were running at +11lbs of boost. Most of the Tempests operating from December 1944 onwards were running at +11lbs of boost. This extra power from the engine (Sabre IIB) and the extra boost (+11lbs) makes the Tempest faster than virtually all but the Mustang Mark III at certain altitiudes. As it stands...the Tempest +9 is already a near match for the FW190D-9 at all altitudes which means that the Tempest is in an elite category of fast low altitude fighers that compare upto the Mustang III, FW190D-9, and La-7.

Part of the other tricky part is that engine management is complex. You need to modify your prop pitch to keep heat under control so you don't get to use the full potential nearly as easily as on a La-7 or D-9. I'm hoping this is somewhat fixed later on...its a little over the top unfortunately.

The Tempest is superior to the Spitfire IX in nearly all respects except for horizontal manuevering and high altitude ops. The Spitfire XIV and Tempest V are a near match with the Tempest being best under 15,000 feet and the Spitfire XIV being better above 20,000 feet.

The Mosquito is a 1942 version with weaker engines than the ones that really made the type famous so its no wonder it doesn't live upto hype.

With a Tempest online in most servers I can fight any opponent in any plane at an even or superior level. Its a superior fighter to most and if flown properly has incredible attack attributes (speed, firepower, visibility, roll and high speed manuever) that puts it into a very high category for fighters.

As for humble beginners starting out...all three are going to be difficult. The J2M3 is probably the most forgiving but I'd say its firepower is the worst of the three (the cannons have a lower muzzle velocity and fire rate) but its still excellent (they all have 4 20mm cannons).

The Corsair is not a forgiving fighter and its very similar in most ways to the Tempest. Not a plane you want to stall in and not a plane you want to engage in alot of turning with. The Tempest and Corsair are very closely matched...they have their quirks but they are probably the most similar. I have more fun in the Tempest personally so I fly that more but the Corsair is a great fighter. With practice...all three are great fighters that you can use to great effect. They are the type of fighter where superior skills will offset you very well against opponents flying what may be construed as better fighters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice post. Very informative. Indicative of a great community here. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WOLFMondo
05-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Brain32:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tempest - Overheats terribly, benefits to the real aircraft are not in this sim e.g. high cruise speeds, constant trim is needed on the rudder during a range of speed (also incorrect, trim was needed on a changed when power settings were altered), Hispano MkV isn't really as damaging as it should be, terrible rear view, extremely weak DM. J2M3 is probably tougher.
I agree with everything except one thing - DM. DM is one thing I'm really happy about, Tempest is really sturdy(and I say that after 500 missions on WC with it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it really weak TBH. Then again I've really only flown in co-ops and offline. I've not really flown online too much with it. WC seems dead around the times I get to play on it now and hardly anyone is on TS. I don't like to fly alone.

R_Target
05-02-2006, 09:21 AM
I've started flying the FW 1900 D-9 and P-38 while waiting for a recoil fix on USN planes. J2M3 is a fun little plane.

WOLFMondo
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
You can't go wrong with the Dora. Best fighter plane in this sim. Be sure.

jolulure
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry, but what is the exact name of that plane??? is it a thin long one?? FW 190 D-9????