PDA

View Full Version : As I embark on my third re-install...

Worf101
04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Tell me if there's ANYPLACE I can buy the DVD on THIS side of the pond???!!!

Da "I'm really gettin' sick of this" Worfster

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
"I'm really gettin' sick of this"

Sick of the extra 10 minutes it takes to install off the seperate discs? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

It'd be nice to have, but it can't be THAT big a deal eh? If it is, then go to http://www.gogamer.com type 'sturmovik' into the search window and order one.

TB

Worf101
04-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
"I'm really gettin' sick of this"

Sick of the extra 10 minutes it takes to install off the seperate discs? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

It'd be nice to have, but it can't be THAT big a deal eh? If it is, then go to http://www.gogamer.com type 'sturmovik' into the search window and order one.

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unh as glitches from the various patches force me to install again and again... where the heck did you come up with a time figure of 10 minutes? Maybe it would 10 minutes IF the merged install took right the FIRST time... It's a whole lot more time than that when you're on install number 3 believe me.

Da Worfster

slo_1_2_3
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Worf I agree with you 100% it is a big pain to do hat and if you know who I am you should know it took me almost two days to get the merged game and patches running, So whoever did it in ten minutes I frickin bow to them as they must be a god.

knightflyte
04-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I've been fortunate then. I haven't had issues reinstalling IL2/PF. But it's not an added ten minutes. It's more like 20 minutes to a half hour depending n how fast my CD/DVD burner recognizes the CD and autoloads, and inserting 8 discs to get a complete game. (2FB...AEP...2PF...3 discs for patches)
I usually only install when I reformatt my hard drive so it's a COMPLETE reinstall.

BUT it would sure be easier with a single disc. In time I'll pick it up.

Sorry to hear about the difficultes, Worf.

3.JG51_BigBear
04-19-2006, 02:49 PM
I really like have the DVD. I got it from gogamer and did a reinstall on both my machines. I saw definite improvements on both with the fresh install and with the DVD you're ready to go in no time.

Worf101
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Just ordered it. With luck I'll be back with the squadron in a week or so...

Da Worfster

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-20-2006, 12:04 PM
No intended condescension Worf, I simply haven't had the problems I've seen listed. maybe I'm just fortunate, but I have made my own update/patch disks with the needed patches and backups of my map and skin files. I run the appropriate patch executables and when finished, simply copy/paste the backed up skin files. If you total the time to switch out disks and do the patch updates, it really is about 10 minutes (I guess my CD and DVD drives have very good autoload and access times). 8 discs at about 45 seconds each to change them out and autoplay and three patches that autoexecute once clicked = about 10 minutes.

I do a reformat/clean install about once a year simply to clean up the clutter (I'm fortunate that I have other machines to do the more mundane tasks I guess) and have installed this sim a few times with no trouble at all...including patches. On my update/patch disk I also have a simple readme that describes the correct order and any other suggestions I've found helpful.

TB

stathem
04-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Not to make you jealous but,

Oh you'll love it Worf. I just finally got round to doing a clean install with the DVD I got on the 31st...took longer to uninstall the old lot than it did to install it from the DVD. I set aside a whole night to do it (with defrags) and it was done in an hour (the whole process that is) or so. Highly recomended.