PDA

View Full Version : Water 3/4 performance

WOLFMondo
08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I finally got my 7900GTX back, an eVGA one this time and tried Water=3 and Water=4 but get very bad frame rates, unplayable levels. Even turning FSAA and AF off doesn't help, i still get unplayable FPS when looking at the water, playing with water=2 my frames don't drop below 60FPS even with 8xFSAA and 16xAF so I assume its totally a Water=3/4 problem with Nvidia cards or drivers.

Is there a way to address this via the conf.ini? Or is this a known problem with 7900GT/GTX's?

stansdds
08-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Water 3 and 4 are real frame rate killers, but the 7900GTX should be able to handle it. What's the rest of your system look like? Perhaps there is a bottleneck somewhere like RAM, CPU or sound.

WOLFMondo
08-13-2006, 09:38 AM
The rest of the system is fine: AMD 64Bit 3500, 3GB DDR400, 2X 200GB SATAII drives in RAID 0. Pretty much confident its down to water 3/4 conflict or problem with the Nvidia drivers rather than anything else.

The odd thing was, I had an XFX7900GTX that had terrible errors with it but could run Water = 4 with ok frames, just a ton of artifacts from poor memory.

WOLFMondo
08-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Turns out this second card is a fab G70 board so I'm sending it back to eVGA as it gets horrifical aritfacts when running OGL applications like the deep freeze benchmark and prolonged play in IL2.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow, hang in there WOLF.

WOLFMondo
08-14-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm trying! Just really pissed me of yesterday. It caused about 5 disconnects from WC during the afternoon so I just gave up.

Gigabyte do G71 based 7900GTX's which are made at a different fab, with a different chip so i'm getting one of them now. If that fails, back to ATI.

WOLFMondo
08-17-2006, 05:21 AM
After hearing the card they said they would give me is out of stock I've gone to a different supplier and got a different card. One of these (http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products/graphics_landing.php?gpid=143)

-HH-Quazi
08-17-2006, 06:05 AM
That's to bad. You have went from the cadilac of customer service to the Yugo of customer service. Too many times I have seen eVga upgrade a customers card for their inconvenience. I have seen my many 7900GT RMA's receive 7900GTX's for replacements for the very same reason. You may have just missed out on a free upgrade to a 7950 GX2. Not only that, but they have proven themselves to have the best customer service of any card manufacture in the world during the last 6 months with the 7900GT fiasco that all three major card manufactures had to endure (XFX, BFG, & eVga) because of an nVidia reference design whack up that had the physical maker of the PCB's using the incorrect memory chips and regulators on the 7900GT. During this time, they were the only company, and still are the only company, that invoked cross-shipping for their 7900GT customer base if an RMA was needed. I was one of these customers and received my cross-shipped replacement inside of a week of submitting the original RMA. There are reasons to endure slow ups and show a little patience, and just to be able to have confidence in a lifetime warranty with expressed permission to overclock and watercool from a company that stands behind the cards they sell to the hardcore PC gamer\enthusiasts is one of those reasons.

But....with that said....WOW, what an AWESOME card m8! That cooling system should tame the heat that the X1900XTX's cores produce. Congrats!

Btw, I still bleed ATI red...HEHE

WOLFMondo
08-17-2006, 06:37 AM
eVGA said they would replace it with a G71 based 7900GTX but the returns time would take allot longer than returning it to scan and getting a new Gigabyte G71 based board of Scan, which screwed up. eVGA have also stopped cross shipping according to there T's & C's and they don't pick up via courier like Scan do which means time out of my day, which is at a premium at the moment with my new job. On top of that, I really don't have the patience to take another risk with another Nvidia card. Currently they seem far removed from when I had a trusty Geforce 4 ti4200.

I did consider the 7950 but I have dual monitors and the 7950 won't run in SLI mode with dual monitors and it doesn't dedicate a GPU per monitor either, so for me, its not that great.

The X1900XTX won't be as good as the 7900GTX with IL2:FB but most reviews and benchmarks generally rate the 1900XTX as a better card than the 7900GTX.