PDA

View Full Version : DO-217 and Fritz-X guided bombs

Chris0382
02-21-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm just reading a book on the luftwaffe and they describe the 3,330 lb Fritz -X guided bomb controlled by a joystick and carried by the DO-217. The bombs were responsible for sinking the battleship Roma when the surrendered Italian fleet set sail to Malta. It would be nice to have something like that in the game and wonder if there is one that I havent found yet or do I need to look harder.

ploughman
02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
We don't have a Do-217 or Fritz guided bomb. We do have something 'similar' in the form of the X-4 missile which features as a load out on the Lerche, Ta-183 and the Ta-152c. It's a wire guided air to air missile with an aucoustic proximity/contact fuze and the pilot uses a joystick to guide it. Best used from dead astern of large aircraft (ie: bombers) but it can be used as an air to ground missile if you like. It won't sink a battleship though.

Chris0382
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks guy

I was blown away to realize Germany had guided bombs boy how lucky we were that hitler was irrational and didnt plan better in advance like building up the military another 2yrs before going into Poland.

berg417448
02-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
Thanks guy

I was blown away to realize Germany had guided bombs boy how lucky we were that hitler was irrational and didnt plan better in advance like building up the military another 2yrs before going into Poland.

The Allies used guided weapons too. Check out the AZON Bomb, The USN BAT radar guided weapon and the TDR-1 assault Drone.