PDA

View Full Version : Why no tracers

rfxcasey
06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Just thought of something. How come the gunners in the bombers have tracers but my Hellcat has none? That's not very realistic if you ask me.

Treetop64
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
You don't see any rounds going downrange when you fire? I fly the Hellcat, and other .50 equipped aircraft too, and I see tons of tracers.

p-11.cAce
06-09-2010, 12:20 PM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss324/austinrhea/Emoticons/popcorn.gif

Ba5tard5word
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
They're those red things you see flying out. I'm pretty sure that without tracers in real life you wouldn't see much more than a blur when firing any airplane's guns.

TinyTim
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
If you let your airplane sit idle on the ground and squeeze your guns - do you see the tracers against the blue sky background or not?

.50cal M2 tracers might be hard to spot versus green background, especially if you have daltonism.

Choctaw111
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Get out the popcorn is right http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Anyway, if you are running the stock edition of Il2, there are plenty of tracers in the 50 cals.
The visibility of the 50 cal tracers in another matter.
Oleg has even addressed this issue in the past.
It is a limit of the game engine that makes the 50 cal tracers (among others) hard to see from the pilots perspective.
Real world 50 cal tracers burn very brightly and burn to a distance of 2,200 meters.
Even on a bright sunny day, the 50 cal tracers are very noticeable.

rfxcasey
06-10-2010, 06:53 AM
Oh, yeah well I guess I do have tracers but it seems like one they get about 50 meters from my plane they ain't worth a hoot anymore. It's not like I can walk my stream of fire onto my target so they are basically useless.

Choctaw111
06-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by rfxcasey:
Oh, yeah well I guess I do have tracers but it seems like one they get about 50 meters from my plane they ain't worth a hoot anymore. It's not like I can walk my stream of fire onto my target so they are basically useless.

Again, this is a problem with the game engine.
The tracers from the pilots perspective are very dim.
When you see them far away from the side, they look much better.

rfxcasey
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rfxcasey:

Again, this is a problem with the game engine.
The tracers from the pilots perspective are very dim.
When you see them far away from the side, they look much better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true I never really thought about that. So I guess if you use a mod to change them you have to use a mod server online or is there no mod that can fix this problem?

Treetop64
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by rfxcasey:

I don't know about "useless". You might have to change your gunnery tactics a bit, and use your best judgment with deflection to fire directly on your target as best you can.

rfxcasey
06-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rfxcasey:

I don't know about "useless". You might have to change your gunnery tactics a bit, and use your best judgment with deflection to fire directly on your target as best you can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just the whole point of tracers is not that they look pretty. If I'm shooting a hard deflection with a target 300+ meters out the tracers can take a little of the guess work out of it which is "in real life" what they were designed for.

p-11.cAce
06-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Personally I have no issues with the tracers as they are in the game. As for real life - well none of us REALLY have the experience to know one way or the other http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

rfxcasey
06-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
Personally I have no issues with the tracers as they are in the game. As for real life - well none of us REALLY have the experience to know one way or the other http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

No but we do have hundreds of rolls of gun cam footage both in color and black and white. I've heard the argument that the camera enhances the effect of tracers and bullet strikes however I don't entirely buy that as there is footage from hundreds of different cameras with may different film and optic technologies from both allied and axis all showing the positive feedback provided by tracers. The feeling I get is if tracers didn't work they wouldn't have kept using them even up to this day.