PDA

View Full Version : WARNING-Photobucket MAY have been hacked-sumthin's not right in any event.

Enforcer572005
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Um, I am no expert, but I have suddenly loss access to my extensive album and can't upload anything anymore due to an unending add for security software that "scans" my computer and won't let me leave until I dlload this program. It won't take no for an answer. It says I've got all kinds of malware on my computer, but I can't access the entire list.

It also claims it's AVG, but I have the latest edition of AVG on my computer and when IT scanned at my prompting (independant of the add) it only found one spyware program (from there I think) that it quickly eliminated, not the huge list of dangerous stuff this ad partially listed. I've had AVG for yrs and it's always worked quite well, but this....."thing" .....is keeping me from using photobucket.

I DID NOT dnload the program that it kept trying to force on me, claiming it was AVG, so I can only hope it added nothing harmful. If this is really an AVG add, it's pretty lame, but I don't think it is.

I dunno if this only affects my computer or what, but I thought I'd warn you people. Looks a bit odd to me, and I can't believe photobucket would allow such a disruptive advertiser to interfere with thier site. I can only assume there is a high likelihood that this is NOT actually AVG but some kinda virus crap. I cannot contact photobucket to ask about it due to this thing.

I just thought I'd say something.

Fledermaus578
01-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I was on Photobucket earlier this morn, and just now after reading your post.
No problems.. no virus warnings.
You may have picked it up somewhere else.

B16Enk
01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
My Photobucket looks ok to Enforcer..

Tell you what though M8, we have sufficient bandwidth and space that I could set up a photo gallery just for you over @ the pound...

PF_Coastie
01-24-2009, 11:39 AM
You have the Antivirus 09 virus.

Try this link for removal instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.co...stall-antivirus-2009 (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009)

It is a real PITA to get rid of. It may even redirect you to another site other than the one I listed above. You may have to do a search from another computer and download the removal tool onto a CD and run it from the CD.

Good luck

Enforcer572005
01-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanx guys. I just wonder why it only shows up on PHotobucket, so that's why I made the MAYBE post. I thought it best to say something just in case.

I will try and get rid of htis crap. No matter how much stuff you have to defend against this garbage, and how careful you are about where you go, some online terrorist will find a way.

And B16, I am going to upload a bunch of stuff to the pound soon, just gotta get the time. Yeah, I could use that.

Enforcer572005
01-24-2009, 01:13 PM
BTW, WTF haven't these clowns and the other outfits that use such garbage prosecuted by the feds? Or the govt of where ever they are operating from? If they have an address, and can take payments, can't they be thrown in the slammer? I know this is simplistic, but I am pretty sure this is illegal in most countries.

I just wonder why they keep getting away with it. I also did another complete scan and nothing was detected, so it's some pretty effective garbage. I would really love to drag these guys outta their house in the middle of the night and.......well, I'll be quiet now.

Wish there were a way to retaliate....IDF style.

eindecker
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Yup, it came in attached to down loads of 3D Vantage (Followup to 3D Mark 06).
The little jewl installs itself and acticates a
active X "add on" in the Windows Explorer. You can disable the Active X
file just by opening the Internet Explorer, going to "Tools"
and "Manage Add Ons". I forget the Active X file's name, I first disabled the add on
then purged my system of the garbage.

Eindecker

SeaFireLIV
01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Yea, these guys i hate. they ruin other people`s freetime. I had a simlar evil virus that screwed everything, even stopping me from rolling back. Then they wanted me to pay them to fix the virus. It was like having the mafia forcing you to pay for `protection` same thing.

I found that many had the same problem and some were actually stupid enough to PAY up, and then later, they had to go thru the whole rot again!

I would reformat my PC a million times than give them that satisfaction. In fact, I`d bin it completely if there were no way to solve it, rather than bowing to that.

I hope the authorities have caught up to them by now.

Enforcer572005
01-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Man that's odd. I don't have 3dvantage, so it had to come from someplace else for me. But oddly, it's not shown up again. I even went back to photobucket today, and it wasn't there. I did a search on my cmputer for anything by the antivirus name and found nothing.

I am still gonna use the link above to get rid of it though, since it must be someplace. Kinda worries me that it hides someplace. Those guys should be sent to Gitmo....and forgotten about.

Tully__
01-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
... Those guys should be sent to Gitmo....and forgotten about.
Gitmo's too good for them, they get fed and housed there.

M_Gunz
01-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Up against the wall with the lot, I say!

I_KG100_Prien
01-26-2009, 07:19 AM
I recently had to re-format my HDD thanks to such upstanding citizens.

Got a virus that I could not eradicate no matter how hard I tried and have no idea where it came from.

Stuff like that basically terminated most of the web surfing I used to do. There aren't many websites I go to anymore because the net really has become a cesspool. Spyware, Malware, Viruses, and the amount of advertising is just horrid.

I practice safe internet but as I described above even then little "gems" get through.

Enforcer572005
01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I guess this is the web equivalent of having a condom break (don't ask me how I know that).
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I got firewall etc, and I'm careful as blazes where I go to, but I do go to links pasted on here to vids, posts at other sites etc, but they usually go to well known or heavily trafficked sites, so I dunno where i got it.

I quit going to most of the photography sites i used to frequent, even a couple that I had portfolios on, as one of those got hacked and something got on my new computer quazi built that completely locked it up some weeks ago. He's gonna come about 120 miles to fix it, but once he does, I'm not going to use it for any online stuff ohter than flying - NONE.

In my scan run by AVG, there were several tracking cookies and some other stuff that it said was no threat, but still eliminated. I wonder if this stuff somehow was hidden it that and has been eliminated, because it hasn't shown up anymore....I hope. Nothing was listed as anti virus 2009, but Al quada guys don't run around western cities wearing turbans.

I understand there is a great deal of feeling that many such problems actually originate wiht some of the larger anti-virus software outfits. I never heard any names, but that would make sense. Considering the current economic conditions and some of the people credited with contributing to it, I wouldn't be too surprised.

I wish there were a virtual way of going postal and ruining these people.....maybe do something that would prompt Delta or the SAS into going after them. They don't have to go by the rules.

SeaFireLIV
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
something got on my new computer quazi built that completely locked it up some weeks ago. He's gonna come about 120 miles to fix it,.

That Quazzi`s a decent chap. Does he go to England too? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Somehow, I don`t think the SAS would have internet terrorists as high on their hitlist. Be nice if they did though. Imagine the look on the evil company/business hacker`s face as he writes up another people-ruining Virus when his door`s suddenly blown open by a charge and a flashbang stuns him just to get two rounds in the temple when he recovers!

PanzerAce
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
AVG, for lack of a better word, sucks. Use Malwarebytes instead. FAR better than any of the paid or free anti-anything that I have gotten my hands on, and if you contact them with something that it can't seem to fix, they'll help you even if you didn't buy the program.

RedToo
01-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I second that about Malwarebytes - good stuff. I must also recommend VIPRE from Sunbelt Software - an excellent (accurate / very fast) combined anti virus / anti malware. It's payware but they do good deals - e.g. home network price and they listen and talk to you. Good people with a good product (and no I don't work for them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

RedToo.

joeap
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
something got on my new computer quazi built that completely locked it up some weeks ago. He's gonna come about 120 miles to fix it,.

That Quazzi`s a decent chap. Does he go to England too? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Somehow, I don`t think the SAS would have internet terrorists as high on their hitlist. Be nice if they did though. Imagine the look on the evil company/business hacker`s face as he writes up another people-ruining Virus when his door`s suddenly blown open by a charge and a flashbang stuns him just to get two rounds in the temple when he recovers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I've thought the same thing... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I_KG100_Prien
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Going to give Malwarebytes a shot, sounds like it's the goods.

I've been using AVG and Adaware and up until that little sweetie just before Christmas those two programs had never let me down. Also use Registry Mechanic.

The virus I got was some kind of trojan.. Thinking about it I think I got it from following a link on an internet forum, but it seemed harmless enough.

Not long after that my firewall shut itself off and was hard to turn back on, I couldn't enable automatic updates- Every time I ran Adaware and AVG they found threats.. Also AVG constantly popped up with a found virus but couldn't get rid of it.

Ad-pop ups came up constantly when surfing the web (and not).. My computer slowed down.. stuff crashed. It was a good time, be sure.

It was the first time I had to re-format my computer thanks to a virus since 2001.

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
My photobucket account has simply not worked in weeks. I try to log in as I do at least once per week and it keeps telling me wrong user name or password. I have hundreds of personal photos uploaded there and its really ****ing me off.

S!

erco415
01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
My wife's computer got the 'Antivirus 2009' bug as well, and she was surfing crochet patterns, for Pete's sake! We used the Malwarebytes remover as well, and were very pleased with it, especially as nothing else worked. I was a little surprised that threatfire didn't catch it.

WTE_Galway
01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
BTW, WTF haven't these clowns and the other outfits that use such garbage prosecuted by the feds? Or the govt of where ever they are operating from? If they have an address, and can take payments, can't they be thrown in the slammer? I know this is simplistic, but I am pretty sure this is illegal in most countries.

uh ... no

In fact in some jurisdictions (I think the state of Texas may be one of them but I am not sure about that)it is actually illegal to interfere with some malware because of legislation protecting "free trade" and the rights of business to "advertise".

Choctaw111
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
When I first read this I was a little nervous, but I logged in and no problems here.

wheelsup_cavu
01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
When I first read this I was a little nervous, but I logged in and no problems here.

I hadn't tried to login since I read this thread on Saturday.
I am still nervous but it is working fine at the moment.

Wheelsup

SeaFireLIV
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

uh ... no

In fact in some jurisdictions (I think the state of Texas may be one of them but I am not sure about that)it is actually illegal to interfere with some malware because of legislation protecting "free trade" and the rights of business to "advertise".

Now that`s capitalism gone mad!

If it`s true.

sunflower1
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
AVG sucks. Anything but AVG.

HaVok, same deal with my photobucket account as well.

Enforcer572005
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Well I've gone several days with no sign of the original virus, been on photobucket repeatedly, so I dunno where it went.

So far AVG has actually worked rather well, as I don't have much problem with this kinda stuff.
Actually, this is the first time in the two plus yrs that I've had this computer that it's gotten this kinda thing.

I had Norton on my new computer and it lasted about two weekss, but I think that it would have been attacked by whatever it was anyway as the site I think it came from had been hacked a bit and would've gotten through most anything.