PDA

View Full Version : Unbelieveable Luck!

Tsar_of_Cows
04-03-2005, 02:10 AM
So, after finishing my patrol near Scarpa Flow, i decided to get a little adventurous, I headed down south a bit to investigate the Firth of Forth, haveing been there IRL, i wanted ot see what it looked like in SH3.

So, I head off down there, and first thing I find is an armed trawler no problem, I wont even bother with it as it cant hutme, but, i realise it has a destroyer following it quite close behind, and soon another destroyer pops into range. T cut a long story short, Im detected by these three ships, and before I know it, I have several destroyer contacts closeing in, and with a few careful manuvers, manage to loose all but two destroyers who are pretty close on my tail.

I decide I cant really avoid these two, they are too close and closing, so, I pop up the attack periscope, swivel it around, and take aim with the aft torpedo. I notice that one destroyer is coming up behind me, at exactly 180 degrees, while the other is turning in behind it to follow the same attack run.

So, I launch the aft torpedo just in time for the destroyer to change corse slightly, and increase speed, its now heading for me still, but faster and at a slightlydifferent angle, it has miscalculated my position.

But, its still closeing, and, within no time at all, it is practically on top of me, giving me just enough time to lower the periscope, hit flanking spped and make a sharp right hand turn, I try to pull the conning tower out of the way, hoever I have no luck, the destroyer runs me over, scraping it's hull along the top on my coning tower, the U-Boat shakes violently and I fully expect depth charges to be incming.....

But, total silence, then, two announcements, both the same: "Enemy ship sunk!"

What?

So, I pop up the attack periscope expecting the destroyers collided or something, only to see, that the one that run me over is nowe sinknig, as is the one that was behind it....

The torpedo I fired missed and hit the seconddestroyer! Then, the first one sank from a hullbreach caused by running over my conning tower, which recieved repairable damage!

Hows that for unbelieveable luck?

Kuniworth
04-03-2005, 02:33 AM
The conning tower thing happens all the time unfortunately. It's a big bug.

Great story nontheless!

finchOU
04-03-2005, 11:07 AM
ah, two bugs....stupid AI and the Collision Bug.

those DD's should zig zag to your position until they feel they are with in that range where your torps cant arm and they can make a straight attack run. you would also think the first DD having seen the Torp (maybe) would radio it to the second no?? Dumb AI.

U-49
04-03-2005, 11:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by finchOU:
you would also think the first DD having seen the Torp (maybe) would radio it to the second no?? Dumb AI <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps the first destroyer didn't see it? If it did see the torpedo, and assuming at such close range and with everything happening so quickly, it had time to radio the ship behind it - is it possible the second destroyer wasn't able to react in time?

Hmm, you must be right. None of the above is plausible. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

finchOU
04-03-2005, 12:07 PM
well the radio thing I can see, but the other is disturbing....that is a dd always going DIRECTLY at your position vise zig zaging.

well, i'm not saying that a DD never goes straight to your position....I'm just saying there is no proof in this sim that they do anything other than go straight at you. No zig zag (other than when they spot a torpedo from what I have been gathering)...nothing like that. Please prove me wrong...I cant test anything write now with my game being down.....I really hope they are not dumb!

Tsar_of_Cows
04-04-2005, 03:53 PM
It is an annoying bug, you'd think they;d realise that running you over, although it *might* kill you is just a sure fire way to sink themselves.

And here was me thinking that "Kamakazis" were Japanese fighter pilots, but, again I was proved wrong, now they are Ryal Navy Destroyers :P