PDA

View Full Version : Keeping my squadron from augering when I land

Kratzer
11-07-2004, 10:55 AM
So... basically at the end of every mission, my squadron flies into the ocean when I go in to land, because they insist on sticking to the formation and following me, and they end up doing all of these wild gyrations to stick with me while I'm at very low speed on approach... and then they all end up crashing into the water.

I've tried telling them 'loiter here' a few miles from the carrier, but that doesn't do a thing.

What am I missing here?

georgeo76
11-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Try ordering them to land them selfs.

VW-IceFire
11-07-2004, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kratzer:
So... basically at the end of every mission, my squadron flies into the ocean when I go in to land, because they insist on sticking to the formation and following me, and they end up doing all of these wild gyrations to stick with me while I'm at very low speed on approach... and then they all end up crashing into the water.

I've tried telling them 'loiter here' a few miles from the carrier, but that doesn't do a thing.

What am I missing here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your the flight leader when this happens yes? Then just order them to return to base.

That way, they will just start flying the landing pattern and asking for permission to land. Otherwise, they are just trying to stick with their leader.

Kratzer
11-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Alright... is there a way to tell them to hold off and let me land?

SeaFireLIV
11-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Request landing and get the ok from the Carrier. Then go in for landing. Anyone else trying will request first and the Carrier will say no. If you`re too late in asking then the Carrier will ask you to wait and you`ll have to try again after the 1st guy`s landed.

As long as you don`t take forever you`ll have plenty of time. If you do keep failing your landings, just ask tower for landing clearance again.

The Carrier control is quite good at this than the Tower Control in previous FB, but this is Cos it`s important to know when to land on your turn, since the runways are so much fewer and smaller.

MK2aw
11-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Are you using DGENBeta3.11? The new campaign generator for PF that improves AI?

Please answer!

Mk2aw

Tully__
11-07-2004, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kratzer:
Alright... is there a way to tell them to hold off and let me land? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't wait until you're right at base to tell them to return to base. Give them the return order from about 30-50km from home base (unless there's a risk of running into more enemy).

PF_Coastie
11-07-2004, 08:32 PM
OK, If you are flight leader, thats great.

What if you are the second plane in the flight and the leader crashes?

There is no way to get the AI off you. They will either crash into you or the carrier.

I wish command would drop down the chain when current leader is killed.

Kratzer
11-07-2004, 11:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MK2aw:

Please answer!

Mk2aw <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I am not.

Seafire - That doesn't work - I request a landing before any of them, get clearance, and then go immediately to make my landing, but then I'll hear the #2 request a landing and be granted clearance to land, so he's coming in right behind me, or right with me, or however it shakes out, and if I request a landing again, I'm told to go around. I basically just end up racing my squadron to the deck and then immediately quitting the mission after landing so that they don't land on top of me.

Or... they don't request a landing at all (it seems some missions don't have the landing waypoints?), and stick to my wing, and run into each other or the water as I go to land - I've kind of gotten this to be less of an issue by telling them to break when I start the final approach, but... slightly annoying. I lose more wingmen to friendly collisions and crashes than to enemy fire.

SeaFireLIV
11-08-2004, 02:04 AM
You need 3.11 DGEN. Also, check you are landing on the correct carrier! (Look at waypoint map).

p.s. PF_Coastie`s right about the problem if you`re not leader and the leader is killed. But this has been mentioned to Oleg who has yet to see the wisdom of dropping down the chain of command in flight if your leader is killed. I may post about this to him....again.

mortoma
11-08-2004, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MK2aw:

Please answer!

Mk2aw <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No DGEN beta in the world can improve AI!! Dgen is done by Starshoy, who has no control over the AI part of the game. Dgen is only a campaign generator. AI is only done by the Russian main programmers in Russia. Starshoy lives in Canada.

Blottogg
11-08-2004, 11:29 AM
SeaFire, the DGen beta solves the problem of the Beaufighter Ai lawn-darting, but it does so by bumping up the waypoint altitudes, not by changing the Ai programming. Regardless, it's an improvement that is worth using.

Kratzer, the player's request for landing clearance is pretty much window dressing in the game. Tower will tell you to go around if someone else is landing, but will gladly clear someone to land on top of you after you've been cleared.

As PF_Coastie and SeaFire mentioned, if you started as #2 and lead snuffs it, you're SOL. Three and four will maintain formation until impact. Restart the mission and protect #1 better, or shoot #3 if you're not too attached to him.

If you start out as lead, tell your flight to go home when it's safe, and work your way into the landing pattern as you can. They tend to fly wide "bomber" landing patterns, so you can often sneak in ahead of them. Many missions also have a "dogleg" programmed into the RTB route, allowing you to cut the corner after telling everybody else to RTB.