PDA

View Full Version : Graphical glitches/bugs and "clipping" issues in the Assassin's Creed series

IntoxicEIGHT
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
This is not a rant thread, its a thread to discuss the graphical issues the series has had since it all started and how it has evolved.

I love these games. Some of the most visually stunning and awe inspiring games I have played on any console, but my biggest pet peeve throughout the series has been the "clipping" issue.

Any procedure which identifies that portion of a picture which is either inside or outside a picture is referred to as a clipping algorithm or clipping.

For example: In the Assassin's Creed games you will often notice parts of some of the outfits that clip with the crossbow, or your feet going through the back of your robe skirt. Sometimes you'll notice the hidden blade or certain weapons moving unrealistically through enemy bodies and placement is off. I've seen rooftop guards completely clipped through the roof of a building. I've seen Ezio's robes clipped through a bench or viewpoint plank when he's crouched. The list goes on and on. Clipping is an issue almost every game that uses computer graphics due to layering of the objects that you see around you.

I was really hoping some of these issues would be ironed out with Revelations, but in fact, they got a bit worse. If most of these issues were fixed either in Revelations or the next Assassin's Creed, it would be an astounding achievement in the gaming industry and for the Assassin's Creed developers. It would also help this game reach near perfection on my scale.

So I guess my question to anyone who took the time to view this thread is:

How have the graphical issues in the Assassin's Creed series affected your game-play and overall opinion over that past few years? Has it ruined your experience at all as an AC fan? What would you like to see ironed out in the near future? Is it even possible to fix some of these issues that the game has with the technology available?

obliviondoll
11-21-2011, 10:22 AM
First game had less clipping problems than any other game in the series.

AC2 had less issues than Brotherhood.

I would have been VERY surprised if I heard the pattern was changed for Revelations. I'm not hearing of anything else I cared about getting any better either.

Once again, very glad I didn't bother buying ACR, and even more glad I didn't do what I've done with the previous titles and pre-order the collector's edition.

Mr_Shade
11-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Clipping errors are something that the game engine does suffer from - and there's currently nothing they can do to stop it.

Moving to a new game engine may solve it.

I have to say though, I didn't really notice that much in ACR - but then again, it's not something I would be looking for - or allow to annoy me.

misterB2001
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Brotherhood suffered from many graphical glitches Frame rate drops etc. I was very surprised and delighted that Revelations graphics were better and the glitches were minimal.

reini03
11-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I would love to see the screen tearing being removed. But then again, turning on V-sync on the current gen of consoles would probably make the frame rate suffer....

IntoxicEIGHT
11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
@obliviondoll

The graphical errors don't make Revelations a complete washout. It's easily the best AC out of the series in my mind. There's only a few things i would change if i had the power.

You should still pick up a copy eventually, maybe when the price drops a little. The game is still incredible.

dewgel
11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:
Clipping errors are something that the game engine does suffer from - and there's currently nothing they can do to stop it.

I have to say though, I didn't really notice that much in ACR - but then again, it's not something I would be looking for - or allow to annoy me.

I'm not going to lie, it got to me. Below may contain a cheeky spoiler, but also includes my major glitch...

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">On the first mission when you are climbing Masyaf, just when you climb the final bit to get to the eagle at the top, it kept on glitching and clipping me back to the ledge where I came from and forcing me to drop, so I tried getting back up, it clipped me back to the ground. So I tried getting back up on the right hand side instead, and it clipped me about a mile down the side of the castle, to which I was greeted "AREA NOT AVAILABLE - DESYNCH BLABLA" and then Ezio crumbled to his death somewhere in hell. Then I was spawned back at the checkpoint, and it was perfect. </span>

That was my first time putting the disc in, and it really worried me for the rest of the game.

However alot of the graphical problems are really annoying, silly things like Ezio's eyes glowing yellow because his hood doesn't create any shading on the face so it thinks the sunlight is hitting them.

And when Assassin recruits carry Crossbows (which are included in their standard character models, and aren't extras I've added), the crossbow just goes right through their cape and some of their armour.

I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for any new engines, considering the inevitable ACIII coming next year will probably have only had a 2 year development cycle.

reini03
11-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Hey, I had the exact same problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
I just restarted the mission and everything was fine. But I didn't really notice that many other glitches/bugs. Sure, some crossbows clipping through capes and armour, but these are minor problems to me. I usually don't even pay attention to that.

roostersrule2
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by dewgel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_Shade:

I'm not going to lie, it got to me. Below may contain a cheeky spoiler, but also includes my major glitch...

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">On the first mission when you are climbing Masyaf, just when you climb the final bit to get to the eagle at the top, it kept on glitching and clipping me back to the ledge where I came from and forcing me to drop, so I tried getting back up, it clipped me back to the ground. So I tried getting back up on the right hand side instead, and it clipped me about a mile down the side of the castle, to which I was greeted "AREA NOT AVAILABLE - DESYNCH BLABLA" and then Ezio crumbled to his death somewhere in hell. Then I was spawned back at the checkpoint, and it was perfect. </span>

That was my first time putting the disc in, and it really worried me for the rest of the game.

However alot of the graphical problems are really annoying, silly things like Ezio's eyes glowing yellow because his hood doesn't create any shading on the face so it thinks the sunlight is hitting them.

And when Assassin recruits carry Crossbows (which are included in their standard character models, and aren't extras I've added), the crossbow just goes right through their cape and some of their armour.

I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for any new engines, considering the inevitable ACIII coming next year will probably have only had a 2 year development cycle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It would of have a 3 year cycle by the time it comes out and look what Bethesda has done in 3 years skyrim is huge.