PDA

View Full Version : b-17 online

Codger1949
05-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Hi. Not sure if I'm in the right forum but I've got pf+fb+aep all patched up and when I join some online servers I see a b-17 option in the arming section. I click on it and when I join the game all I get is an exterior view, no cockpit. I exit the online game and go to single player and there is no b-17 in the quick mission builder. Oh yeah, in the online game I see 17's flying around bombing the **** outa everything. So what gives? Why can't I have a 17?

dbillo
05-16-2006, 06:50 AM
The B-17 is not a "flyable" airplane in the game, i.e. it has no cockpit. However, by manually editing the mission file, mission builders can make it (and other non-flyable planes) available to fly, but from external view only.

You won't find it in Quick Mission Builder, as that list only includes flyable planes, and this "feature" only works with dogfight servers. All the controls will respond normally, including dropping bombs (as you have seen). I suggest F8 "chase view" until you get the hang of it.

LEBillfish
05-16-2006, 07:03 AM
However..........

To fly them you need to do the following:

* Select any other "plane w/a cockpit" and enter the game simply sitting on the tarmac.
* Exit back to ready room and select the "AI" plane you wish to fly/loadouts/etc..
* re-enter the game
* fly it as you would any normal plane just from an external view.

You must do that "each time" you wish to fly it.

Codger1949
05-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks guys. So, it's like flying a RC airplane in the park. It aint easy. E.g. if the plane is headed towards you and one wing is low you push the stick towards the low wing to level out. Got confusing. Hence the suggestion to fly chase view. Man, some of you guys are hard corps (or is it "core"?).

Dean3238
05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
What's the needed manual mod to the mission file?

Thx!

Dean

Troll2k
05-16-2006, 05:07 PM
You manually add the plane name in the correct born place(airbase).

However since this is a workaround if you edit the mis file again using fmb it will remove all the AI and any other workarounds.(like multiple front lines)

Best to make a copy of the modified mis file.Then if you modify the map again using fmb you will have the backup with the AI installed.I just cut and paste the AI parts into the new map.

hotspace
05-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Try here as it tells you when, where and why m8:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/1111098134

Dean3238
05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Excellent!

~S~

Dean

Dean3238
05-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Puzzled...

Followed all the instructions (I think), but now in the Coop aircraft list only the one flyable I put in there (the one to start with before selecting AI) shows up in the list.

Now, I know in the past, all my Coops showed both player and AI aircraft. I have no idea how I turned them off so they can't be seen, let alone selected :-(

Oh, and from the flyable plane I can see the AIs I put out there, so I know they are loading... they just don't show up in the plane list.

Any ideas?

Dean