PDA

View Full Version : Engine sounds soooo important for Storm of War B o B

trumper
05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Oleg,Merlins MUST sound like Merlins,D- Benz like D- Benz,no more no less.
Hearing is one of the biggest senses we have,close your eyes and listen to a Merlin,it paints pictures in your mind.
Eye candy is very important but rubbish sound will completely ruin the effect.
If anyone is interested we really need Oleg to take this seriously,poll/petition anyone?

trumper
05-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Oleg,Merlins MUST sound like Merlins,D- Benz like D- Benz,no more no less.
Hearing is one of the biggest senses we have,close your eyes and listen to a Merlin,it paints pictures in your mind.
Eye candy is very important but rubbish sound will completely ruin the effect.
If anyone is interested we really need Oleg to take this seriously,poll/petition anyone?

FM_Golden_Eagle
05-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I agree completely.

The following sounds seem to me important

1) Engine noise at various power settings, or when running rough with coolant leaks, or when canopy is open or closed. Engine noise when the aircraft is viewed externally should also be well reproduced. It is totally different when you are sitting in the cockpit or when you are looking at the plane from outside.
There is only one thing that will not be realistic to do. The sound level in a fighter cockpit with engine at full power is simply deafening. People do not realize how high the sound level is even with earphones.

2)Firing guns depending on caliber, fire rate and type

3) Various sound when taxiing on rough surface if it is solid ground, muddy with water, snow, grass, tarmac or metal planking.

4) Sounds of impacts, bullets, bombs, rockets, ground vehicles, tanks, cars, trucks dozers etc. All these are sounds when seen externally and are also important for scenery immersion.

OLEG please sound modelling is as important as visual modelling.

You are now a master for the visual immersion.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I hope you become the master for sound immersion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gold

danjama
05-14-2006, 01:51 PM
+1

+1

Fighterduck
05-14-2006, 01:57 PM
100% agree! without good sounds, BoB will loose some immersion factor.Without realistic sound the awesome BoB graphics will be "useless"

watteville
05-14-2006, 01:58 PM
air sounds!!! very important, after all we are flying!!! if engine sounds are loud, I can only (as a real pilot) point that air noises are as loud as engine ones above 400 kph and growing louder as speed increases. gear out should whistle a different tune, so do flaps, airbrakes or sideslips. aircraft rolling on grass runway should make a loud uncomfortable rolling noise that stops completely when airborne, retracting landing gear with wheels still spinning should produce an unwelcoming vibrating noise. gyro instuments should whine up and down if turned on or off.

My super clean laminar flow glider makes a strong noise at 250 kph, I can only imagine the racket of a dirty me-109 gliding at 400 kph

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Strange that with all the talk of harware and graphics that no one thought to ask Oleg about this one during E3, or did they ?

As far as I can remember one thing the whole community has been in agreement on is that the sound was in dire need of improvement.

ParaB
05-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Agreed. I just did some flying in FS2004 and the MAAM B-25 and the Realair Spitfire sound so much better than their counterparts in IL2/PF its scary. I really hope Oleg ditches the current sound engine for something radically different, although I don't think he will change much.

heywooood
05-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Well if I could say one thing to Oleg it would be this...aside from thank you very much...

When the BoB website is up - I hope you will consider posting the in-game Merlin engine sound or sounds right away, because it is as important as the look of the cliffs, the fidelity of the flight models, and the perfection of the cockpit modeling.

Oleg - it won't reduce the volumn of sales for this new great title one iota, there is enough gold in that mine for everyone so it couldn't hurt. On the other hand - if you have nailed it, if you have found a way to capture the Merlin in all of its aural glory well....that would be it.

You will have won teh war.

P.S. the DB engines sound good already to my ears but hearing your improved BoB version would also be appreciated...to say the least. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
05-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Somewhow I would be surprised if the souinds werent better as well as everything else. I thiol Oleg has been hearing our complaints about the sound for a while now and he has most likely considered it. Actually I think the sounds in here arent as bad as some folks think.. I think it just depends on your sound card & speakers... they vcould indeed be better.. but they arent as bad as the sounds in IL2.

Taylortony
05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Agreed, but funnily enough a couple of Spit pilots I know comentated they wished they too heard the throaty roar of the Merlin of Griffon on heat from the cockpit as we do on the ground, but sadly this does not happen, they just hear a mechanical noise.....

FoolTrottel
05-14-2006, 03:27 PM

Currently, it all sounds great to me. (Audigy2, 5.1 Creative speaker set)

"Better" sounds would mean even higher HW specs ... assuming them sounds will still be generated.

No recorded sounds please...
I do know what CFS is like, great sounds... them recorded sounds....
What's my problem with them recorded sounds?
Predictability ... You get hit, your hear the same 'thump' sound ... next, you hear the same sound that the engine is damaged. Oh, basicaly, it's a nice sound, hearing an engine rod goin' wild, clunkin' about, yes, it's a nice sound...

But, it's always the same! You can predict it happenin'! You will predict it happenin'!

The IL2 sounds are way more fun, as in you get hit, and some time later you think you hear something different, it attracts your attention, as in 'What is this then? What is happening?'

Next you can read instruments, temps goin' up, pressures goin' down. Smoke ... gradually you hear them bearings runnin' dry... demolishing themselves.... and with 'm the engine...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif On the other hand, there should be some room for improvement, the 109 engine in the Original just seemed to sound a bit 'richer' ...

Have Fun!

WTE_Ibis
05-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Most definetly and the proof is in some of the videos made where real sounds have deen dubbed in.
The difference to immersion is immense.
And yes the 109 in the earlier version had the supercharger whine and sounded much better than todays version.
We all know that BOB will need high end computers to run and great sound would eat more resources so
I don't expect to see great things happening in this area but we should see some improvement I would think, fingers crossed.

carguy_
05-14-2006, 04:09 PM
I`m trying to be sceptical about all this so I think we will se evolution of sounds from 4.0(?) to BoB just as we saw from IL2 to FB.

Daimler Benz sound gives me goose bumps although even if little is heard outside the cockpit,I think it`s vital to know each engine sound.For instance I wouldn`t want to face situations when some plane zooms behind me I think it`s a 109 while I get few rounds up my tail from Lavochkin cannons.

Dunno if it`s really so hard to make right sounds.Gran Turismo guys recordered every car`s sound and implemented accordingly(Golf IV RS32/Mercedes AMG sound beatiful) so why MG can`t visit a flyable Hurri or 109 and record too.Plenty of folks have multiple sound samples recorder on their videos too,be it idle or fly by sound.

Same with guns,record an M2 or MG42 and other heavy guns that would resemble MGFF/Hispano at least.

I don`t know if the stall buffeting sound is realistic but I`d like to have that too.Oleg should also bring back swooshing ammo sounds.

Megile_
05-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Oleg said ages ago BoB would use similar synthesized sound like in il2.. and I doubt its gonna change much from IL2 because Oleg thinks the ingame sounds are good and depend very much on the hardware.

Search the forum and you will find the quote.

Taylortony
05-14-2006, 04:23 PM
you have a gold member? bet that is bad on a cold morning... do you have the proverbial brass monkeys balls to go with it?

FoolTrottel
05-14-2006, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oleg thinks the ingame sounds are good and depend very much on the hardware.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I copied this some time ago... and now paste it here, so no proof as in a link to the original post/reply, but here goes:

Oleg_Maddox
VIP

Posted Fri August 26 2005 03:01

quote:
Originally posted by Tvrdi:
Oleg, whats about sounds in BoB?...would it be improved compared to the one present in IL2 series? its one of the weakest points of this great sim series...

One my old German friends, who is also play IL-2 series come to Moscow and to me at home...
I tried to show him what we are doing (it was during development of PF)... First his impression was about sound :
ST: "Did you make new sound?"
OM: "No"
ST: "But is sounds increadible and in no way comparing to my home PC!"
OM: "Once more repeat - no changes in sound..."

The I expalained him why I have good sound and he is not: The sound engine designed to utilize mid to Hi End speakers and amplifiers. When it plays on good sound system - you will get increadible surrounding sound. I have good system (two systems: Inspire 5.1 and another one - simply Hi End equipment. He was listening the Inspire system, which was adjusted right without over boosting of bass and treble and as well with switched off all Creative effects which makes the sound distorted comparing to original)

I think you speak not about the sound engine, but about separate sounds for each planes.
Yes, there is the theme for the work in future to make them more copy to real prototype.
However it is hard to get now sound recording of real WWII aircraft for us, becasue
1. we use binaural recording with model of the human head on the ground and in flight. Its why you get so realistic sound distribution
2. These sounds that are accecible on the CD libraries are not of quality that we need to use for such type of sound engine. Also 98% of them where recorded on the ground... which means that it will be incorrect to use them for a flight... Or there are present just flyby sounds recorded also from the ground, which sounds in air by absolutely other way (as more greater distance from the ground)

So in BoB I expect more different sounds between the planes and more close to the real prototypes, but they will be also syntesized (!) like in Il-2 series.
Also in Bob you may use the additional speaker channel (vertical, over the head) to 2, 4, 5. 6, 7 or 9 channels (if the nine will be created for the PC cards). This will give you the way greate and precise surrounding sounds... You will be able to identify the high (altitude) of sound, which you can't get in normal horizontal systems... except Hi End multichannel processors, like say I have at home. But we will give this feature with the current sound cards. You only will need to set the speaker from one of your channel for this purpose (over the head somewere or the wall or other method)

Of couse if you like Hollywood type of sound effects for weapons and engines... we can probably give the open for tunings directory of sound effects... Its not decided yet for BoB.
For Il-2 it is impossible because the engine sound there say make our synteziser using from 8 to 11 simple sounds and a wave form for the sysntezis.

Megile_
05-14-2006, 04:33 PM
cheers FT

slipBall
05-14-2006, 05:57 PM
When I am in the mood for sounds I play IL2, and its for the sounds of flak, engine turbines, closing in on a bomber. The sounds were just better in the original. I know that there was a trade off in FB, and sounds suffered. I hope BOB is at least as good as IL2, I know it is difficult for the developement team to balance for the pc's in common use

WTE_Galway
05-14-2006, 06:28 PM
I have always found it odd that the sound in the original Il2 is so much better than more recent versions.

It was partly the growl of the DB's in the 109 in the original that got me hooked.

What actually happened to the sound why did it get worse?

As far as the Merlin goes . I read a report by a LW pilot after flying a captured Spitfire and his main impression was how smooth and quiet it was compared to the 109 .. he said it "quietly purred" rather than "rumbled"

Wolf-Strike
05-14-2006, 06:34 PM
What I would love to hear in BOB is a change in sound volume of engine dependant on thrust engine is generating.Loudest when at full military power.

Also love how the Tempest right now sounds like its straining when at full power.When you take an engine to the brink where its engineers say that it should only be run for 5 minutes max....then the engine should sound it!!

JG301_nils
05-15-2006, 03:58 AM
Heard Briggs & Stratton have just upgraded their engine sounds, maybe a tip to the developers...

Arm_slinger
05-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I fully agree, the sounds need to make as close as possible to the real deal to give maximum immersion.

As stated, in side and out side of the cockpit sound alot different. The inside being more of a constant noise. One thing I would like to have would be a volume function that adjusts the volume in the cockpit. That way it can be adjusted to user preference. It will allow voice communication to be constomised as well.

AWL_Spinner
05-15-2006, 10:28 AM
As long as Oleg keeps with the synths I trust him to pull something good out of the bag. Some of the engine sounds are really good in FB (I remember being hugely impressed with the DB spool-down whine, for instance).

No way would I ever want to see (hear!) straight samples like in other sims. Looping engine noises get very lame very quickly.

trumper
05-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't want annoying sound loops ,i just want them to realise that they need to upgrade the audio as well as other bits and pieces.
Don't forget if people are going to wait and upgrade the video/memory side of things in their computers for B o B then they may also look into upgrading the audio side if they are told the audio is worth it,otherwise they may neglect the sound side.
Must'nt let Oleg rest on his laurels thumbs_up.gif

Kraayy
05-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Is the speed of sound modelled in the game? All my tests say no. This would help with rangefinding when loud noises are involved.

MOH_Hirth
05-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes! The sound and visual arent in the same level, and today is possible better.

ucanfly
05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I hope the sounds improve for it is a tragedy that such a good sim and as complex as the sounds are, the merlin sounds like a big lawnmower and the 50 cals sound muffled.