PDA

View Full Version : Free Track IR alternative!

psaunder
11-15-2004, 02:06 PM
i saw this in a thread below and I cannot understand why it hasn't been posted before.

It's a very viable alternative to people who want to try head/look on th cheap.

YOu need a standard web cam to start with.. have a look:

http://freelook.org/

Pat.

|CoB|_Spectre
11-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I found Freelook to be easier to work with than Cam2pan. I haven't messed with it in a long time, but I had some passable results. I took an old VCR remote apart, unsoldered the IR LED, attached longer insulated wire leads between the LED and the solder points on the circuit board where the battery leads go. Then I made a small "boom" with an alligator clip on it so I could attach the LED onto my headset and position it near the middle of my forehead (like the TrackIR folks do with the reflective sticker). I put a couple of AA batteries in the revamped remote and the Freelook/webcam "saw" the spot and locked onto it. I had to close down the iris on the webcam to reduce interference from ambient light, enabling the IR LED to be the soul source of pinpoint light. The webcam I used was borrowed and probably barely met the 30fps. A faster webcam should operate more smoothly. All in all, I think it has potential, but I moved and it's still packed away and I haven't worked with it anymore. In the absence of well written instructions on the setup of Freelook, the forums there were a valuable source of help. That's where I got the idea of using an infra-red LED as opposed to a visible light source to eliminate reflections in the monitor. Be prepared to spend a bit of time tweaking the settings (deadband, speed, range of movement, calibration, etc) and developing the head position discipline it takes to use it effectively.

Bikewer
11-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks! I've put TrackIR on my Xmas list, but it's still a chunk of change. I'd tried Cam2pan with rather poor results, and was considering trying the updated software. They only give you a 5-minute trial before the thing cuts out.
I'll give this a try.