PDA

View Full Version : Wake Island

Breeze147
02-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I finally got around to starting the USMC fighter campaign. It starts out on Wake Island. When I took off and turned left and passed over the island, I stopped dead in my tracks and had to hit pause. I was lost in that moment in time. I was also startled by the memory, long forgotten, of actually having been to Wake Island.

It was November of 1966 and I was 17 years old, and a USAF Airman Third Class on the way to my first duty station at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. I had been bumped from my original flight, a spiffy chartered Boeing 707, at Travis Air Force Base, California. My cousin, who was an Air Force Captain stationed at Travis, said he could pull some strings and get me on the next flight out. It turned out to be a DC-6 (C-54 in military parlance).

Well, it took a looooooong time to get to Oki. Along the way we had to stop twice for fuel. Once in Honolulu and once at Wake Island. Wake is so incredibly unincredible, no one would believe it. I'm going by 1966 now, I have no idea what it looks like at present. Nothing but completely flat, windy, hot coral and sand. There was a terminal building, a barracks, a fuel storage area and maybe a few palm trees.

There was another young Airman that was stationed there who was manning the desk in the terminal. He told me it was an 18 month tour on Wake. I can't possibly imagine doing that tour. I would have gone bug nuts.

I also noticed that the runway extended out into the water. I asked him about that and he said the larger jets had to wait for low tide to take off!

After about 2 hours we were on our way and later that same day flew over Iwo Jima.

And because of this sim, that startling memory came back in a huge rush of nostalgia. Thank you developers!

Has anyone else on this Forum ever been to Wake Island?

Thank you for indulging an old phart and another of his long ago memories. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Breeze147
02-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I finally got around to starting the USMC fighter campaign. It starts out on Wake Island. When I took off and turned left and passed over the island, I stopped dead in my tracks and had to hit pause. I was lost in that moment in time. I was also startled by the memory, long forgotten, of actually having been to Wake Island.

It was November of 1966 and I was 17 years old, and a USAF Airman Third Class on the way to my first duty station at Kadena Air Base, Okinawa. I had been bumped from my original flight, a spiffy chartered Boeing 707, at Travis Air Force Base, California. My cousin, who was an Air Force Captain stationed at Travis, said he could pull some strings and get me on the next flight out. It turned out to be a DC-6 (C-54 in military parlance).

Well, it took a looooooong time to get to Oki. Along the way we had to stop twice for fuel. Once in Honolulu and once at Wake Island. Wake is so incredibly unincredible, no one would believe it. I'm going by 1966 now, I have no idea what it looks like at present. Nothing but completely flat, windy, hot coral and sand. There was a terminal building, a barracks, a fuel storage area and maybe a few palm trees.

There was another young Airman that was stationed there who was manning the desk in the terminal. He told me it was an 18 month tour on Wake. I can't possibly imagine doing that tour. I would have gone bug nuts.

I also noticed that the runway extended out into the water. I asked him about that and he said the larger jets had to wait for low tide to take off!

After about 2 hours we were on our way and later that same day flew over Iwo Jima.

And because of this sim, that startling memory came back in a huge rush of nostalgia. Thank you developers!

Has anyone else on this Forum ever been to Wake Island?

Thank you for indulging an old phart and another of his long ago memories. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
thx for the post.

Never been to Wake, but one of my lifelong dreams is to see the battlefields of the Pacific War

Worf101
02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Www, great post. Talk about BDS (Bad Duty Station). Boy you're really would have to draw the short one to get posted there. But in 1966 there were worse places to be.

Da Worfster

TC_Stele
02-09-2007, 09:02 AM
My dad was a WW2 ATC stationed in Florida. He always talked about the A-20 and the P-38 and how he wish he could have flown them. He washed out in basic training mainly due to eye sight.

I showed him the two planes in this sim and enjoyed watching me fly them. He's a bit too old to fly the sim and preferred to watch me fly them. From there, he talked about his experiences as an ATC and the planes that flew around the airbase.

Great story, and thanks for sharing.

woofiedog
02-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Here are a few photo's of Fort Foster, Kittery Maine... I took these photo's in the summer of 2005.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/100_1088.jpg
Battery Chapin at Fort Foster.

This battery was armed with two 3-inch RF pedestal-mount guns to protect the harbor mine field.
The earthen berm was removed in the 1950's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/100_1093.jpg
Battery Bohlen

This battery was armed with three 10-inch guns on disappearing carriages,
which once functioned as the harbor's long-range defense.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/100_1099.jpg
The Battery Commander's Station for Battery 205.

The top level was the Battery Commander's Observation Post.
The second level was the Battery Command Post.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/100_1094.jpg
The "Double" Mine Observation Tower behind Battery Bohlen.
Now public restrooms.

Lurch1962
02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... Hard luck postings. For 7 years in the '80s to early '90s I managed a weather station at Cape Parry, one of the old DEW Line (Distant Early Warning) stations. The DEW Line was begun under US and Canadian cooperation in the late '50s, at the height of the Cold War. Stations ran from western Alaska to Greenland, spaced about every 150km (90-100 miles). Cape Parry Coords: 70 degrees 10 minutes North, 124 degrees 40 minutes West.

Two months of sun-up in Summer, two months of no sun in Winter. No trees. Low temps in the mid -40C (wind chills in the -80s) range, a HOT day would be +20C. Far enough north that the Northern Lights could more properly be called the Southern Lights.

--Lurch--

Sergio_101
02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Wake Island AB.
Best weather on Earth.
Truly paradise.
I spent 7 days there in 1978.
We burnt a hole in a bleed air manifold
on the #2 engine and the flight crew
was inclined to cage the engine (WC-130E SN/61-2366).
We waited for 6 days for a C-5A to drop off
a new manifold (!).
Was truly paradise. Great fishing, no shortage
of war debris and markers.
I was NOT bored. I hated to leave.

As far as I know Wake has been abandoned by
the USAF.
I would love to return.

Wake is truly paradise.

Sergio