PDA

View Full Version : First day of ground school...

ElfunkoI
01-06-2004, 10:59 PM
...and the teacher discusses trim. All these causes of yaw in a climb from torque, the prop, etc. "In the [Cessna] 152, you'll barely even notice these things. But as you move to bigger aircraft, they will come into play." And I think of all the late war beasts we have ingame, and how the rudder deflection is practically the same as when I fly the Cessna at full power (well I exaggerate a little, but the early war birds, beasts compared to the little 152, really do have about the same rudder deflection). I know its a known issue, just sharing a story and hopefully adding a little fuel to the fire to get more realism. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ElfunkoI
01-06-2004, 10:59 PM
...and the teacher discusses trim. All these causes of yaw in a climb from torque, the prop, etc. "In the [Cessna] 152, you'll barely even notice these things. But as you move to bigger aircraft, they will come into play." And I think of all the late war beasts we have ingame, and how the rudder deflection is practically the same as when I fly the Cessna at full power (well I exaggerate a little, but the early war birds, beasts compared to the little 152, really do have about the same rudder deflection). I know its a known issue, just sharing a story and hopefully adding a little fuel to the fire to get more realism. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG7_Rall
01-07-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm confused...you talk about the first day of ground school but then reffer to when you where flying one? Have you flown with someone else who is licensed or have you flown prior to ground school...

Anyways, I have to disagree with the torque and trim not being noticable in the 152. I have plenty of experiance in this plane and although I do believe it isn't as obvious as in WWII birds or in bigger prop planes, the effects of torque are still present and the trim does have quite an effect.

Just my two cents...if you're new to flying, welcome to the real world of flight! It only gets better with time...

ElfunkoI
01-07-2004, 02:54 PM
I've had two flights in the 152 with an instructor. Trim is very useful, and even necessary, but rudder trim from torque....not something I noticed as a necessity. The aircraft wasn't going to yaw itself into a left bank during climbout if I didn't apply right rudder. Il2 is pretty similar to this in most early war birds, remembering off the top of my head. I'll go home and test this later today to be sure. The 109K will actually roll left on climbout at full power, so its somewhat right.