PDA

View Full Version : Spit (CW)

BigganD
05-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok! i have a quastion here, how can an spit cw turn so well at 8500meters +
I was flying an FW-A9, i come up to 850km and pulled up, he pulled up faster then me and i black out, But not he! he starts shooting. And it seems that the spit CW holds speed better then the TA-152 at turning on that alltitude.
Spit CW was for low alt right? and you need bigger wings if you want to turn good at high alt right?

BigganD
05-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok! i have a quastion here, how can an spit cw turn so well at 8500meters +
I was flying an FW-A9, i come up to 850km and pulled up, he pulled up faster then me and i black out, But not he! he starts shooting. And it seems that the spit CW holds speed better then the TA-152 at turning on that alltitude.
Spit CW was for low alt right? and you need bigger wings if you want to turn good at high alt right?

Harh
05-15-2004, 10:39 AM
You were playing online or vs computer? I mean computer never gets a blackout.

BigganD
05-15-2004, 10:48 AM
i was playing online

"Get close .. when he fills the entire windscreen ... then you can't possibly miss." Erich Hartmann

Harh
05-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Then it must be a defect in FM. Spit got in the game not so long ago, so it has not been tuned yet to good condition. Ta152 came from FW190, which is tuned (I remember there were some FM tweakings in patches for FB).

And I have one suspicion: Il2 initially was a game about Russian-German air struggle, which got itself mostly on low-mid altitudes. And, therefore, most FM tunings were made for low-to-mid altitudes. By the way, game still looks ugly from a 10K meters. So there must be general errors in high altitude flight models.

Sorry, it is not yet answering your question, that's just about high altitude dogfights sometimes might get wierd.

There are some threads about low altitude FM of FM190 and P51 (that means pple are unsure are the things OK), so what do you want from high altitude models then http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

k5054
05-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Instantaneous turn ability is basically related to stall speed. If the spit stalls slower than the Fw it can turn tighter, any height. probably.
Sustained turns are more difficult, and relate partly to power loading and partly to a combination of wing loading and aspect ratio which we can express as span loading, that's the weight divided by the wingspan. Spit V clipped span loading is about 210 lb/ft, A-9 280 lb/ft, Ta152H about 230.
Higher figure means worse turn.