PDA

View Full Version : FB/AEP/PF on an SLI machine?

vapors201
08-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Is anyone running this series on an SLI machine? I am considering buying one and want to make sure that there are not any issues lingering out there that I might not know about. If you are, take a second and drop me a line and let me know how your machine is performing.

Thanks!

Vapors

Fliegeroffizier
08-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Hopefully you'll get a reply from "Ming"...I know he is doing SLI with PF.

stansdds
08-09-2005, 05:14 PM
As far as I know, PF was not programmed with SLI in mind and I think there are some issues, but most can be overcome. If the search function works you can search for SLI. I seriously considered SLI or at least a motherboard that was capable of SLI, but I opted for a single card solution and have been pretty happy with my decision. Single card is a simpler installation both for hardware and software.

Kuoster
08-09-2005, 07:58 PM
How can a game just flat-out not support SLI? I mean SLI is the way for all the hardcore gamers who want the best performance. They get Dual SLI 7xxx, bla bla bla. PF is losing out on a whole section of simmers out there.

strykablue
08-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Vapors
I have an ASUS SLI board with 2 x 6800GT in SLI mode. PF AND FB all run with SLI fine. I would suggest SLI as nvidia is now really developing it.
At first I was dissapointed as the SLI driver didnt allow perfect water but the newer drivers are good with that now. I have always found that perfect water places so much demand on the graphics that the general quality of the game seems to suffer. I run FB without perfect water as even the 2x6800GT is pushed. On line I get between 40-60fps which you need for smooth screen play.
I think SLI offers about 20% improvement in frames but well worth it when you need all you can get in this game. The option is to get the new 7800gtx and then get another later but 2x6800gt is financially the best.
Put it this way I am happy with SLI and runs well now, all the newer driver upgrades are good and nVidia is on a roll. The latest driver offer SLI anti aliasing at 8 and 16x but even my system cant handle that with this game. Get the best you can afford, you need all the power you can get I run 1280 x 1024 at 75mhz, 4xAA 4xAF, Trackir 3 Pro.
Have been playing Battlefield 2 on line, fantastic game and graphics are awesome, better than IL2 and get 70fps without ever and problems, think FB is too hungry when you see BF2 and the frame rates it gets.
PS SLI needs about a 480-500 psu
Cheers
WTE_Stryka http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

stansdds
08-10-2005, 03:49 AM
How can a game just flat-out not support SLI?
When IL2, Aces Expansion Pack and even Pacific Fighters were developed, SLI was not around. The first SLI systems used standard PCI slots and the old Voodoo graphics cards. Graphics card technology improved and the advent of AGP spelled the end of SLI. It was not until about a year ago that SLI was re-introduced on the new PCI Express motherboards. By this time, Pacific Fighters was already gold and in the packaging stage. As drivers have improved, more and more games can take advantage of SLI.

vapors201
08-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the excellent replies! Good info here. I am going to buy in November, so it should be pretty interesting how things are shaping up then.

What brands of machine did you go with or did you build your own?

Vapors

Banger2004
08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Been building my own now since 1998, never any real problems, at least I get all the parts I want put into the machine.

Like strykablue I run SLI, but with 2 6600gts, a Gigabyte mobo, and a 3200 Athlon 64. Runs PF, AEP etc absolutely fine on excellent settings, with AA and AF on (about 8 and 8 I think, can't be sure). Like strykablue Perfect mode is a little too much, I get some slight stuttering, and definitely some slowdown when online.

But running in excellent mode at all times the game is a real looker anyhow, and extremely playable either on or offline. Go for it, as I find others games such as Half-Life 2, Brothers In Arms, Colin McRae's Rally etc run beautifully.

By the way, I like to run my games at 1600*1200 all the time.

By the time November comes 6800 Ultras should be a bit cheaper, but still very capable, and teamed up with a good processor could make a pretty good rig. Have fun.

Jumoschwanz
08-10-2005, 03:27 PM
This is always funny for me. I run 1200X1600 in PERFECT mode with an old Nforce2, 32-bit mother board, a gig of ram and a 32-bit Athlon xp processor. My big secret? I have the AGP version of ATIs X850XT Platinum edition.

I get 38 fps on the BLack Death track, 59fps on the Beau-torp track, and alway run smooth as silk online. The water does look great.

Tom's hardware ran the latest Asus Sli MB with the PCI express version of my video card, a gig of ram, and a Athlon64 4000, and got a whole 6 more fps than me on the same tracks, really worth all the cost huh?

If you are going to build a new rig, I would wait longer than this November, maybe build one in a year, when the new stuff will really show a worthwhile improvement for all the money you will spend on it.

Anyone with a late P4, or AMD athlon rig does not need a whole new rig to run High res and perfect settngs, all you need is the top of the line AGP card that you can buy, preferable the X850XT Pe, as it has the best QUALITY image you can get right now.

S!

Jumoschwanz

Grue_
08-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Strykablue, whay CPU do you have?

Jumoschwanz, doesn't the v3.0 pixel shader support on the nVidia cards give better visual representation of water (with performance hit)?

I'm upgrading my nForce2/9800 Pro/AMD 3200 rig soon and I'm thinking of getting a AMD X2 with a nVidia 7800 card with the intention of buying another one cheap when it's near the end of line.

Is this a good idea?

dodgenath
08-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Hi,
SLI runs fantastic when i tested it just the other night using my brothers 6800GT, it basically doubled (90% better) in all tests i ran, although water-3 didn't work too well at all, had masive water corruption, but on perfect mode water-2, 1600*1200 4aa 16af i was getting over 40fps on a carrier take-off with plenty going on. Can't wait for prices to drop!

Jumoschwanz
08-11-2005, 08:28 AM
X850XT Pe, 1200x1600 on Perfect. How does the water look?

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/3458/grab00024pp.jpg

When I looked up at the sky, you can see the max framerate is 122. Just cruising around the Pacific Islands map level I was getting 50-60. When I went low over the trees and water it was in the thirties. Pretty dam good huh?

And on full-real type servers this card is a big asset. Compared to the 9800pro it is much easier to spot or track a foe against the ground, and much easier to spot dots in the distance. If performance in combat is important, then this card is a huge advantage over a low end card!
On any directX9 card that can handle perfect mode,the water looks fine. But the X850XT is lauded on many hardware forums as having the best overall image quality. The difference between a 9800 series and the X850XT has to be seen to be believed.

An SLI rig with two cards will only show around a 90% improvement over a single card if it has the very top-end nvidia cards in it. With any of the one-step-down cards, there is no improvement over a top-end single card IN PACIFIC FIGHTERS at 1200X1600 in PERFECT MODE.
There might be improvements for other games, but that is for another forum.

In summary, if you have a late-model 32-bit rig, all you might need to run the fps of the latest 64 bit rigs, is the VIDEO CARD CHIPSET from those latest rigs.

I spent a lot of money for my X850XTPe, but if I would have spent the money for the same card, PLUS the money for a whole new rig, it would have been a waste as my fps would only have improved 5-10 fps, and that is not enough for $1000-$2000 dollars!

Wait a year, when they get the dual-core stuff sorted out, and the next-gen ATI cards are out that will double your framerates with ONE CARD!

If you do what the guys above have done, you will have a rig no better than my old rig, and when Bob comes out, you will be wondering about a new rig to run it!

I was running PF smoothly at 1200X1600 on a AMD1333mhz Thunderbird, with a GF3ti500, and it is supposed to be an accomplishment to run the same settings on an SLI rig?

Good Luck

Jumoschwanz

pauldun171
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
SLI? If I had a bigger monitor I'd consider it,
but my lowly x800xl serves me just fine.

Black Death
With a Stock 3800+ and stock x800xl
Perfect and 4xAA and 4 x Aniso.

1024 x 768
Average 40 Max 114 min 4
1152 x 864
Average 35 Max 92 min 11
1280 x 960
Average 31 Max 93 min 4
1600 x 1200
Average 22 Max 92 min 2

Jumoschwanz
08-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Albatron Nforce2/AMD Athlonxp3200-32-bit/1gigKingstonDDR400/X850XT Platinum edition,AGP version!

Monitor is a Dell 2001fp, 20.1" LCD, so monitor size doesn't mean a thing!

Black Death @ 1200X1600, Perfect mode, Average fps=33,Max=71,min=2

I also ran a track I made when I flew a long mission on the deck on the Spit_vs_109 server. During this mission I shot out three aaa installation, one aircraft on the ground, and three aircraft over water, including one that was attacking ships with aaa. During this online mission I averaged 38 fps, with the same settings as above.

You can build a rig like mine for peanuts compared to the latest top-end SLI rigs, and for the money the performace they give you is a disgrace. Most of it is just marketing to get the consumer to ante-up another bundle of cash for the computer industry. Learn how to recognize REAL breakthroughs in performance and technology before you spend your money, unless you are some rich guy to which money is nothing then it matters not.
I am just trying to save the average Joe, from spending big, big bucks on a little, little improvement.

Jumoschwanz

lbhskier37
08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
There is no real reason right now to get a 6XXX sli, unless you already have a 6800 Ultra and just need the second card to finish the package. The 7800GT will beat a 6800Ultra setup 90% of the time with one card. If I were in the market for a card today, I would get a single 6800GT though, for well under $300 you get a card that can play this game will everything cranked. The boost you get for going any higher is not worth the $$ IMHO, plus I'm sure BoB when it finally comes out with bring even SLI 7800GTXs to their knees. It is never smart to buy hardware for future games. Today hardware advances too fast, it would be like buying a bunch of state of the art 109 Ds in 1938 to be ready for the normandy invasion in 1944.

stansdds
08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
I have a GF6800 Ultra PCIExpress card. It works well, but I am sure the new 7800's outclass it in every respect. If I had to do it again, I think I would just get a 6800 GT and maybe overclock it a little. I think such a card can probably get 90% of the performance of the 6800 Ultra, but at much less cost.

TheJoyStick
08-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I have an SLI rig with dual 6800Gts, runs FBAEPPF perfectly.

strykablue
08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Guys
Good to read the feedback. Does seem SLI isn't there yet but is getting better all the time.

One thing seems to be missed. Perfect water is only PERFECT on the latest nVidia cards that support shader 3.0 as mentioned above. PERFECT water takes a huge chunk out of the frame rate, so those guys showing the ATI card results aren't running perfect water. Perfect water has higher more detailed waves and whitecaps.

Also my SLI rig with one card runs 5000 on the latest 3D tests, nearly 9000 in SLI mode! I think this is a case of FB PF not optimising the SLI rather than the card as BF2 runs amazing.!

dodgenath
08-15-2005, 02:27 AM
SLI works fine, i got nearly double in my last test, only water=3 didn't work too well with graphics errors. But definately worth it in my opinion

strykablue
08-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Dodgenath
The graphics error with water 3 is fixed in the latest drivers, that might be the error.

strykablue
08-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Also....I re-read Jumoshwanz reply and image above...a bit of clarification here.
What do we call perfect or excellent, maybe I am being to particular. A few things about Jumoshwantz results:
My SLI rig gets average 50-55 depending on arena fps not 42 as shown in the image, SLI uses water=3 not water=2 that is only available an ATI card, My average frame rate is based on action and many planes, looking down at the water I get 50fps, all on highest settings, 4xAA 4xAF 1280x1024 on LCD monitor, run TS and TRackIR at same time.
Looking at the sky means nothing, just shows the refresh rate of the monitor I'd say thats a significant improvement on Jumoshwanz, obviously I am a bit hard on my system, but given this comparison with your rig SLI rocks!
With the cost comparison, lets be fair, there;'s mnot $1000-$2000 extra if you have to by a new rig anyway, the additional cost for SLI is only a few hundred dollars and you would be silly not to go for it just to allow for the future update as its the way its going. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

strykablue
08-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Also....I re-read Jumoshwanz reply and image above...a bit of clarification here.
What do we call perfect or excellent, maybe I am being to particular. A few things about Jumoshwantz results:
My SLI rig gets average 50-55 depending on arena fps not 42 as shown in the image, SLI uses water=3 not water=2 that is only available an ATI card, My average frame rate is based on action and many planes, looking down at the water I get 50fps, all on highest settings, 4xAA 4xAF 1280x1024 on LCD monitor, run TS and TRackIR at same time.
Looking at the sky means nothing, just shows the refresh rate of the monitor I'd say thats a significant improvement on Jumoshwanz, obviously I am a bit hard on my system, but given this comparison with your rig SLI rocks!
With the cost comparison, lets be fair, there;'s not $1000-$2000 extra if you have to by a new rig anyway, the additional cost for SLI is only a few hundred dollars and you would be silly not to go for it just to allow for the future update as its the way its going. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JunkoIfurita
08-16-2005, 01:04 AM
A pair of 7800GTXs in SLI will give you 60+ fps staring straight at the waves in water=3 - be sure.

Well, if you've got the system to match them, anway. I've just upgraded (and decided to go the whole hog) to this:

ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe Mobo
2GB Kingmax 533Mhz DDR2
Intel P4 3.79GHz Extreme Edition (1066FSB)
2* Leadtek Winfast 7800GTX in SLI

The beauty of an ASUS P4 board for SLI is a) you don't need a 550W power supply - both cards are powered by a single power connector above the primary card. As opposed to plugging two separate power connectors to the cards themselves.

b) Software selection of display mode - no playing with jumpers or bios to set yourself to 1*16x or 2*8x. Maximum compatibility.

c) You get SATAII support, which is always a bonus.

Anyway, I still play with water=2 only online - water=3 is just too **** distracting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

----

BigC208
08-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey Junkofurita can you post some screenshots please. Interested in your setup.

cajun16
08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Been runnng SLI on my Windows XP Home Edition for almost 8 months and have had no problems with this game. Graphics are great, but as you said, game does not support SLI. Shame it doesn't....