PDA

View Full Version : Who else. Doesn't care if they can land?

JSG72
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Flew IL2 whatever for 7 yrs now.

All offline.

Making up. As true to life, as I can.(Down to Squadrons/colourschemes/experience and No Icons/cockpit only missions.

However. It is a "Red letter" mission If I "Save track". That includes a landing back at whatever base.

I even, count crash lands as successful?

Flying Blue. All the time. I try to put this down to. "what it was like in the reality of flying Blue 1944-45.

Should I be trying harder to acheive Flying Greatness?

Or should I be Trying to re-enact the situation of many a Tyro? During this period of WW2? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VW-IceFire
05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
I definitely care if I land. But offline...not so much. Will hit the end of the mission button whenever it suits me. Online...successfully starting, performing, and completing the mission is the most satisfying. Crash landing in the middle of a field if I have to...but landing back at base is the best. Riddled with holes, maybe one engine functioning, that only makes the landing that much more dramatic.

M2morris
05-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Man, my priorty personally when I found this sim was to teach myself to take-off, fly and land. I never thought I would want to do anything until I was able to do that.

leitmotiv
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Depends on the person. I went into this IL-2 racket full immersion---and discovered I learned to "fly" much faster than I learned to takeoff and land. So I compromised with my ability and centered on being the best of all possible virtual fighter pilots while trying to sort out my other essentials. After about a year of IL-2 I was landing OK, but my takeoffs were appalling. Now, after four years of IL-2 and FS9/X and several others, I am barely competent at takeoffs---depends on the airplane. Landings are fine. Everything else is OK since I have been "grounded" for months. Like with real pilots, amazing how much skill you lose when you don't practice. My advice, don't sweat it. Torque is phonied up in IL-2 (full throttle takeoffs with beasts like Fw 190As!---try this in a FS9 190A---you'll end up in the airfield fence!)---this isn't real flying. Stick to your comfort level and advance at your own speed. You have no war to win, and your mistakes won't kill you.

SeaFireLIV
05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I fly take off and land quite regularly, but if a mission is long and relatively uneventful, I will quit once I reach the border to friendly lands, unless damaged.

But 70% of the time I like to complete a mission by landing, taxiing to a park area and switching off the engine. After an eventful mission it always feels good.

Choctaw111
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I have to land. The mission for me is not over until then. I get a satisfaction out it.

DaddyAck
05-21-2008, 09:24 PM
<S>

To me it is all about being real. Every sortie I lift, I also will try to bring my bird home again. I generally do not like to fly with a disposeable aircraft mentality.

Schwarz.13
05-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I always try to land - for me it's the most satisfying part.

I always taxi over to dispersal too, where i like to imagine my Erste Wart running up to congratulate me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

WOLFMondo
05-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Will always land if I can.

BWaltteri
05-22-2008, 01:51 AM
It's not so big deal flying offline, but generally the more realism you can cope with the bigger your pleasure.

But sometimes the squadron mates are so dumb that you want to save them with hitting the end mission key.

tragentsmith
05-22-2008, 02:06 AM
I personnaly always try to save the bird, but the pilots life come first. If I can't bring back my 110 to the base, I'll belly land. If I can't belly land, well, I better jump http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gizmo60
05-22-2008, 05:19 AM
I always like to park my kite at the end of a mission. Presuming of coarse I've still got my undercarriage to do it with.

In the beginning it was very frustrating to complete a mission and then become a fireball on the runway.

Billy_BigBoy
05-22-2008, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Schwarz.13:

Agree! Nothing gives me more satisfaction then locating the airfield, lining up and gently (more or less) putting her down after a successful (or not so successful) mission.
Altough it is one of the more stressful events of a mission, it still gives me some kind of relaxment.

Feathered_IV
05-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Billy_BigBoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by Schwarz.13:

Agree! Nothing gives me more satisfaction then locating the airfield, lining up and gently (more or less) putting her down after a successful (or not so successful) mission.
Altough it is one of the more stressful events of a mission, it still gives me some kind of relaxment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Landing is always a priority. On and offline.

DKoor
05-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Offline/online... I always try to land http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .
Especially rocks if I have to land on a carrier, those things are always fun.
In offline campaigns I actually have to land most of the times because of no instant success rule (every skill setting on).
Sometimes crazy things are happening... I remember once when I was in process of landing with an I-153, Bf-109E was on my tail... I haven't realized that. Just when my gears touched the ground, I saw AAA starting to fire... I know something was going on, and saw this 109 which followed me to my base... now with airplane already on ground and 109 doing a loop for another run at me, I had no option but to hide behind the control tower, so I taxiied there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif !
And just as I was behind the tower he started to shoot... tower soaked all bullets, and in the process AAA saw the 109's wing!
One heck of a mission!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

DKoor
05-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Eh eh... I found that I-153 hiding track in my old track folder...

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-dda2ad4f.html

Insanity http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif .

BrotherVoodoo
05-22-2008, 07:29 AM
I have to land. The mission for me is not over until then. I get a satisfaction out it.

+1 There is nothing like sipping on a cool one with your wingman after a good mission. For me landing a crippled bird is more satisfying the fight.

Lubcke
05-22-2008, 07:31 AM
if you cant land, you cant fly, because off you are not in control of your aircraft,
and that means, you are NOOB!

R_Target
05-22-2008, 08:21 AM
If I'm pressed for time, I'll bugout and hit refly. If not, I'll fly back to base and land. Carrier landings with massive battle damage are particularly rewarding.

Sometimes I'll intentionally practice my belly-landing or ditching skillz, or roll the dice by trying to bring it down on Maddox Pogo-Turfİ.

PBNA-Boosher
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
There are some times, in particularly heavy combat in online COOPs, where I feel I should keep fighting just so my friends can get away. If I die, or get captured in the process and they make it home, that's even more rewarding to me than if we all headed home and some were shot down along the way.

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I try to land at all times if given time and opportunity. If my Wife shows up in a particularly alluring garment, landing suddenly isn't so important.

Also, with the suicide mentality permeating the game at seemingly all-time high levels, there are some circumstances where I'll bail and refly just to get at the guy who followed me 30km back to base in a smoking crate only to try to sleuce me on final. I'll do that especially if I have an airstart...hehe.

WeedEater9p
05-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I just find the nearest road...

Billy_BigBoy
05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
If my Wife shows up in a particularly alluring garment, landing suddenly isn't so important.

There you have a point http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

blairgowrie
05-22-2008, 01:14 PM
If I am doing coops with my squad we generally don't land. As soon as everyone is disengaged and RTB, we start another coop. That way we get a lot more coops in. Usually we fly a dogfight map for an hour and half before coops and complete all landings if we survive.

JSG72
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I guess the reason, I posted this thread

Was more to find out.

If folks flew missions to simulate Ariel combats.

Or. If we think we could actually master Flying Full missions, under Wartime conditions.

I find the the first statement much more gratifying. With the reasoning that. Depending on a Wartime pilots posting. Ultimately decided what missions were flown.
With many pilots being either, happy or frustrated. That they never had to engage an enemy aircraft. And so they flew around flying and landing.With nothing much more to do.

Now. As I bought this Sim as a CFS.(As advertised). That is exactly what I required. As ariel combat Kills/Tactics/performance/firepower are things that interest me. I feel I don't need to record the safely back home bit. I can land my Rig most of the time. It just seems an enormous amount of time is lost in the actual process. When I could be reflying and maybes trying to correct a situation that had occured during a mission. I am not, a Wartime or R.L. pilot and never will/could be.
Flying Online to me. Even in Coops will never simulate Wartime conditions. Quite simply because we cannot get killed.We always can come back.
Anyone just fly "Milkruns"? I doubt it. Thats what FSX is for IMHO. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

K_Freddie
05-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm so bored of landing that my current 'mission' is to land on one wheel, and keep it there until my speed drops.

I've only managed to do this once - Sorry fans.. no track available http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Phas3e
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
One of the best missions I ever flew online I never made the target, it was all about the landing.
halfway to the target in an SBD I was bounced by a Zero which put a couple of canon shells in my wing root andsprayed me with mg rounds, but I set him alight in the same pass as the rear gunner.
I ditched my bomb and turned for home, a couple of people thought it odd I didnt carry on but I was proved right when the carrier came into site and my engine had that whistle noise coming on pretty strong. I managed to catch the 3rd wire as the props were basically windmilling, and felt very satisfied.

RockyAlexander
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
In FMB I'll often set up enemy formations zigzagging around the map without any regard to where they'll be at any given time. Then I'll run my own squadrons through the enemy lines of travel, not knowing if I'll actually encounter the enemy or not. Some missions do indeed turn out to be milkruns but there's an added sense of excitement in not knowing for certain if there will be air-to-air action. When there is, it's that much more satisfying.
I always attempt to land my bird regardless.

zardozid
05-23-2008, 02:03 AM
I alway practice landing at least once a session...

What I mean is that if I'm flying a bunch of "off-line" single missions I will usually just end the game without landing whenever I get tired of the sortie...but I always try to practice landing my ride at least once a day/session, especially if I'm not practiced on a particular aeroplane...

DKoor
05-23-2008, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Billy_BigBoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
If my Wife shows up in a particularly alluring garment, landing suddenly isn't so important.

There you have a point http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>QFT

Phil_K
05-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Before I got comfortable with landing, I always used to land, especially if I had a damaged plane and there was a greater challenge.

Nowadays I can't help being a bit lacksadaisical about landing. My favourite is landing an SBD or F4F on a carrier, where I'll follow an AI from just behind and above, and then try and put down at exactly the same time as him by leapfrogging onto the wires in front.

So I suppose I'm still keen on landing, but less concerned about actually surviving the landing......

Tully__
05-23-2008, 08:41 AM
I like to land.

usrusr
05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
(@offline) Landing is mandatory, as long as the plane is in any way capable of getting to a friendly airfield, or a patch of "pogogreen", if that's the only way. I'm certainly taking more risks in simulated combat than a real pilot would do, so why would i not take equally high risks in simulated landing? So:

Landing is mandatory, a clean landing is "nice to have". I will hit "escape" before an AI rams my fuselage that is lying in the middle of the runway, but not before putting it in that place.

I will sometimes divert from that rule if i got an exceptional intermediate result (that is: before landing) in a very difficult mission, but only if the plane has suffered enough damage to justify jumping. But often i will do the gamble and attempt to land none the less, for added feeling of achievement in case the landing turns out to be of the nonlethal kind.

As many have said it before: Running away from a plane the second before it bursts into flames because you made it "gracefully crash" at your home base with only throttle and rudder still working (at insane speed, to keep the nose up) feels more rewarding than 10 perfect three-point touchdowns.

halfcool
05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
I find once I land after a successful mission I feel like flying still so I'll take off again, do something stupid and crash in the end. So... I guess that makes my opinion worthless haha.

ImMoreBetter
05-23-2008, 03:29 PM
What I do depends on my mood.

Sometimes I find an enemy field and play around in their flak.

Recently, I've been trying to land my missions. Especially after taking a fair bit of damage.

nealn
05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
JSG
Very interesting question. Like you I have flown mostly off line for a number of years. As I have many other commitments, (wife, kids, work, exercise) and flying time is limited, I would often quit after the dogfighting or bombing run was over. Lately though I have been concentrating more on getting my crate back to base and landing successfully. I must say it adds quite a bit to the immersion of this sim and can be quite challenging. Particuarly if you have caught a few bullets or cannon shells.

Neal

JSG72
05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
That is my point exactly Neal.

It is gratifying to land "Your Crate".(And that is how many pilots referred to their aircraft. (Not knowing which mark or model they were flying). And only to be too pleased to have survived another mission.
However! We don't all live on Airfields/Aircraft carriers. and certainly are not living with the anxieties encountered by Wartime airmen.So why pretend we are?
IMHO. it is only the fighting part that is best part simulated. I.E. The reason we have so many possible adversaries.
Ok. We! May have to take off to intercept. Once the foe have been encountered and beaten/ Or have won.
Surely. Depending on outcome.... And because we can? We may want to try again. As soon as possible.
This may sound like the ramblings of an Arcade Player. But nothing could be farther from the truth. We have all died a thousand times. So why should we prelong the experience. By wasting valuable Mission time by spending more of our Freetime trying to find an Airfield/Carrier.to land on.

There is no Wartime pressure on us? However as the option is their. I agree with all posters who express, with their commitment to "Complete" a mission. But it aint. Wartime. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

mortoma
05-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I usually do but if I am trying to fly a few "quicky" missions I might not. Mostly because I know I can land anything in the sim successfully and I also used to be a RL GA pilot for a few years and still hold a PP license. So landing, although nice is not that big of a deal. I probably do about 90% of the time.

M_Gunz
05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
It strikes me that due to limited time to play there may be those who don't land yet
only play full-switch and that's okay too. The thought is a bit perverse but there it is.

Mercanario
05-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Pride makes me want to do a good landing each time i fly..however.. im curently playing a Polish offline campaign flying the P.11c, not a popular aircraft `coz its old, slow and poorly armed, but boy can it turn...but its also a complete b******er to land.

In 8 missions ive , er, crashlanded 7 times http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif