PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tuition/advice on how to use Prop Pitch on P-47...total novice here!

Mysticpuma2003
06-20-2005, 02:14 AM
Guys, I've flown FB now for years, but have just decided to get my hands dirty on the subject of prop pitch. As I pretty much exclusively fly the P-47 (mainly D-27), I'm looking for a little help on starting to use the prop pitch effectively. I'd like to point out, that at this moment all I have done is look at the setting, not even applied it, because I'm not sure how to use it.

So, could I ask anyone with knowledge on this beast to enlighten me as to it's effective use. Thanks for your time...and patience.

BTW I'm using an X-52 so I have plenty of buttons to play with!

Cheers, Neil.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
06-20-2005, 05:59 AM
using prop pitch on the P47 is fairly easy unlike on planes like bf109...

just keep it simple.

-on take off 100% pitch
-i use for cruising between 75-85% pitch and rads open to keep the engine cool for combat, just play with the throttle for speed changes.
-In combat i sometimes go to 100% pitch -110% throttle but that is more for out acceleration or in a zoom climb to get high rpm

- overal in combat prop pitch ranges from 80-100 pitch, just play around with it there is not always a need to go 100% pitch as you in jug will/must have a high entry speed when going into combat.

-Most important is DIVING, when using the 100% pitch and lower the throttle can mean that the prop pitch will work as an airbrake so when you dive and want to get the most of the strongest point of the Jug is lower your propitch so you accelerate in a dive faster, i mostly use about 70% pitch and full throttle in that way you will easy outdive any other LW propplane

-For landing as discribed above just use high prop pitch input and low throttle setting to make pitch work as a brake

Mysticpuma2003
06-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback on this, meant to actually post this in GD, so sorry Oleg, but KGr.HH-Sunburst, thanks for your input....invaluable.

F19_Ob
06-20-2005, 11:34 AM
From 5000m you will outdive any 109 even without using proppitch and reach speeds up to 1000km/h wich is atleast 100km/h faster than the 109 wich breaks at880-890km/h.

Can be good to know
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Takata_
06-20-2005, 03:57 PM
If you ever run out of fuel and want to make a deadstick landing or a belly landing, set it to zero pitch when you glide. The propeller will stop turning and won't try to re-start, wilch is bad at low alt.

Takata

Maple_Tiger
06-20-2005, 07:28 PM
You don't realy change the prop pitch on CPS planes. All your doing is setting the governor to a certain RPM setting. Once set, the governor attemps to maintane the desired RPM.

TAGERT.
06-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by F19_Ob:
From 5000m you will outdive any 109 even without using proppitch and reach speeds up to 1000km/h wich is atleast 100km/h faster than the 109 wich breaks at880-890km/h.

Can be good to know
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif True, as far as *top* speed goes in a dive.. but how fast you get fast (aka acceleration) is another factor, and the point of all this is it can be affected by playing wiht prop pitch settings, i.e. better acceleration to get you to that top speed faster

Maple_Tiger
06-21-2005, 04:45 AM
Then your talking about combat RPM. This mayb be bewteen 2700 and 3000 RPM. You can't set the RPM past combat RPM. That said, you don't fly around at comabt RPM either as it uses up more fuel and creates more heat.

Basicaly, when you go into a dive, you could set the RPM to 90-95% and 100%(Combat RPM) when you zoom back up.