PDA

View Full Version : Taking down the lion in its den

InfectiousDust
05-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Sneaking into the enemy's ports is an ominous task. The potential for reward is often more than made up for in the peril involved. But not always...

A couple of patrols back I was able to sneak into Scapa Flow and sink a Fiji light cruiser at 500m with a salvo of three torpedoes. She barely saw it coming. Now out on my 12th patrol, in December of 1940, I decided to once again risk the narrow channel of Scapa Flow and all of its defenders to see what it was that I might find. I waited west of the port until it was dark, and proceeded in. Avoiding the patrols of several corvettes and destroyers, I slowly made my way up into the middle of the channel and raised the periscope on my type IX-B U-boat. Alas, it was too dark to make out any targets, so I lowered my periscope, ordered my engines to stop, and simply waited beneath the waves for the crack of dawn. My crew and I waited quietly. The sub seemed to be filled with the anxiety of the entire crew for the duration of our wait. Finally at 6:30am I again raised my periscope, and there she was: a King George V Battleship 4500 m out and slightly to starboard, her broadside completely exposed! Loading a spread a 4 torpedoes aimed to detonate under the keel, I went in for the kill. At 1000m I fired all torpedoes, praying that the early morning light would obscure the trails of my eels right beneath the oblivious and sleepy crew of the warship. Two T1's streamed towards the ship, followed by two stealthy T2's. Approximately 100m out from the target, one of my T2's detonated prematurely. I cursed violently but knew that the two T1's were already much closer to the battleship. Looking at my stopwatch, a grim smile creased my face: 5 seconds! My eyes grew wide as I stared out at the imposing figure of the battleship before me. Just as time expired on the watch, I heard the distinct boom of an exploding torpedo, followed by the sight of an enormous geyser of water reaching up like fingers across the aft of the battleship and completely enveloping it. Less than a second later, the second T1 successfully detonated slightly aft of the first, producing similar results. The captain of the battleship ordered engines ahead flank, but it was too late. There was no way he could evade the last T2 torpedo, which released its explosive payload slightly aft of the ships bow, and under the keel. My crew and I cheered with excitement as the ship listed heavily, and than began to sink quickly. It seemed that the ship would still sink upright however, and I quickly recalled that we were in a relatively shallow port. The ship slammed violently into the bottom of the bay, and there it would remain. I had taken down the lion within it's very den.

Now if you€ll all excuse me, I€ve gotta get the hell out of here!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Happy hunting.

Twelvefield
05-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Great shot! You are one lucky S.O.B.!

Dazzo1987
05-22-2005, 01:48 PM
a very good read....might try it myself http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

InfectiousDust
05-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks!

Has anyone else had luck with taking down battleships? They're juicy targets, but seem to be very hard to find!

gabriel_cd
05-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Did you get the "Enemy unit destroyed!" message? If not, you will not get credit for the sinking. It happened to me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Praetorian_Elite
05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
After reading some posts about it, I might just plan a trip into the port. I looked at map editor and it listed a battleship as being docked there. Yesterday, it listed two battleships as being docked there.

InfectiousDust
05-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by gabriel_cd:
Did you get the "Enemy unit destroyed!" message? If not, you will not get credit for the sinking. It happened to me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
LOL, yeah, I definitely made sure it registerd as a kill. There's no way I'm not getting credit for that one!

Originally posted by Praetorian_Elite:
After reading some posts about it, I might just plan a trip into the port. I looked at map editor and it listed a battleship as being docked there. Yesterday, it listed two battleships as being docked there.
I've heard that you can look up the locations of battleships, but the one I found was just by pure luck. Taking two battleships in one port would be a pretty nice haul!

What about those task forces I've seen reported on the map a couple of times? What can we expect to find in a task force?

RedTerex
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Well versed IDust and as much exitement crammed into such a comparativly small paragraph that would make Alistair McClean a wee bit er..haha..you know..a tad green around the gills as it were !

I myself havent sunk A BB in a campaign yet, I really must spend more hours on SHIII.

InfectiousDust
05-23-2005, 02:44 AM
LOL, thanks! I was never one for long speaches. It might have something to do with my short attention span, but who knows. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

There aren't many games out there where you can recall your gaming achievements as if they were stories of pride. SH3 is pretty special that way. This is what a sim is all about!

cueceleches
05-23-2005, 03:19 AM
Nice story! I´ve already been into Scapa a few times, but never encountered anything worth my valuable torps. Just the defending DDs and corvettes, but nothing bigger.

Trydan
05-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Hey, a KG-V class. Nice. I've snuck into Scapa several times now, but only once did I find the port full of major ships - and then it really was full: An aircraft carrier and two cruisers. I sank the carrier, and one of the cruisers, but the other one disappeared in the fog, and I couldn't find it again, so I had to beat a retreat. Still - I agree - all really exciting stuff!

Slush69
05-23-2005, 04:18 AM
Weeeeell ...

The things is that harbour raids just don't work as they should right now. It's pretty easy to sneak into Scapa Flow, but once you're there things get weird.

If you miss that big battle ship - or get spotted - it accelerates like a Ferrari and steams out of harms way before you kan say "Kimi Raikonnen".

In reality it would take hours to start the engines and acceleration to top speed takes way longer.

cheers/slush

Pappy44_6
05-23-2005, 07:13 AM
arg...this is really frustrating...I have the list of dates that cap ships are supposed to be in there, and still...nothing...I will keep trying!

The_Third_Half
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
I snuck into the Boston Harbour last night. No military vessels ; However i did find 5 Juicy, stationary, passenger liners. Sank them..
Was like ok i'm out here, and started to speed off as i was leaving the harbour early morning. Still fairly dark, but won't be for long, Full ahead surface. Lets get out of this fish-barrel....

InfectiousDust
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Slush69:
Weeeeell ...

The things is that harbour raids just don't work as they should right now. It's pretty easy to sneak into Scapa Flow, but once you're there things get weird.

If you miss that big battle ship - or get spotted - it accelerates like a Ferrari and steams out of harms way before you kan say "Kimi Raikonnen".

In reality it would take hours to start the engines and acceleration to top speed takes way longer.

cheers/slush

Well I don't know what year you're at, but it wasn't that easy to get into Scapa Flow for me. The place was crawling with patrols!

To be honest, I like the way ships respond to torpedoes. I know ships cannot accelerate that fast from a standstill, but I'm actually glad they do. The way it is now, it's very rewarding to sink a large ship after quietly crawling in undetected, keeping the pariscope down as much as possible, and releasing torpedoes close enough that avoidance is impossible. It lends a great deal of intensity to the game.

Originally posted by The_Third_Half:
I snuck into the Boston Harbour last night. No military vessels ; However i did find 5 Juicy, stationary, passenger liners. Sank them..
Was like ok i'm out here, and started to speed off as i was leaving the harbour early morning. Still fairly dark, but won't be for long, Full ahead surface. Lets get out of this fish-barrel....

5 passanger liners?! And you sank them all?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif That's an amazing haul! What was your final patrol tonnage?

alanschu
05-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Boston Harbour?

You must be using World Mod aren't you?

The_Third_Half
05-23-2005, 02:19 PM
I got around 122K tons for the liners, plus another 16-20K enroute to east coast.
Realistic ? no. I was hoping for a couple of military targets.

oh BTW, those B24's , OMG. I was watching them in external view, they actually will release in mid-turn to get a " SPread effect" with thier charges instead of striaght path bombing runs only. With 2 of them dropping and flinging charges, the ocean surface looked like a pond in a rain storm !!
Luckily, radar picks them up in just enough time to dive; but the Harbour there is very shallow. Under 60 meters from the continental shelf all the way into the New bedford/Boston ports.

The_Third_Half
05-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Yes i'm using world mod.

KorvKpt
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Sinking the "Big Ones" isn't THAT hard if you figure out when to sneak into harbor:

E.g., make sure to be in Scapa Flow at the following dates:

4.October 1939 - 14. October 1939 -> Royal Oak
11.December 1940 - 31.December 1940 (alternative: 3.February 1942 - 28.February 1942) -> King George V.

Or visit Loch Ewe:
1.November 1939 bis 5.January 1940 -> Nelson

Happy hunting!

twistedpretzel
05-23-2005, 05:39 PM
I saw a Dido and a Fiji cruising along just east of ireland once, they were going 31, so of course i try to catch up on the surface, they see me, take evasive action, i dive, fire off some torpedos, miss, and they got away. Kinda blew.

InfectiousDust
05-23-2005, 05:41 PM
So how about those task forces? Has anyone engaged one? I'm wondering if we could find a battleship there.

alanschu
05-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I bumped into a task force with Two Nelsons once. Best I could do was cripple one though.

I also had a task force with a single Revenge....he wasn't as lucky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

KorvKpt
05-23-2005, 05:43 PM
There's a chance of a task force containing a battleship. It's defined via a certain *.cfg- file... if I only knew which one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif