PDA

View Full Version : new hdd not found, help please

Arms1
05-14-2004, 01:46 PM
hi folks, need your help again. just bought a new sata hd and unfortunately it isnt being recognized so heres what i have done and planned to do according to the instructions i was given at the computer store.
1; what i planned to do: install sata drive and then ghost image from current drive (ide) to the new one
2; what i did: installed sata driver to old hd, then plugged in sata drive and connected cable to sata1 on my nf7sv2 board
3; whats (not)happening: new drive is not shown under my computer and is not listed under device manager, in bios under onboard pci device the serial ata controller is shown as enabled

not sure what i have done wrong here any advice is apreciated ty for your time

Arms1
05-14-2004, 01:46 PM
hi folks, need your help again. just bought a new sata hd and unfortunately it isnt being recognized so heres what i have done and planned to do according to the instructions i was given at the computer store.
1; what i planned to do: install sata drive and then ghost image from current drive (ide) to the new one
2; what i did: installed sata driver to old hd, then plugged in sata drive and connected cable to sata1 on my nf7sv2 board
3; whats (not)happening: new drive is not shown under my computer and is not listed under device manager, in bios under onboard pci device the serial ata controller is shown as enabled

not sure what i have done wrong here any advice is apreciated ty for your time

georgeo76
05-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Did you remember to connect the power cord?

Did you properly set up the master/slave jumpers?

jwsm
05-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Also, look here:http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=c3453347b7db86dd6f96029a2ba34c14&threadid=37734

S!

Weather_Man
05-14-2004, 03:47 PM
I had problems with BIOS v21 not recognizing the drive. Going back to v20 solved it. Since then, v23 has been released which hopefully resolved that. If not, go back to v20.

I was setting up a RAID0, so had to install the RAID controller from the floppy that came with the mobo during the Windows install (F6 at the beginning). Not sure if you have to do that just to use the SATA, but it wouldn't hurt.

BTW, there are no jumper settings required for SATA drives.

Arms1
05-15-2004, 08:35 PM
thanks for the replies, installed bios v20 and now new drive shows under device manager as installed and functioning properly and shows also during boot sequence but still doesnt show up as listed under my computer and norton ghost can only find my other drive (c), halfway there now any other additional advice would be appreciated, going to keep working at it and ill update if any success achieved
thanks again

Weather_Man
05-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Is it formatted?

Arms1
05-15-2004, 09:09 PM
no its not formatted, dont know how to do that when i cant see it

Weather_Man
05-15-2004, 09:13 PM
The disk should have come with a utility CD. Set your BIOS to boot from CD first and run the setup utility. It'll format it there.

(It may be on a floppy also).

If you don't have it, you can find the utility on the manufacturers website, or give the model name and I can help you find it.

Then you should reformat from windows disk management once you get it booted before you start using it.

Edit: if you're going to install the OS on this HDD, then you can format during windows setup.

Arms1
05-15-2004, 09:21 PM
ty again, drive was oem so ill go look at the western digital site (drives a wd 120g 7200), the guy at the computer store told me i could just plug it in and ghost an image from my other drive but i guess not, i'll post back tommorrow with an update on my success or lack of http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Arms1
05-16-2004, 11:19 AM
ok its done, didnt have to format it, all i had to do was initialize it and then ghost was able to image it, thanks for the help everyone!