PDA

View Full Version : Concerned RE Fragmentation of Community and Incompatible Game Versions.

ytareh
04-08-2009, 05:56 AM
In the last weeks I have increasingly found that despite having several installs of the game and Mod/Version Switcher that there are more and more servers I can not connect to .I get a Java Integer Mission Loading Error and Timeouts with at least half of my previous fave servers.Now the full real online flying options are few and far between as it is ...Am I alone in thinking that the community is becoming too fragmented with 4.08 and 4.09 Vanilla vs the modded versions AND this new 'Unified Installer' seems to be a bit of a monster in every sense of the word .It is huge and can only be downloaded in many fragments yet some servers are unusable without it apparently.
Also has anyone found that even with the TIR 6DOF option disabled that their view 'floats about an axis' with certain versions of 4.09 modded?

ytareh
04-08-2009, 05:56 AM
In the last weeks I have increasingly found that despite having several installs of the game and Mod/Version Switcher that there are more and more servers I can not connect to .I get a Java Integer Mission Loading Error and Timeouts with at least half of my previous fave servers.Now the full real online flying options are few and far between as it is ...Am I alone in thinking that the community is becoming too fragmented with 4.08 and 4.09 Vanilla vs the modded versions AND this new 'Unified Installer' seems to be a bit of a monster in every sense of the word .It is huge and can only be downloaded in many fragments yet some servers are unusable without it apparently.
Also has anyone found that even with the TIR 6DOF option disabled that their view 'floats about an axis' with certain versions of 4.09 modded?

Skoshi Tiger
04-08-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm running straight 4.8 and go on mod friendly servers. The only problems I get if if I try to use a plane that normally AI. As I don'thave the MODS I can't fly that plane.

Luckly so far the mission designers have given me the option of stock planes.

Feathered_IV
04-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Best thing to do is download that UI. It is the best solution for those who are not very experienced with how the game functions.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I've never used any mod packs besides what AAA offers so I'm not familiar with that problem. As for the 6DoF, I've never had it "float" when it was off, seems like it might be on your end. The UI 1.1 is a lot to download but it's easy to install.

Sirrith
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
I havn't had any problems joining servers, and I havn't got the UI, I just download the mods individually, but then again I only play on a few servers. I do sometimes get a map loading error when I try join coops, but then I just go download whatever map I'm missing.

danjama
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Now the full real online flying options are few and far between as it is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this i agree with. Last night i really had trouble finding a game with mroe than 20 people without looking at AAA or skies of fire, which have the exact opposite of settings i like. In the end i had to start hosting my own co-ops but even my games became infested with idiots. I was rammed dead at least 3 times, at least 10 different occasions of people crashing on takeoff, and also alot of TKing. In the end i got sick of it. When i used to have nights like that, i used to just join Warclouds but i can't even do that now because nobody used it.

By the way last night i was running 4.08m standard for my co-ops, and i'm starting to get ****ed off with people joining and complaining when they cant select the plane they want. This is something that happens when they have mods ON and the Host has them OFF. IF IT SAYS STANDARD THEN USE STANDARD YOU IDIOTS.

So yea i agree with you from a couple of perspectives, but i am loving the mods regardless.

xTHRUDx
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Now this i agree with. Last night i really had trouble finding a game with mroe than 20 people without looking at AAA or skies of fire, which have the exact opposite of settings i like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you were using HL, then you only saw those that went thru HL and missed the rest.

here's server all full real with UI 1.11
i bet you didn't see this count on HL. Direct IP
http://www.airwarfiles.com/TempFiles/TS_Mega14.jpg

crucislancer
04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I recently started flying online again after a bit of a break, and it seems like most of my favorites are using mods now. I can see what the OP means about fragmented, there are at least 3 game versions that are floating around on HL at the same time, plus one or two that might need a new plane to be added that isn't in the UI. It seems like only a couple of months ago that I could get onto any server I wanted to play on with 4.08m except for the AAA server, now half of them need 4.09 with mods. It would be nice if these mod-only servers were set up in a different room from the 4.08 ones.

Danjama, were you hosting a coop on Sunday? I nearly joined, but RL grabbed me by the ears and pulled so I had to log off. Too bad your experiences with hosting didn't go very well.

Also, slightly off topic, but I've noticed that some servers that used to be the bastion of honorable game play have had an increase in meathead rule-breaking players. I had one guy, either Sunday or Monday night, who disconnected two seperate times when I had a bead on him, and must have been leaning on his print screen button as well. He had a buddy that tried some of the same tricks. That's just one example of some unsportsmanlike conduct on some servers. perhaps I'm just unlucky and I run into a bunch of these noobs at the same time, I don't know.

Lt_Letum
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
That is more than a little misleading Thrud.

xTHRUDx
04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
no, it proves my point that HL misses a lot when scanning servers.

danjama
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
That screenshot is showing the Mega Mission so it is misleading.

Hey Lancer, i probably was, i host a few almost every night, and especially so if it's a slow night. Next time join, i run some good missions, just trying to find the time to make some new ones.

crucislancer
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
Hey Lancer, i probably was, i host a few almost every night, and especially so if it's a slow night. Next time join, i run some good missions, just trying to find the time to make some new ones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, I'll do that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Like I said, RL (in the form of kids) came into play, so I had to go. They love to wake up from their nap right when I'm getting my stride.

T_O_A_D
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
My TIR in modded version the Roll/tilt axis workes even when not activated too.

I just ignore it, figuring its a bug of a hack.

ElAurens
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
6dof has never worked well for me in any version of the mods. And, it's implementation seems to vary from aircraft to aircraft.

Meh. Even in other games I don't find 6dof to be the wonder of wonders that most people think it is.

na85
04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
After flying with it on forgotten skies for a long time and then jumping on Spits/109s last night I did miss the 6dof, but it's not a deal breaker.

DKoor
04-09-2009, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Also has anyone found that even with the TIR 6DOF option disabled that their view 'floats about an axis' with certain versions of 4.09 modded? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree... plus you are literally forced to have a modded game with many of its content which you don't really want.
For instance I don't like new sounds at all yet I'm forced to have them in order to fly on CRT=2 servers.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Hmm, I wonder whats going on with you guys having 6DOF issues. I've never experienced any of those problems and I switch between 4.08 with and without mod and 4.09 with and without mod regularly.

ytareh
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
@TOAD Well Thank God somebody else knows what Im talking about, I was beginning to wonder if I was imagining it!Its like being on a Spit Roast (oh er missus -any glib references to WW2 fighters please!) and being slowly and randomly moved around an axis .Im on TIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion and have same issues with BOB:WOV.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Something I did that helped with the roll axis with 6DOF is set a big deadzone right in the center of the roll so you really have to tilt your head before it moves.