PDA

View Full Version : stuvi gunsight stuka help

redtails_059
10-28-2008, 08:28 AM
how is it possible to enter the dive speed on the stuvi gunsight in a dive. it is not possible. Or have i got it wrong. Entering the altitude is simple. but the dive speed? help please

LEBillfish
10-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Well just like altitude you set up controls. They're the same buttons you would use in a level bomber. So my guess is it is a matter of knowing your aircraft, and controlling the IAS to some degree (which naturally alters your TAS).

IOW.....You know what altitude you'll drop at, you through experience and control will insure at that altitude based upon a dive angle (dive too steep speed increases, to shallow not enough) your dive speed will be where you want it.........Now I'm just speculating at this point, yet it might be the Stuvi via tracking the target is to some degree calculating this for you.

Might be fun to finally try and learn it on my end.

Using the Stuvi gunsight

Before the dive in your Ju-87D-5 you must set your dive airspeed (true) by buttons "Increase Sight Velocity" and "Decrease Sight Velocity" and bomb drop altitude by buttons "Increase Sight Altitude" and "Decrease Sight Altitude". When the plane enters the dive you must place the crosshairs onto your target and keep it there. When the plane reaches the preset altitude the warning horn will sound. The pilot should drop the bombs at this point, after which point the plane will be automatically leveled off.

redtails_059
10-28-2008, 11:30 AM
thanks. but wha i wanted to know was how is the dive speed determined when in a dive speed is constantly changing.

LEBillfish
10-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by redtails_059:
thanks. but wha i wanted to know was how is the dive speed determined when in a dive speed is constantly changing.

Experience....Though just faking numbers you'll learn that if at 3km, your drop altitude 1km, on a 45 degree glide slope with airbrakes at 45% throttle 45% prop pitch your speed will be XXX km/h by 1000m.

However again, it is possible that the sight compensates for you....Otherwise what good is it?

Experiment a little....You tell us...Maybe you'll be our JU87-5 expert!

K2

Art-J
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Pretty much as LB wrote above, first you have to choose certain altitude / dive angle / throttle setting that is most comfortable for you. Unfortunately, In order to use Stuvi efficiently, you will have to remeber these parameters and stick to them from now on, during every mission. It's not as "smart" device as the modern ones!

Then, by trial and error, you have to check what true airspeed your plane is reaching just at the altitude you plan to drop your bombs from. As you noticed, the speed changes pretty fast so this might be a little tricky, several test-runs will be necessary. When you know these numbers, set them in your sight so that it knows: a) where to put that magic little horizontal aiming bar across the central line; b) when to start the horn sound.

Before you dive don't forget to trim your rudder precisely for the drop speed!

Cheers - Art

LEBillfish
10-28-2008, 12:44 PM
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=280

pictures and everything....

K2