PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who liked the Desmond's Journey missions?

ace3001
11-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Anyone?

This might be kinda rant material, but please bear with me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
What were the guys and girls at Ubisoft Montreal thinking when they thought this would be a good idea? In vain this and that ridiculous Den Defense caused a slight lowering of review scores. IMO, Den Defense is okay compared to this.

I have so far played only the first three parts of Desmond's Journey, and frankly, even the bits of story that it uncovers is pretty much lackluster. Add that to the horrendous gameplay of going "DHUG-DHUG DHUG-DHUG" (my way of describing that annoying sound that comes when a block is placed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) placing blocks and walking over them, I'm not sure whether it's even worth looking for more data fragments.

UGH. In one hand, I'm curious as to how Desmond's story will progress through that, but in the other, I'm really not relishing the thought of more building block gameplay.

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I liked The Desmond memories, because of the fact that it was something different (Im open to different things) and because of its handeling of the recollection of the memories themselves, and how when desmond comments about certain events in his life; the environment seems to become a manifestation of that specific memory, not necessarily a cutscene..

LightRey
11-27-2011, 09:14 AM
The only people who seem to dislike Den Defense are the people that keep failing at it. It's actually a fun, well worked out idea.

I very much liked the Desmond's Journey missions. They were a nice change of pace and they gave lots of info about his history.

maxriderules
11-27-2011, 09:27 AM
They were definitely an interesting idea, and I think it was a good way to show Desmonds past. What would you have done? normal gameplay wouldn't fit, and cutscenes would have been far worse than interesting puzzles with the environment mirroring the memory.

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by maxriderules:
They were definitely an interesting idea, and I think it was a good way to show Desmonds past. What would you have done? normal gameplay wouldn't fit, and cutscenes would have been far worse than interesting puzzles with the environment mirroring the memory.
I guess thats what people came to expect..
Expectation, however is the first road towards disappointment..

LightRey
11-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Assassin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maxriderules:
Expectation, however is the first road towards disappointment.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True. Especially if such expectations are unrealistic.

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maxriderules:
Expectation, however is the first road towards disappointment.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True. Especially if such expectations are unrealistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well TBH, Thats what i expected too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
But I was completely blown away and actually liked my disappointment :P

LightRey
11-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Well TBH, Thats what i expected too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Well if you can deal with it like that then it's ok. In the end it's not so much the expectations that create disappointment, but rather the lack of open-mindedness.

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Assassin_M:
Well if you can deal with it like that then it's ok. In the end it's not so much the expectations that create disappointment, but rather the lack of open-mindedness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, yes thats the right word.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Il_Divo
11-27-2011, 10:27 AM
I thought they were a great method of exploring Desmond's past, while taking advantage of all the unique strengths of gaming as a genre.

The fps perspective was unexpected, but I thought it was refreshing and reminded me alot of Portal.I think it was a better, more interactive approach, than if we were simply made to watch cut-scenes of him escaping the farm, etc.

LightRey
11-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
I thought they were a great method of exploring Desmond's past, while taking advantage of all the unique strengths of gaming as a genre.

The fps perspective was unexpected, but I thought it was refreshing and reminded me alot of Portal.I think it was a better, more interactive approach, than if we were simply made to watch cut-scenes of him escaping the farm, etc.
Man, I should really play Portal sometime...

Il_Divo
11-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Man, I should really play Portal sometime...

Now would be a great time, especially with Steam doing all these awesome game sales lately. I think the Portal 1 and 2 one is over, but I'm pretty sure they'll be doing it again at some point.

If you liked Desmond's Journey (which uses Portal's source engine), there's a pretty good shot you'll like Portal 2.

Edit: I stand corrected! Portal is going for $5 right now and Portal 2 for $15. A bargain!

BK-110
11-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I actually liked them a lot. The surreal, mysterious feel was great. The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't include any kinds of cutscenes. On the other hand, they did something that kind of fitted better with the atmosphere: They told his story mainly through sounds, the narration and the environment. But small fragments of videos showing on the walls instead of pictures could have been nice.

S-EVANS
11-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Dont care much for them myself to be honest but since the best they unlock is multiplayer emblems and im sure not interested in that, i dont care if they get completed at all...

So dont really bother me if im extrememly bored one day i might do another one...

raven11d
11-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Well if you can deal with it like that then it's ok. In the end it's not so much the expectations that create disappointment, but rather the lack of open-mindedness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so now if someone didn't like it they are not open-minded?
ppl have the freedom to like or dislike whatever they want, without the need to be called narrow minded. i didn't like the desmond sequences. why? not bc i didn't like a change but bc it was utterly boring. they could have handled it otherwise and to be frankly, what we got to know about desmond was common knowledge and sense really. so he lived in a commune .. we knew that already from AC1. so he got trained .. well duh. so he escaped .. again, common knowledge since AC1. he became a bartender in NY .. hate to repeat myself but, known since AC1. and the last desmond sequence *drumroll* he got captured by abstergo .. hmmm, could it be that we knew that already from AC1?

and what big revelations? of course we know some new things, afterall we all just played a brand new game. however we didn't get answers on the questions we all had from the previous AC games such as

1. why the hell did Lucy have to die
2. what are the freakin red footsteps in brotherhood
3. what was all the rambling about from subject 16 in the truth puzzles

and so on

Steww-
11-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I liked The Desmond memories, because of the fact that it was something different (Im open to different things) and because of its handeling of the recollection of the memories themselves, and how when desmond comments about certain events in his life; the environment seems to become a manifestation of that specific memory, not necessarily a cutscene..

I agree entirely. The memories were well worked and cleared up his backstory.

Den defence is fairly easy to avoid if you hate it that much, but personally I feel it was a nice break from the usual gameplay.

To the post above me - what were you expecting? If Desmond - the character we play as - had any plot changing secrets in his background, he's going to reveal them before now.

Orginally posted by raven11d:

1. To send Desmond into his coma, which revealed to him what he had to do.
2. Meaningless. They were left in the game, but originally served as a guide back to the Villa. That's already been confirmed.
3. It's up to you to work out what his rambling meant, or read some of the thoughts on here. I do feel Desmond could have asked 16 about some things, but I expect that was left out for story reasons.

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by raven11d:

and what big revelations? of course we know some new things, afterall we all just played a brand new game. however we didn't get answers on the questions we all had from the previous AC games such as

and so on

1-Well, Lucy was another part of the grand plan of those who came before, she was killed to put desmond in a coma via shock and to eliminate any possible union between them, because she is not the one to accompany him through the "Gate"

2-The devs said that the red footsteps are just to show you the way back to the sanctuary.

3-I dont really understand this one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cless711
11-27-2011, 12:05 PM
The only people who seem to dislike Den Defense are the people that keep failing at it. It's actually a fun, well worked out idea.

I very much liked the Desmond's Journey missions. They were a nice change of pace and they gave lots of info about his history.

This

I like the Den Defence game, however, i have 7 master assassins, which means all my dens are covered, and i really want to play den defense again and Master Assassins do not die what so ever XD. I sent one on a mission to die once and it said that he was injured during the mission and would be back in action in 11 minutes. So.. yeah i am starting a new game to play some den defense.

zhengyingli
11-27-2011, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

so now if someone didn't like it they are not open-minded?
ppl have the freedom to like or dislike whatever they want, without the need to be called narrow minded. i didn't like the desmond sequences. why? not bc i didn't like a change but bc it was utterly boring. they could have handled it otherwise and to be frankly, what we got to know about desmond was common knowledge and sense really. so he lived in a commune .. we knew that already from AC1. so he got trained .. well duh. so he escaped .. again, common knowledge since AC1. he became a bartender in NY .. hate to repeat myself but, known since AC1. and the last desmond sequence *drumroll* he got captured by abstergo .. hmmm, could it be that we knew that already from AC1?

and so on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, we knew Desmond's story from playing AC1. We never got to know his retrospective of said story, however. Some people may dismiss Desmond acting emo (sorry for the misuse of the word), but what that does is showing us the change in Desmond's character from the old days to the present. Whether or not that's relevant is pure opinion. If you don't care about those things, the ethereal music and abstract art (which resembles the shapes relevant to Desmond's narration at the moment) alone are enough (for me) to appreciate the work that went into it. An open mind is sorted of needed to appreciate abstract art, I think.

As for the purpose of Lucy's death, Juno manipulated Desmond into killing Lucy in order to send Desmond straight back to the Animus so he can awaken the Sixth, which was what Desmond eventually achieved. It's kind of obvious.

About the red footsteps, don't worry about them. They were nothing more than a guide to lead players back to the Sanctuary. The color red was totally an oversight. The devs said it themselves.

Subject 16's rambling. I remember hearing something about those during different conferences, but the impression I got was that the ramblings are not important, at least not at this point in time.

raven11d
11-27-2011, 12:28 PM

1-Well, Lucy was another part of the grand plan of those who came before, she was killed to put desmond in a coma via shock and to eliminate any possible union between them, because she is not the one to accompany him through the "Gate"

2-The devs said that the red footsteps are just to show you the way back to the sanctuary.

3-I dont really understand this one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

1. if that is the only reason she died then yes, i am dissapointed bc that's not how you should get rid of 1 of the main characters. that was the big cliffhanger from brotherhood and to have not a single new element about it is a big let down. besides, it is still speculation and not FACT. only thing that is fact is that she is dead and 6 feet under.

2. didn't kow that, was hoping for something more.

3. after the 10 "truth" puzzles you get a final puzzle where you keep climbing utill you get to meet a digitalised subject 16. all his rambling was food for speculation and ppl have come up with dozens of theories and nothing what so ever got revealed now

i do't mind new questions being raised ( more then enough questions have been raised in revelations btw ), on the contrary that's 1 of the things i like about AC. but i also would like answers on questions raised in the previous AC games instead of a lot of specualtion and theories

Wiltonsjs
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Having a problem with the second gateway (memories 6-10). I get to a "pit" that won't let me place any "bricks" over it...looks like the only way ahead is to get to the bottom of this pit...already tried going "up" which got me nowhere. Help!!!

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM

1. if that is the only reason she died then yes, i am dissapointed bc that's not how you should get rid of 1 of the main characters. that was the big cliffhanger from brotherhood and to have not a single new element about it is a big let down. besides, it is still speculation and not FACT. only thing that is fact is that she is dead and 6 feet under.

2. didn't kow that, was hoping for something more.

3. after the 10 "truth" puzzles you get a final puzzle where you keep climbing utill you get to meet a digitalised subject 16. all his rambling was food for speculation and ppl have come up with dozens of theories and nothing what so ever got revealed now

i do't mind new questions being raised ( more then enough questions have been raised in revelations btw ), on the contrary that's 1 of the things i like about AC. but i also would like answers on questions raised in the previous AC games instead of a lot of specualtion and theories </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Number one is not speculation, mind you; If you`v taken good care in listening and focusing in each word said then you`d know that it is a fact.

and your reaction to number 2 gives me the impression that you just want to fault the game with no specific reason, and Number 3 I believe is to be answered in AC III.. like I said revelations is not the Last AC game..

raven11d
11-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by zhengyingli:

Yes, we knew Desmond's story from playing AC1. We never got to know his retrospective of said story, however. Some people may dismiss Desmond acting emo (sorry for the misuse of the word), but what that does is showing us the change in Desmond's character from the old days to the present. Whether or not that's relevant is pure opinion. If you don't care about those things, the ethereal music and abstract art (which resembles the shapes relevant to Desmond's narration at the moment) alone are enough (for me) to appreciate the work that went into it. An open mind is sorted of needed to appreciate abstract art, I think.

i took offense on being called narrow minded just bc of i don't like a specific thing. like i said i think more could have been done with it and the gameplay wasn't enjoyable .. IMO. for example the whole 5 sequences could have been in just 1 and the 4 others could have been used for some new info on Desmond. we already saw the change in character in Desmond through the 1st 3 games. in AC1 we got to know about him disliking growing up in the assassins order and runing away from it. and along AC2 and brotherhood we saw him evolve into an assassin, both in skill and mentality. there was really nothing new revealed in the desmond sequences, not in facts and neither in state of mind of desmond.

aside from that i do appreciate them trying out new things and i hope there will be some surprises in AC3 too, but that doesn't mean i and others can't dislike how they worked it out in ACR

raven11d
11-27-2011, 12:46 PM

and your reaction to number 2 gives me the impression that you just want to fault the game with no specific reason

what is that supposed to mean? i thought it was something important, someone said it was just the way back to the mansion, i didn't know that .. in what way what so ever am i blaming fault on anyone for anything about that???

Steww-
11-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Can you give an example of the sort of thing you expected to be revealed?

Skuldpt
11-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I hate them, and who Ubi made the 1st person view, it looks like Desmond is crawling or something, he is like "glued" to the ground! And I dislike the block placing thing, it's.... kinda.... sorta..... stupid....

Assassin_M
11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Skuldpt:
I hate them, and who Ubi made the 1st person view, it looks like Desmond is crawling or something, he is like "glued" to the ground! And I dislike the block placing thing, it's.... kinda.... sorta..... stupid....
Hmmm the 3rd disliker of the desmond sequences is here..
You know its funny, how this thread was supposed to gather the people who hate the desmond sequences, and yet the people who enjoyed it are the current majority here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Skuldpt, you are still my buddy and i respect your opinion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

zhengyingli
11-27-2011, 12:56 PM

and your reaction to number 2 gives me the impression that you just want to fault the game with no specific reason

Dude, that's totally a legit reason to complain. I wasn't told about the footsteps until a few days ago. Even an avid fan (like me) who follows no panels (also, like me), would never guess the footsteps' true purpose..........and the red didn't help, either.

Skuldpt
11-27-2011, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skuldpt:
Hmmm the 3rd disliker of the desmond sequences is here..
You know its funny, how this thread was supposed to gather the people who hate the desmond sequences, and yet the people who enjoyed it are the current majority here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Skuldpt, you are still my buddy and i respect your opinion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, yeah, but when they said 1st person I thought the way we were going to see was going to be something like BF3, COD, CS or something like that or Mirror's Edge, when I played the 1st Desmond's Sequence I was like, all my work to get these fragments for this???? I was disappointed. Ubi could improve this sequences a lot more for sure!

S-EVANS
11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
To be fair even if i was to enjoy they are a bit boring really...

Tetris is a game that uses blocks and even more simplier in design but far more fun to play. Theres no real interaction with the desmond Journeys and in all fairness for what tiny information they contain perhaps a data entry would have surficed.

I suspect that because desmond is in theory trapped inside the animus in the manner that is, there couldnt really grant him access to the huds display like in the original, and furthermore he cant really stop for a break like in the latest games.

So in order to make the whole concept feel better they required additional content so subject 16 became for all intense and purposes desmonds missing aids. and just to make it feel a little more polished of (maybe to set the stage for the next game perhaps) they came up with the jounerys.

The focus behind those journeys was probably because they felt since desmond is now stuck in a world with nothing but raw data and basic effects it would essentially be part of that, therefore it would hold is memorys.

who knows maybe the two empty gateways are further storylines which revolve around subject16 since hes also stuck on animus island, anyway you cut it...

they pretty boring, even after a couple of beers!!!

An1Stark
11-27-2011, 01:29 PM
ya i liked them ofc it was first person view which is pretty rare to see in the ac universe but over all it really tells you sooo much about Desmond and he previous life and his childhood in more detailed way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Scottgun00
11-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Don't like them. I was hoping Desmond would say the old Shadow Warriors line: "I'd rather kick *** than solve puzzles."

Serrachio
11-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I didn't mind them too much, I just felt that walking along and hearing Desmond talk doesn't really base yourself in his character.

I felt that having brief flashes of cutscenes with the talking would have been a better prosect, maybe when he interacts with the Blue Hands needed to go forward.

ace3001
11-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Many seem to like Desmond's Journey. Wish I could, somehow. But then again, I see people comparing this to Portal. To me, Portal is amazing, not like this thing. Only thing this does better is art style. But that's to be expected out of an Assassin's Creed game.
For me, what Kevin VanOrd from Gamespot says is spot on:

Revelations tries a more thoughtful approach but falls short. Subject 16 starts as a mystery and remains one, making for an unsatisfactory replacement for the team with which Desmond has typically interacted. Meanwhile, Desmond passes through those shining portals and into his own memories. These memory levels are made of gray columns and tiled floors that glisten and undulate like digital rivers. You move through them in first-person view while Desmond talks himself through the pain of his past. This synthetic cyberspace makes for an effective backdrop, but the accompanying gameplay is anything but fun. You create blocks and ramps out of thin air to pass through these levels, but moving across them feels flat, and jumping is inexact. The flatness turns to frustration as you encounter gusts that move the blocks you create, and deal with energy fields that cause them to dissipate. These levels are one of Revelations' many attempts to force elements into a game that doesn't benefit from them.
Oh, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. You can't find someone with a mind so open that he/she would like everything in existance. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Agentbarto
11-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I kinda liked the segments. Some of the Desmond's reflections on his past were actually quite poetic without sounding too pretentious; the heavy sensory imagery during his recollection of the clubs comes to mind. The narrative journey is all very cathartic without too much chaos. A nice change of pace from the usual chaotic catharsis that is the Templar-Assassin war.

Another thing that really made it a good experience was the music, though I do wish it were released on a soundtrack.

The only letdown was that the journey into his past didn't reveal new facts, but rather elaborated on what we already knew; I just wanted more out of Ubi.

Schmagelborfer
11-28-2011, 03:17 AM
to anyone who really, really enjoys the desmond journeys:

go buy Portal 2, all i felt when i played journey one was "i already played portal, how is this considered assassin's creed?" and oddly enough the guy who does shaun hastings does the sphere robot(forget the name) voice in portal 2

EscoBlades
11-28-2011, 03:33 AM

THIS! All day long.

Smegger_56
11-28-2011, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
Anyone?

This might be kinda rant material, but please bear with me. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
What were the guys and girls at Ubisoft Montreal thinking when they thought this would be a good idea? In vain this and that ridiculous Den Defense caused a slight lowering of review scores. IMO, Den Defense is okay compared to this.

I have so far played only the first three parts of Desmond's Journey, and frankly, even the bits of story that it uncovers is pretty much lackluster. Add that to the horrendous gameplay of going "DHUG-DHUG DHUG-DHUG" (my way of describing that annoying sound that comes when a block is placed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) placing blocks and walking over them, I'm not sure whether it's even worth looking for more data fragments.

UGH. In one hand, I'm curious as to how Desmond's story will progress through that, but in the other, I'm really not relishing the thought of more building block gameplay.

I thought they where great. In fact, when before I played my first one, I was struggling to get into Revelations. Playing the first one, it took me by surprise, but man, was it fun.

The whole thing reminded me of Portal. Ok, it didn't have the 'portal' gun, but I really got that vibe. Great fun. Really kicked off the whole game for me at that point.

Top marks to Ubisoft for doing something different... and it working :-)

ace3001
11-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by EscoBlades:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

THIS! All day long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I got through the mandatory one on my first try (I usually fail at tactical stuff, so this must be pretty easy. Is it actually possible to fail at it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ), and I never came back to it. Just kept on bribing heralds. Once I went to "aware" state after that Janissary disguise mission, but it didn't start a Den Defense mission. I dunno about you guys, but I just see no reason to play that again.

RzaRecta357
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I LOVED the Desmond scenes. People say you don't learn much but WTF are you bad at comprehension? You learn what Desmond real personality is besides being freaked out or forced to fight.

Lucy is dead but I doubt for good. They loved each other. She told Shaun she liked Desmond. They stared each other in the eyes. I'm assuming they find a way to save her although if they don't that's also good and realistic. No one knows.

I was a bit disappointed about 16 not revealing more. Seemed like wasted opportunity.

Also, Shaun/ Danny wallace DID NOT voice the Portal 2 guy. Shaun is a good voice actor but he COULD NOT do what Stephan Merchant did in Portal 2.

I don't think he has THAT skill.

Schmagelborfer
11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
I LOVED the Desmond scenes. People say you don't learn much but WTF are you bad at comprehension? You learn what Desmond real personality is besides being freaked out or forced to fight.

Lucy is dead but I doubt for good. They loved each other. She told Shaun she liked Desmond. They stared each other in the eyes. I'm assuming they find a way to save her although if they don't that's also good and realistic. No one knows.

I was a bit disappointed about 16 not revealing more. Seemed like wasted opportunity.

Also, Shaun/ Danny wallace DID NOT voice the Portal 2 guy. Shaun is a good voice actor but he COULD NOT do what Stephan Merchant did in Portal 2.

I don't think he has THAT skill. really? it sounded to me when i played portal 2 that they were the same voice, they sound very similar but this is news to me lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

twenty_glyphs
11-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Especially outside of these forums, Den Defense has been widely criticized as boring, pointless and completely out of place in Assassin's Creed, and I seriously doubt all of those people were bad at it. Besides, if the vast majority of people weren't good at that mini-game, that is a symptom of a poorly-designed game element.

I beat 6 or 7 Den Defenses and only lost once, but there was nothing fun about it that made me want to play it. If someone wasn't good at it, I understand why since the game doesn't even tell you how to play it well. The first time I played the mandatory one, I thought I got it. Then the next time it suddenly drops you into an intro screen with no real explanation that you're looking at the opponent elements you'll be facing and can't get back to that screen. Then I only discovered by accident later on that you could swap out different types of barricades and whatnot at the intro screen to the session.

In addition, the interface for placing elements feels clunky, and bringing up the weapon wheel doesn't pause the action like the normal weapon wheel. That just feels odd since we're all used to the pause. Another gripe is the defense sessions always last 5 minutes or more, which just feels like too long.

I liked that the Templars tried to take back your den, and I really liked how their presence on the map around your den went way up and made it a challenge to sneak back in there. I think they should have built on that and had the defense mechanism been something in-game so it didn't feel so disjointed and separate from the main game.

Now, on to the original topic. I actually did enjoy the Desmond's Journey segments even though finding out they were first person was a big surprise. I appreciate that they tried something new and thought it fit within the story pretty well. Unfortunately, the story elements of the Desmond segments just weren't there. I had all kind of patience for The Truth elements in AC2 and really strove to master them even though it was so different from anything I'd ever played. The sole reason I did that was because the story revealed in them was interesting and kept making me want to come back for more. Desmond's story had some nice details and I liked how he finally accepted who he was, but it just wasn't a very compelling story.

And yes, I actually expected significant revelations about Desmond's past because of the way they talked up that feature. In all interviews where they talked about this, they made it sound like we were really going to learn some interesting things about Desmond. Otherwise, what's the point of exploring his memories if they're just going to be slightly more detailed versions of what we already knew in AC1?

LightRey
11-28-2011, 09:38 AM
It's optional. You only have to play it once and that's a freaking tutorial. If you don't like it, don't play it. Sheesh.

I don't like the mercenary fights you can place bets on and you don't see me playing them either.

itsamea-mario
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I quite liked the Desmond sequences.

But they did leave quite a bit to the imagination, and I was hoping for something a bit more at the ending.

woowu
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I have finished all Desmond sections and they were not that bad. In fact, they did bring a nice change of pace in the platforming which I liked.

The problem is, the rest of the game which is the same deal since AC2 and even if it looks better and has X or Y as a new element, it's still the same thing. The formula is getting a bit stale, and Ubi must really pull some strings for AC3 to be more hit than miss. Maybe they should work on the AI because it's utterly moronic and the core gameplay pillars.

twenty_glyphs
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
It's optional. You only have to play it once and that's a freaking tutorial. If you don't like it, don't play it. Sheesh.

I don't like the mercenary fights you can place bets on and you don't see me playing them either.

Den Defense is not entirely optional like the Fight Ring, it's still always there to bug you. I believe they said you could just ignore a den being attacked and eventually it would get taken back over, but that only happened to me once. For a lot of the game I had 3 dens under attack at once for hours at a time, across 2 or 3 story sequences. So I would still have to go back over and at least start a Den Defense and fail just to set up the possibility to recapture that den, so I simply played them through to completion instead. It's an optional feature that's still tied into the core of the game, so it's hard to ignore.

And even so, I'm not complaining about the game forcing me to play it. I played it several times to try to give it a chance. I'm just commenting on how it feels out of place and not fun in this game. I'm just giving my opinion about a feature that was talked about as a major new feature by the developers since the game was announced in May, unlike the Fight Ring, which was never mentioned once by a developer for either of the last two games. Is that really such a crime?

Schmagelborfer
11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
i imagined den defenses being ezio and the recruits outside the front door and templars mass attacking and you have to hold them off for either a time limit or ememy limit. sounded cool until i played it which made me want to have all the dens be locked ASAP

RzaRecta357
11-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

Den Defense is not entirely optional like the Fight Ring, it's still always there to bug you. I believe they said you could just ignore a den being attacked and eventually it would get taken back over, but that only happened to me once. For a lot of the game I had 3 dens under attack at once for hours at a time, across 2 or 3 story sequences. So I would still have to go back over and at least start a Den Defense and fail just to set up the possibility to recapture that den, so I simply played them through to completion instead. It's an optional feature that's still tied into the core of the game, so it's hard to ignore.

And even so, I'm not complaining about the game forcing me to play it. I played it several times to try to give it a chance. I'm just commenting on how it feels out of place and not fun in this game. I'm just giving my opinion about a feature that was talked about as a major new feature by the developers since the game was announced in May, unlike the Fight Ring, which was never mentioned once by a developer for either of the last two games. Is that really such a crime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I thought they were supposed to just be taken if you were to slow also.

I ended up having to just go there and let it fail on my second playthrough.

Only did the defense once on my initial playthrough as it's so easy to avoid.

crash3
11-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Wasnt hugely impressed, I thought we would get proper cinematics of Desmond as a child or something, instead it was some narrative thing that we had to carefully listen to while we try to avoid falling into the animus. It wasnt very impressive as first-person either

LightRey
11-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

And even so, I'm not complaining about the game forcing me to play it. I played it several times to try to give it a chance. I'm just commenting on how it feels out of place and not fun in this game. I'm just giving my opinion about a feature that was talked about as a major new feature by the developers since the game was announced in May, unlike the Fight Ring, which was never mentioned once by a developer for either of the last two games. Is that really such a crime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just finished my second playthrough and I didn't even trigger a den defense once. It's very easy to avoid it altogether.

Schmagelborfer
11-28-2011, 11:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

I just finished my second playthrough and I didn't even trigger a den defense once. It's very easy to avoid it altogether. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you're right there, my first playthrough i only did the tutorial den defense and no real ones, just gotta keep an eye on the notoriety

zhengyingli
11-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Schmagelborfer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

I just finished my second playthrough and I didn't even trigger a den defense once. It's very easy to avoid it altogether. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you're right there, my first playthrough i only did the tutorial den defense and no real ones, just gotta keep an eye on the notoriety </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am neither for nor against den defense; it's fun, but very clunky. As for ignoring den defense, simply bribe two heralds for the first half of the notoriety, and either bribe two more heralds, or kill a witness. No, it's not based on any sort of time limit, y'all probably just did something illegal after reaching full notoriety.

rocketxsurgeon
11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I enjoyed the Desmond missions, i thought Ubisoft would expand on the story though, not much of a revelation.