PDA

View Full Version : A-20 defensive armament question.

Hanglands
04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi,

The A-20 C had seven .303 machine guns. I wonder if anyone here can answer these questions about them :

How many rounds of ammunition would have been carried per gun as a matter of routine?

And would anybody know roughly how much this ammunition would have weighed?

Many thanks.

Hanglands
04-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi,

The A-20 C had seven .303 machine guns. I wonder if anyone here can answer these questions about them :

How many rounds of ammunition would have been carried per gun as a matter of routine?

And would anybody know roughly how much this ammunition would have weighed?

Many thanks.

horseback
04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Seven guns? AFAIK, the Havoc/Boston carried 4 in the nose flanking the bombardier's position, and two in the rear gunner's spot.

In practice, the lower rear/dustbin position was rarely used, and the gun was often removed. US examples used .30s rather than .303, the French used 7.5mm I think, and other Lend Lease users probably used the US .30 in most cases, although the Soviets were known to install one of their powered turret systems with a 12.7mm gun turret similar to the one in the Su-2 in the rear position, in both the early C type as well as the later J models.

Don't have the weight data in memory stores, so will have to refer to references when I get off work.

cheers

horseback

Hanglands
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks Horseback. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I got the figure of seven MGs from the object viewer which says :

4x .303 cal machine guns (forward firing)
3x .303 cal machine guns (defensive)

I didn't bother checking anywhere else, so maybe the object viewer data is off?

Anyway, any figures you may have for numbers of rounds per gun and/or the weight of such would be great.

Cheers.

horseback
04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
From an old copy of Combat Aircraft of World War II, by Bill Gunston: (A-20B) tow fixed 0.5in Brownings on sides of nose, one 0.5in manually aimed dorsal, one 0.30in manually aimed ventral. (Boston III bomber) four fixed 0.303in on sides of nose, twin manually aimed 0.303in dorsal, twin manually aimed 0.303in ventral.

He notes further on that some early versions of the A-20 had a fixed rearward firing .30 cal in each nacelle(!).

No figures given on the ammo load, although it was probably substantial for the forward firing guns (these were intended for air to ground rather than air to air), since they were mounted so that the breeches were a bit behind the bombardier's position. There looks like there was lots of room for ammo in the gunner's pit as well...

Unfortunately, my major bomber references are in the icky end of the garage, and it's spider season.

cheers

horseback

Aaron_GT
04-12-2007, 03:30 AM
The A20-C saw early service with No. 23 squadron on intruder missions. I am not clear if these had the glazed or solid noses but they sometimes receive a number of additional forward firing guns, but with the ventral gun deleted (not much point having it on offensive missions at night at low level). If seen reports of the forward armament on these being up to 8 .303s in/around the nose.